BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
scubasewj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

KW coilovers V3 with edc questions

Anyone have kw coilovers v3 with edc? I'm looking for some reviews or feedback, I tried looking for reviews for the coilovers with edc but was unsuccessful. From what I've read about the v3s is that they're a bit stiffer than sport setting on edc (stock).

A bit about my car/situation..I use the car as a daily driver but plan to tracking it (twice a month) and often go on windy weekend drives. I'm looking for something good on the track but also something similar to stock on the streets. I live in San Francisco so very shity road conditions and hilly so I'm not looking to lower the car much.

I have an e92 m3 with akrapovic full exhaust and ess vt-600 supercharger getting installed this week. Along with the increased power I'm looking to beef up the suspension and get wider wheel. (19in bbs ch-r).

Is the extra cost for the kw v3 with edc worth it? What kind of settings does the edc offer (and can you use the stock edc button)? Any feedback would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
iDontAlwaysDrink
Private First Class Asshole
Rep
Drives: ....but when I do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasewj View Post
Anyone have kw coilovers v3 with edc? I'm looking for some reviews or feedback, I tried looking for reviews for the coilovers with edc but was unsuccessful.

http://bit.ly/O42xGp

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

See responses in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasewj View Post
Anyone have kw coilovers v3 with edc? I'm looking for some reviews or feedback, I tried looking for reviews for the coilovers with edc but was unsuccessful. From what I've read about the v3s is that they're a bit stiffer than sport setting on edc (stock).

KW V3's will kind of be about as comfortable or uncomfortable (within reason, of course) as you set it. It's an adjustable shock, so if you set your compression low it'll be comfortable, and if you set it high, it won't be. It's got a reasonably decent range of adjustment to it, too.

A bit about my car/situation..I use the car as a daily driver but plan to tracking it (twice a month) and often go on windy weekend drives. I'm looking for something good on the track but also something similar to stock on the streets. I live in San Francisco so very shity road conditions and hilly so I'm not looking to lower the car much.

Well since you live in a place with shitty roads, I guess that's that. Can't have your cake and eat it too in this case. I feel that KW CS is a better street/sport coilover that's still mainly a street setup, but it's noticeably stiffer than stock.

I have an e92 m3 with akrapovic full exhaust and ess vt-600 supercharger getting installed this week. Along with the increased power I'm looking to beef up the suspension and get wider wheel. (19in bbs ch-r).

Sorry if I missed the question in this comment, I'm just reading it as a comment. I had BBS CH's before the R's came out, they're a nice looking wheel.

Is the extra cost for the kw v3 with edc worth it? What kind of settings does the edc offer (and can you use the stock edc button)? Any feedback would be helpful

Ah....uh....what? Er...hurm....uh....urm...ehhh....here, you can have this. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
There are no such things as EDC-compatible coilovers for the E92 M3. All kits require the KW/Macht Schnell EDC emulators to delete the error codes from not having any EDC, or require coding/reprogramming. KW is developing a coilover with EDC that will be released in a year or so maybe, but it still doesn't use the car's inferface: it uses an iPhone application to adjust the shocks. So, technically, there still won't be an EDC "compatible" coilover then.
In other words, the EDC module simply deletes any error codes your car has. It's a requirement, unless you don't mind seeing an EDC error on your car's dashboard every time you start the car. It doesn't add any functionality, nor does it remove any, it simply lets your car operate as intended after the removal of EDC. But really, I do think that all of these answers can be searched for and found with little to no difficulty.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Subscribed. I've been messaging people with the KW v3s to get a short review. Nobody has responded.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
scubasewj
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
See responses in red.

In other words, the EDC module simply deletes any error codes your car has. It's a requirement, unless you don't mind seeing an EDC error on your car's dashboard every time you start the car. It doesn't add any functionality, nor does it remove any, it simply lets your car operate as intended after the removal of EDC. But really, I do think that all of these answers can be searched for and found with little to no difficulty.

Thanks..I guess I'm confused because I saw this and thought there was kw coil overs with edc: http://www.**********s.com/KW-Varian...E92-E93-M3.htm there is an option for the coil overs with edc (part number 35220057) and another version with edc delete (part number 35220083).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
scubasewj
Private
United_States
Rep

Nevermind I'm retarded. For some reason I was thinking the coil overs came with edc instead of being made for cars with edc...wishful thinking I guess
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
Subscribed. I've been messaging people with the KW v3s to get a short review. Nobody has responded.
I believe I have responded to you.
      09-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
marksae
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Like others have mentioned and linked to earlier, the "EDC" version of the V3's comes with electronic modules to defeat the EDC error code. On my E90, I just coded out the EDC from the ECU, so I bought the non-EDC V3's.

I drive into SF a lot. I have my V3's set to 12 all around (18 is full soft) and the ride comfort is pretty decent. It's comparable to the comfort EDC setting. The type of roads where the ride can be a little harsh are the ones where you're going 30-40 mph and there are a lot of consecutive small bumps. But for the majority of the roads in SF, the ride is pretty good, especially at my low ride height (lowered 1.5" F, 1.2" R).

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I'm tempted to go softer, but I don't want to end up with too much body roll in corners. Oh yeah, the turn-in and handling of the car improves too.

IG: @gearheadtwins
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm thinking seriously about putting a set of KW v3s on the car and thought I would bump this thread.

My two goals are to improve the ride height a bit, but I'm also looking to make the car more settled, especially over rough patches of road. I had KW v3s on my Mini and was always amazed at how the seemingly improved handling but also made the ride more compliant.

The M3 ZCP suspension is amazing, but the harshness over sudden bumps and the instability over rough patches makes me wonder if I could do better with a set of KWs. It seems most opt for the Clubsports, but they seem to be designed for heavy track use I can't justify those.

Just hoping to hear from people regarding how the KW v3s feel compared to stock ZCP in (1) daily driving scenarios and (2) at the track.

Also, how difficult is it to modify the trunk liner to be able to access the adjustments on the top of the rear struts for frequent adjustments (such as before and after a track day)?
Appreciate 0