BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i think the connecting pipes are limiting your travel on the exhaust. from my experience in installing my exhaust i was able to move it about 1 inch. i do not have connecting pipes. i would try cutting down the connecting pipes. the exhaust expanding when it is hot is normal. theres nothing you can really do about that. good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I have the connecting pipes. The exhaust itself is pushed in far on the pipes. I don't know if you have seen the exhaust in person, but there are mounting brackets on the right and left side of the exhaust. These brackets are what limit you from going in farther and cause the issue.
Yeah, brackets on the sides with a threaded nut on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
i think the connecting pipes are limiting your travel on the exhaust. from my experience in installing my exhaust i was able to move it about 1 inch. i do not have connecting pipes. i would try cutting down the connecting pipes. the exhaust expanding when it is hot is normal. theres nothing you can really do about that. good luck to you.

I have plenty of room to move in and out, that is not the problem. Problem is, if I move in further, the bracket holes to mount the exhaust no longer line up. I have to pull the exhaust back out of the pipes a bit to have the bracket holes line up.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
CT-Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

Is there any exhaust out there for the E90 that doesn't stick out?! Remus does too. I am surprised myself and didnt feel like getting a diffuser.

Looks the same to me.

Mods: Gintani CB | Dinan Intake | Evo Pulley | HRE P40's | Eibach Springs | MS spacers | Matte grills | GP Thunder 7500 | Venture Clear bra
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

That's my car and it does stick out some. The problem is the cans hit the floorpan if you move them any further back. The only correct way to fix this is to shorten the tips.

Exhausts like Encore and Akrapovic that have adjustable tips shouldn't stick out on the E90.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #28
Ben335
Captain
Rep

The Eisenmann are just designed like this. Either you have to live with it or get a diffuser. It is ok from the top, only looks like it is sticking out more from the side. I think I might just get a diffuser to solve the problem. Eisenmann really should redesign the tip lenths. It is a design flaw.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #29
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Bimmer View Post
Is there any exhaust out there for the E90 that doesn't stick out?! Remus does too. I am surprised myself and didnt feel like getting a diffuser.

Looks the same to me.
The AA exhaust was supposedly designed for the E90 first IIRC. From the pics I have seen, it appears to have the best fitment for the sedan. I was trying to decide between the AA and the Eisie Sport, though after reading this thread I am pretty sure I will go the AA route. Agree with Ben, don't think an E90-specific fitment should stick out that much. Also don't want have to pay for a diffuser to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #30
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

The Eisenmann exhaust connecting pipes were designed on an E92 so the connecting pipes need to but cut shorter when they are used on an E90. If you cut the stock exhaust no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #31
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
The AA exhaust was supposedly designed for the E90 first IIRC. From the pics I have seen, it appears to have the best fitment for the sedan. I was trying to decide between the AA and the Eisie Sport, though after reading this thread I am pretty sure I will go the AA route. Agree with Ben, don't think an E90-specific fitment should stick out that much. Also don't want have to pay for a diffuser to make it work.
I have seen the AA and it sticks out the same as mine. Below is a pic of an AA exhaust on a E90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
The Eisenmann exhaust connecting pipes were designed on an E92 so the connecting pipes need to but cut shorter when they are used on an E90. If you cut the stock exhaust no problems.
Actually, this is not exactly true. There is plenty of room to push the exhaust in and even make the tips flush. Issue is, once you do that then the mounting points on the brackets don't line up. There is only so much you can push the exhaust in if you still have the bracket screw holes to line up and mount the exhaust to the car. It is a design issues. The European exhaust are longer in tip style that other exhausts. I have been told this by multiple vendors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #32
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

AA pic

This is what I was thinking of (posted on AA's site.) I wouldn't want this sunk-in look but the tips are adjustable and I wouldn't want a diffuser. If this is cold, it could expand out as others have said but from this angle it looks like it wouldn't stick out as far as the Eisenmann.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #33
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
This is what I was thinking of (posted on AA's site.) I wouldn't want this sunk-in look but the tips are adjustable and I wouldn't want a diffuser. If this is cold, it could expand out as others have said but from this angle it looks like it wouldn't stick out as far as the Eisenmann.

Hard to explain unless you see it in person. The tips don't stick out that much. From certain angles from the side it looks like they do because of the curvature of the rear bumper. It literally is talking about an inch or so. That is why if you fit a diffuser it looks perfect since the side of the diffuser cover that fact that more pipe shows from side angles from the curve of the bumper. E92 and E90 bumpers are shaped differently. E92 Eisenmann exhausts also stick out a bit before a diffuser also. It is just how Eisenmann designed their exhausts and tip length. There is only so much you can adjust it when installing.
Appreciate 0