BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

08-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Notscott
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Value of a Professional Detailer

I admit, when I first heard about "detailing" I thought it was another one of those title inflation gimmicks like janitor to custodian, secretary to executive assistant, stripper to exotic dancer, you get the idea. I assumed if I picked up a new car, it would have new paint and I would have no need for an expensive car wash.

That opinion changed in April when I picked up my ordered M3, promptly took it home to wash it and then found my hood swirled and scratched to a nearly matte finish by the Neanderthals at my dealer.

I was ready to cancel my order and return the car when I found Dominic Scheer here in my area and he said he could make it look better than new. You can find a post and some pictures about it here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515335

Needless to say, Dominic enlightened me to just what a professional detailer is and the work they are capable of doing.

Fast forward to today, my respect for a good detailer increased even more when my wife's babied Porsche was hit by a truck and basically required the entire driver's side replaced.

After the accident, we called the dealer and they recommended the best shop in the area for the repairs. I won't go into all the issues involved with the body shop, but when it was first delivered to me after they had it "professionally detailed," there were scratches swirls and holograms all over the paint. So I fired off an email with pictures to the shop owner and told them their professionals weren't up to the task and I recommended Dominic if they could not get it right.

The morning of the next delivery of the car, I get a call from the shop foreman telling me that they brought in an outside "professional" to fully detail my car. The foreman tells me that they will have to spend an hour on it. When I asked "An hour?" knowing full well that it takes me almost an hour just to properly wash the car nevermind a complete polish, wax and interior detail, the foreman replied, "These are professionals, it takes them some time."

I fired off another email to the shop owner who was travelling and informed him of what his foreman told me and that I knew his foreman was full of it and that I would take the matter up with my insurance company if it wasn't perfect.

Here are some of the pictures after the body shop's second "professional detail"

By now, after more than a month in the shop and two return trips, I was livid. I sent the pictures to the body shop owner and my insurance agent and told them both that I wanted a real professional this time to finish my car.

The body shop owner then called me and was very apologetic and asked me what it would take to make this go away. I told him I wanted Dominic to do a complete detail of the car. He insisted he had "professionals" who could get the job done for half the price, but after I sent him and the insurance company more pictures of his "professionals" second attempt, he relented and Dominic was brought in to make things right.

I will let Dominic comment on all of the work he did but here are some after pictures that say more than anything I could type:

It was so stunning, when I showed the body shop owner what Dominic had done, he, like me months earlier, had finally seen the light and understood the value of a professional detailer.

To Dominic and all of you professional detailers out there, congratulations, you have earned my business and my respect and I would encourage everyone who takes pride in their car's appearance to seek out the best detailers in your area. They really do make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

I'm sorry to have to hear of all the let-downs and trouble you had to go through, but I'm glad that in the end, all went well and your babies are looking the way they should. I hope your testimony here will help other owners learn from some mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Thanks! I really appreciate the post!!! I'll be posting up te pictures of this detail sometime this week, so stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

nice ive never had a pro detail my car and i have been thinking about it. i have jerez which is difficult anyway. this post made me sure im gonna have it done. probably wait until spring now though.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Thank you for understanding the difference! Glad Dom got your car taken care of!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
nice ive never had a pro detail my car and i have been thinking about it. i have jerez which is difficult anyway. this post made me sure im gonna have it done. probably wait until spring now though.
Where in Washington are you located? I know of a couple great detailers that are out that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

I'm in lake stevens. 30 minutes north of seattle. I was gonna use HD auto salon. They have a good rep and already talked to the owner blake.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I'm in lake stevens. 30 minutes north of seattle. I was gonna use HD auto salon. They have a good rep and already talked to the owner blake.
I see. I know Metropolitan Detail is in the Lynnwood area from my understand and they're known for doing some very nice high-end work. John Kleven is the man to talk to over there. If you're referring to NW Auto Salon and Blake, I know of the gentleman as well.

Always pays to do your homework, and I hope you have a positive experience. Keep in mind that the best thing you can do for a detailer if they've treated you well is to tell everyone you know on online forums about their great work!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

yes sorry it is NW Auto Salon they just opened a new shop in lynnwood about a month ago. Blake said they specialize in getting black perfect so we will see. like i said think i plan to wait until spring and have them do a complete paint correction get the thing like a mirror.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Appreciate 0