BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Angry Here is why I DIY whatever I can >>>

So the idea behind a DIY is not always about saving money. It is more because I enjoy it and have confidence that the job will be done right Good independent shops mostly do a pretty good job but I still find myself double checking the nuts and bolts. My experience with dealerships however has been far from satisfactory. You can almost always count on them to leave loose ends or provide wrong diagnosis.

In this case, I recently took my car to the dealer to have them look at the wetting of the DCT pan. Since I have the BMW extended warranty, I took it to them expecting it to be covered under warranty. They checked it and denied coverage saying gaskets are not covered

Since there was no warranty coverage I decided to tackle this myself. The first thing I noticed when I jacked up the car was that the bolts for the cover under the tranny were never tightened by the dealer Infact the last 2 10mm bolts were so loose they were just hanging on by the last thread (see pictures below) Just really pissed with the whole dealer experience
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 08-14-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I would go ahead and follow the proper filling procedures for the car. That'll let you know how much you've lost and give you some more time until you can get that side gasket replaced. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you are. I thought it was only my mechatronics cover that was leaking. Turns out it's the side panel =/
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
I would go ahead and follow the proper filling procedures for the car. That'll let you know how much you've lost and give you some more time until you can get that side gasket replaced. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you are. I thought it was only my mechatronics cover that was leaking. Turns out it's the side panel =/
Thanks. I am little confused on the procedure outlined in the DIY here >>>>>

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746269

Here is the snapshot...
================================================== ========
4. Open the filling hole (red box). Using a fluid pump, add M-DCT oil into the transmission. I added about 3 quarts before fluid started to emerge from the filling hole.

5. Ensure that M-DCT fluid inside the transmission is below 90 deg. F. Then, close the filling hole.

6. Turn on your engine. In position P, maintain 2000 rpm for about 1 minute.

7. Reopen the filling hole and add additional fluid (about 2 quarts) until fluid starts to leak out from the hole again. This process must be completed while the transmission fluid temperature is below 104 deg. F.

================================================== ========

Questions I have:

1) I don't have a temp gauge so For step 5 above, shall I just do this on a cold car?

2) Once I finish step 6 above I can let the car cool down a few hours before I go ahead with step 7? Correct? That ensures the oil temp will be below 104F

3) The process described here http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442369 talks about opening the filler plug with the engine running to top it off. So basically they are saying to perform Step 6 with the engine running. Can you please confirm which is correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by ///M///; 06-08-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

list the name of the dealer.

i don't trust any dealer around me locally. Matter of fact, i think I may just have bad luck.

From Porsche, to inifiniti, to BMW. All terrible.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Do the procedure when the are is cold. Open the fill hole and if something comes out then close it. Run the car for a minute as directed and then check/fill again while the car is running. Your car won't heat up that hot when running it for a minute.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
MikeD
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

So when they tried to diagnose the leak, they didn't bother to screw the cover tightly back on?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
So when they tried to diagnose the leak, they didn't bother to screw the cover tightly back on?
Pretty much. Looked like the tech hand screwed them in to get the thread started but forgot to tighten them

Appreciate 0