BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #89
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

OP, you took pole dancing to a new level Glad you're here to talk about it. I see this shit all the time, and you are lucky you weren't crushed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #90
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Glad to know that you're OK dude! No apology needed here... just remember that you were lucky and don't make the same mistake in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #91
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3XC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
They say Rubber side down to motorcycle riders because they do wheelies. Not the right place to use the expression, buddy.
LOL dude are you the only one who got offended by that comment?! Calm down big guy. All im saying is that these cars are dangerous and I've lived and learned from an accident. Some people over here on the East Coast use that expression as to no burn out's or trying to break the car loose. Keep it SAFE. AS I said I lost a close friend not even a month ago to an Accident he had in his M.

2015 F80 M3: JB4 and MPE

2022 G80 M3CX: At port
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #92
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
LOL dude are you the only one who got offended by that comment?! Calm down big guy. All im saying is that these cars are dangerous and I've lived and learned from an accident. Some people over here on the East Coast use that expression as to no burn out's or trying to break the car loose. Keep it SAFE. AS I said I lost a close friend not even a month ago to an Accident he had in his M.
Offended? Why would I be offended? I was just trying to be nice and try to maybe fix what you may of been confused about.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #93
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

God damn! glad to see you are ok, thats a major hit.
      02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #94
jcaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3-DCT-Blk/Blk

Sorry to hear this OP, but glad you are okay. Seeing the pictures of your wrecked car and hearing that you were unharmed really is a testament to the build quality and the safety measures that were embedded into our vehicles by those Teutonic engineering geniuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #95
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
OMG glad that you are OK Best of luck in figuring things out

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #96
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
With all due respect to the OP this accident was totally avoidable. The pole was not in the center of the road and the pole did not hit the car. This happened because of driver error. The driver was going at a speed that exceeded his ability to control the car. That is not the point of any car. The OP has admitted his mistake and made no excuses so let's not sugar coat it, make excuses for him or encourage others to make the same mistake. This story had a (reasonably) happy ending. There have been a number of them posted here that did not.

CA

When did i say that the point of the car is to make a driver go at a speed which exceeds the drivers ability to control a car?

I would never encourage anyone to drive in a reckless manner so don't insinuate that. It is very patronising of you to assume that forum members here are so impressionable that they can be 'encouraged' to drive in any manner other than the one they choose themselves just by reading a post on this forum.

My post was just saying 1.Glad you're ok. 2.Sometimes accidents happen. 3. Good luck with the new car...........and that was all.

There was no need for a patronising response stating that a)The accident was avoidable b)The pole was not in the center of the road c)The pole did not hit the car d) Driver error was to blame etc etc.

The sad fact is this - the only person who will change the way they drive as a result of this accident is the OP - everyone else will continue to drive as they always have done (good or bad) until something happens to them - anyone who genuinely thinks otherwise is a fool. I prefer to try and lighten a situation and be positive rather than pick at other peoples posts while stating the obvious and actually saying nothing at all.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #97
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Another E9x parts car

Wow...this has been strange with all the accidents posted....all I can say that is soooo tempting to put your foot into this car...not the quickest car out there but among the most fun to drive! I say you get your insurance money...see if you can order some new package that I'm sure the guys at M are thinking about building for the US before the end of this production...say the carbon body/stroker motor package with track ready brakes....get some track wheels and tires...and schedule a track day....someone eles beat me in saying that track drivers are much more mellow on the street...THIS IS TRUE...that is not saying you cannot lose it at the track...but at least it is a controled situation at the track...GLAD YOUR OK!....when you feel like disclosing the detals of that night to the fourm i might mention that you say your DSC was lit or you will hear a whole bunch of shit. It should be on!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #98
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minator View Post
when you feel like disclosing the detals of that night to the fourm i might mention that you say your DSC was lit or you will hear a whole bunch of shit. It should be on!
Interesting enough I havent heard of insurance companies ask this question when assessing a loss? so I think its moot. Now if someone happens to be reading this thread then anything is possible..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #99
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

Ouch! Glad that you made it out OK. Count your blessings and good luck!

