BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
bullitt5897
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: is300

Tranny News!!!

check out the latest on the ZF 8speed tranny slotted for the BMW lines.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/zf-annou...automatic.html

So this seems to confirm the new tranny will be 8speed auto

I believe thats what the new ///M has been testing

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
check out the latest on the ZF 8speed tranny slotted for the BMW lines.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/zf-annou...automatic.html

So this seems to confirm the new tranny will be 8speed auto

I believe thats what the new ///M has been testing

Mike
2009 7 series... automatic

not Dual clutch DCT

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thats a normal auto, not for M
      05-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
8 speed dual cluch would be perfect fot the M3!

but a normal auto with 8-speeds, not that special, lexus has it...

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Give me an 8 speed auto because I am too lazy to push paddles ;-) Eventually, technology will catch up to the point where the computer knows better than humans. And with their superior reflex we might as well eliminate the human factor. This will open another can of worms like DSG/SMG vs Manual. With a perfect auto you can focus more on steering and completely forget about shifting. Slowly, the computers will chip away the human involvement in the machine. If you disagree you are hating or can't accept new technology.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
Give me an 8 speed auto because I am too lazy to push paddles ;-) Eventually, technology will catch up to the point where the computer knows better than humans. And with their superior reflex we might as well eliminate the human factor. This will open another can of worms like DSG/SMG vs Manual. With a perfect auto you can focus more on steering and completely forget about shifting. Slowly, the computers will chip away the human involvement in the machine. If you disagree you are hating or can't accept new technology.
Ummm.... you know where your argument leads, don't you?

Unless you are being sarcastic............

I'm sure you've seen "The Terminator" movies......
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Ummm.... you know where your argument leads, don't you?

Unless you are being sarcastic............

I'm sure you've seen "The Terminator" movies......
I was being sarcastic. I was putting a spin on the argument people use to state SMG/DSG is better than manual. What point do you stop? I am sure in 10-20 years we will have a car that can drive around a circuit better than any human can. I can sit in my car, do nothing, and go around Laguna Seca faster than you.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
I was being sarcastic. I was putting a spin on the argument people use to state SMG/DSG is better than manual. What point do you stop? I am sure in 10-20 years we will have a car that can drive around a circuit better than any human can. I can sit in my car, do nothing, and go around Laguna Seca faster than you.

loL! Nicely put.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
loL! Nicely put.
what if he realized he was being stupid and said he was kidding...
hmmmm..
lol jk

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

8-speed for better fuel economy

8-speed is for sport automatic. M3 is still being tested with 7-speed M-DCT. 8-speed is going to be trend given that Lexus LS460/600 and IS-F are using it. 8-speed also boosts fuel economy 6% more than 6-speed in similar application. The new ZF transmission has been designed with hybrid and all-wheel-drive in mind.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...73.A12292.html

It won't be difficult for BMW to apply 8-speed M-DCT in future model, one clutch controls odd gears 1,3,5,7,R and other clutch controls even gears 2,4,6,8, looks fairly distributed from mechanical stand point.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
8-speed DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
8-speed is for sport automatic. M3 is still being tested with 7-speed M-DCT. 8-speed is going to be trend given that Lexus LS460/600 and IS-F are using it. 8-speed also boosts fuel economy 6% more than 6-speed in similar application. The new ZF transmission has been designed with hybrid and all-wheel-drive in mind.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...73.A12292.html

It won't be difficult for BMW to apply 8-speed M-DCT in future model, one clutch controls odd gears 1,3,5,7,R and other clutch controls even gears 2,4,6,8, looks fairly distributed from mechanical stand point.
I contend 8 speeds is too many for any manually-activated transmission. For an auto, fine, go 10, but if you have are expected to actuate the changes, 7 is about the limit until you are constantly flippin' levers.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

8 vs.7 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I contend 8 speeds is too many for any manually-activated transmission. For an auto, fine, go 10, but if you have are expected to actuate the changes, 7 is about the limit until you are constantly flippin' levers.
Isn't 8 a bit arbitrary compared to 7? For a while when 6MTs were new I thought 6 was a lot. However, for a DCT such as M-DCT, with nearly 0 shift times, the right amount of gears will be the amount that maximizes performance not an arbitrary amount the someone thinks is "too many". Heck, I know you realize it but from so many posts about tranny issues I think folks forget that the DCTs will likely have a fully auto mode as well as a manual mode via paddles.

Last edited by swamp2; 05-04-2007 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #13
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

With the M3's high revving, relatively low torque V8 (with peak power AT REDLINE), the more gears it has the faster it will be. It allows you to stay closer to the power peak after every shift.

But I think 7 should do just fine.
      05-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
2m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3, 1988 M3

7 speed, or 8 speed..

The top 2 or 3 gears (the longest) usually overdrive for fuel economy

The fifth gear is 1:1.