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #100
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Interesting enough I havent heard of insurance companies ask this question when assessing a loss? so I think its moot. Now if someone happens to be reading this thread then anything is possible..
I don't know if DSC on or off will be a factor in an insurance claim.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-21-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #101
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Hi I didn't read the last 5 pages, so maybe someone else mentioned this, but you NEED TO REPORT this as soon as possible.

Your insurance agent is out of town? Geico, State Farm etc do not go on vacation. Almost all insurance agencies have 24 hour claim assistance. The faster your claim is entered the faster it's all settled. You didn't get a DUI, arrested for drugs, etc and so you have nothing to tell them but the truth. You got in an accident and that's what they're there for.

Sorry to sound short, and I'm very glad you're ok.

It'll all work out. Next time, you'll get better tires*
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #102
saamfou
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Yeah, I've submitted the claim, just waiting for next steps now. Nothing tricky going on. If there is anything I can do to steer the salvaged car to some to any advantage, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #103
Aquariu///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

M3 is not a FWD or AWD where you can slam your foot on the gas comiong out of a turn and expect to keep the car straight! You definitely need more experience and you got a second chance but definitely don't deserve a third. You could've killed someone else on the road, that is why this kind of driving needs to be taken to the tracks only. I'm glad this happened to you while you're still young and came out of it without injuries to yourself or anyone else, take it as an expensive lesson...I did
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #104
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
You've punished yourself enough, with quite a bit of class.

As Judge Smails says in Caddyshack:
"NEXT TIME BE MORE CAREFUL!"

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #105
bspears
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3E93

@SAAMFOU.......did your call roll? I have never seen the roll protectors deployed before. How far from horizontal did your car get?

Glad you are OK and you and no one else got hurt.
      02-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #106
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

where is the like button on this thing?
good for you OP! amazing you sawed through that "minor/small electrical pole"
time to pop that motor into a track car if its salvageable. bmw cca club LA. go to their autocross and car control clinic! only thing you should hit when pushing beyond your bounds would be little orange cones. have a great time. canyons are boring compared to track. you will never want to waste your time or risk yours and others safety again after going.
      02-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #107
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
This is exactly how I feel. I see these little smart cars or cheap cars driving down the road and I think if something like that were to happen to them, they would be squished. I dont mind paying for a car as much as people pay for a house note because I know Im safe and its that peace of mind that makes me love BMW. Now if I was in your shoes and just totaled my 335, I might as well wish I was dead, because if the impact didnt kill me, my Mother would have!

The most important safety device in a car is a good driver behind the wheel,regardless if it's a Porsche or Kia.
Crash tests don't show BMWs to be above average....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #108
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saamfou View Post
Yeah, I've submitted the claim, just waiting for next steps now. Nothing tricky going on. If there is anything I can do to steer the salvaged car to some to any advantage, let me know.

Was the large puddle of liquid oil from the motor? If so, it's totaled. Even if the motor weren't shot I'd say it's still more likely to be totaled than not. Given all of the airbags were deployed ($$$), roll hoops, etc. Your front subframe and frame in the front is pretzled, and there's the 3-4 body panels, brakes, rim, tire, entire front left suspension, steering rack (?).

Either way there's not a lot you can do but wait for the call back and proceed accordingly. You don't have to automatically agree, but take some time after they get back to you to let it sink in and think about possible directions. Geico got back to me in a couple days and I must say I was pretty happy with the overall outcome, given the situation, I mean.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #109
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

It takes a man to admit he was wrong and take blame, hats off to you Brotha. As far as the M it is a damn shame but you live and you learn.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #110
M3people
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had the sane situation with my e46. Luckily I walked away without any injuries, but I did walk away with a life time learning experience which I don't think I would have learned on my own. I considered myself a well and experienced driver.
You live and learn, the most important part ia that nothing happened to you.
Appreciate 0