It would be nice if only the 8th gear is overdrive, so as E36jakeo says, we have 7 very close ratio gear to keep it at upper rpm all the time
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #15
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Heck, I know you realize it but from so many posts about tranny issues I think folks forget that the DCTs will likely have a fully auto mode as well as a manual mode via paddles.
About that: Will the M-DCT be closer to an SMG or to a full auto with paddles (like you can have it now with all regular BMWs)? I know what the difference between DCT and auto is in terms of implementation, but how will it feel? Will there be a "kick-down" that causes a downshift or will I be able to choose the gear at any time and it doesn't downshift even with full throttle?

Please explain...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2m3 View Post
7 speed, or 8 speed..

The top 2 or 3 gears (the longest) usually overdrive for fuel economy

The fifth gear is 1:1.

It would be nice if only the 8th gear is overdrive, so as E36jakeo says, we have 7 very close ratio gear to keep it at upper rpm all the time
On the M5 the 6th gear is 1:1, so only the 7th is a overdrive gear.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

My suspicions

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
About that: Will the M-DCT be closer to an SMG or to a full auto with paddles (like you can have it now with all regular BMWs)? I know what the difference between DCT and auto is in terms of implementation, but how will it feel? Will there be a "kick-down" that causes a downshift or will I be able to choose the gear at any time and it doesn't downshift even with full throttle?

Please explain...
It is all guess work until someone drives it and reports, but here are my educated guesses.

DCTs, SMGs and MT are all MT. Obviously SMG is exactly like a standard MT with automation. SMG can be a bit harsh becuase it is only the computer and hydraulics pushing the clutch and "slamming" the next gear and popping the clutch again. Even though DCTs are true manuals (you could implement one with a clutch pedal that operated both clutchs) the huge difference and benefit is the near zero shift time and power going to the ground always except again for that tiny fraction of a second for the clutch operations. I think BMW will implement DCT almost just like SMG. You will have a full automatic mode with varying levels of sport-comfort and the primary variables will just be the rpms where each upshift occurs and some variation on the automated downshift as well to maximize acceleration when you increase throttle or go WOT. Since DCT is silky smooth by its design there will not be other variables to alter such as the speed of clutching or speed of gear shift movement by the hydraulics. Then in the manual mode you can shift with the lever on the tunnel or via steering wheel mounted paddels. I think in manual mode the ONLY shifts done without driver request will be those on deceleration to prevent the car from bogging/stalling. Again the shifts are nearly zero time and very smooth. This tranny will not be as raw nor violent as SMG in its aggressive modes but it will significantly out perform it.

I think it will be awesome to say the least.

BTW did you see my post with the acceleration graphs on the VW with it's dual clutch system? Have a look at that!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It is all guess work until someone drives it and reports, but here are my educated guesses.

DCTs, SMGs and MT are all MT. Obviously SMG is exactly like a standard MT with automation. SMG can be a bit harsh becuase it is only the computer and hydraulics pushing the clutch and "slamming" the next gear and popping the clutch again. Even though DCTs are true manuals (you could implement one with a clutch pedal that operated both clutchs) the huge difference and benefit is the near zero shift time and power going to the ground always except again for that tiny fraction of a second for the clutch operations. I think BMW will implement DCT almost just like SMG. You will have a full automatic mode with varying levels of sport-comfort and the primary variables will just be the rpms where each upshift occurs and some variation on the automated downshift as well to maximize acceleration when you increase throttle or go WOT. Since DCT is silky smooth by its design there will not be other variables to alter such as the speed of clutching or speed of gear shift movement by the hydraulics. Then in the manual mode you can shift with the lever on the tunnel or via steering wheel mounted paddels. I think in manual mode the ONLY shifts done without driver request will be those on deceleration to prevent the car from bogging/stalling. Again the shifts are nearly zero time and very smooth. This tranny will not be as raw nor violent as SMG in its aggressive modes but it will significantly out perform it.

I think it will be awesome to say the least.

BTW did you see my post with the acceleration graphs on the VW with it's dual clutch system? Have a look at that!

Thanks for explaining!

So I shouldn't be worried at all about throttle response? If so, I think I'll get one with M-DCT, as I will wait till March 08 anyway...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #19
2m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
On the M5 the 6th gear is 1:1, so only the 7th is a overdrive gear.

Best regards, south
Thank you, maybe this is the only one in the market now
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
Thanks for explaining!

So I shouldn't be worried at all about throttle response? If so, I think I'll get one with M-DCT, as I will wait till March 08 anyway...

I think throttle response and tranny issues are 100% separate. Personally I am M-DCT only. I would not own this car with 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #21
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I think 8-Speed is a little too many for shifting haha.
      05-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #22
2m3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90330iS View Post
I think 8-Speed is a little too many for shifting haha.
I do not mind to shift many times, if the close ratio of 1.25:1.0 on the first 5 gears.
Appreciate 0