BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #1981
Su37su
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lancer Evolution X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
This video is perfect for me . Your S65 sounds good !
Enjoy your car
That's good to hear.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #1982
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su37su View Post
That's good to hear.

Thanks.
No problem . All my pleasure !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #1983
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
May not be the right thread for it, but this seems to be the most comprehensive area for the subject.

Has anyone noticed a correlation with oil temperatures and bearing failure? As an example, the oil temperatures began to rise and then *pop*.

Not saying that mine are fine (I've already purchased BE's as preventative maintenance and waiting for them to arrive, however), but I've noticed that my oil temps are always lower than anyone else I talk to. Most seem to be 210*+ constantly whereas mine never seems to even reach 210*. Of course I'm going off of the inaccurate needle on the dash, but I'm assuming I'm somewhere around 190-ish once I'm up to temp.
I don't mind the oil temp on the low side, only healthy in my mind. Prefer half a needle below mid than above during normal highway driving. Mine however climbs a tad in stop/go traffic and further after some spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #1984
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
I'm waiting to see if he can clarify what caused the failure.
Thanks for the heads up.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #1985
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Being and owner who suffered a failure and trying to get BMW to bring some goodwill to the party, they ultimately offered $3500 and parts at wholesale to rebuild my engine. I was told that BMW will evaluate the engine and if his ever been redlined they will decline any goodwill. I provided my info to the lawyers covering the Class Action, and then had my engine rebuilt as a 4.4 Stroker...
Appreciate 3
BOOF-M34448.50
Duk996244.00
      12-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #1986
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwoodOK View Post
Being and owner who suffered a failure and trying to get BMW to bring some goodwill to the party, they ultimately offered $3500 and parts at wholesale to rebuild my engine. I was told that BMW will evaluate the engine and if his ever been redlined they will decline any goodwill. I provided my info to the lawyers covering the Class Action, and then had my engine rebuilt as a 4.4 Stroker...
I don't get this . We should ask BMW why our S65 actually has a 8.400 rpm redline ?
I'm pretty sure our redline is functional ! But like usual BMW really s@cks .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      12-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #1987
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

They probably meant exceeded the redline, meaning a mechanical over rev due to a mis shift.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #1988
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
They probably meant exceeded the redline, meaning a mechanical over rev due to a mis shift.
We can ask grantwoodOK if he has DCT a miss shift is not possible !

Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      12-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #1989
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwoodOK View Post
Hey grant, what happened to your engine exactly? Just curious. My mains went....
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #1990
houston
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

MPB, did you get the one on BAT for auction right now?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 04:40 AM   #1991
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Another one for the list ...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=59

Hopefully he posts more details. Very unfortunate.
Appreciate 2
aus889.50
      01-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #1992
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
Another one for the list ...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=59

Hopefully he posts more details. Very unfortunate.
More details from spr => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452984

Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      01-31-2018, 01:25 AM   #1993
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
This video is perfect for me . Your S65 sounds good !
Enjoy your car
Isn't that odd ticking when the engine slows back to idle concerning? It's hard to hear, but its an out of rhythm tick ....tick tick ...tick...tick tick tick...tick..
I thought that was one of the early tells. When he revs it is smooth, but as it backs off to idle you can hear it. I'd happily be wrong as that's what my car does and it concerns me.
      01-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #1994
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Isn't that odd ticking when the engine slows back to idle concerning? It's hard to hear, but its an out of rhythm tick ....tick tick ...tick...tick tick tick...tick..
I thought that was one of the early tells. When he revs it is smooth, but as it backs off to idle you can hear it. I'd happily be wrong as that's what my car does and it concerns me.
I'm not agreed . The S65 and S85 engines are having the typical ticking *SEWING MACHINE* noise .
Actually the ticking noise sounds like 5H1T . But that's how they sound , which is normal for our engines .
I know that owners are worried by the sewing machine , but it's normal for the S65 and S85 .

Over the years I heard S65 videos from all over the world , and I was never wrong.
I was happy that I could save a few S65's on time , and believe me ..If the ticking noise is/was bearing related the ticking noise sounds completely different .
Second degree noise is the rattle noise ,but for that degree it's actually already too late ...

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #1995
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

*fastmvr* with heavy rod knock in his video , #55 on this page => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...3#post22798873

Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      02-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #1996
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
*fastmvr* with heavy rod knock in his video , #55 on this page => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...3#post22798873
Thanks. That engine sounds dead on arrival.
Good luck to fastmvr.
Sad.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #1997
TX
Captain
Rep

M3 cold start last year or so noise

Real quick. After I do an oil change the first start sounds like the engine is tearing itself apart on the first start I assume due to lack of oil on the timing chain, guides and lifters.
Recently the last couple of weeks if I let the car sit for a day or two, the first start sounds horrible for the first 2 or so seconds I can hear all kinds of clacking and banging, possibly just noisy lifters but its like chucking ice down a garbage disposal type of sound. This isn't normal is it? Once it warms up it's nice and smooth on the start. But a cold start after sitting for a day is grinding and then a big slap which I think is the timing chain guide.
I'm still considering having rod bearings and bolts changed out. 57K miles roughly on an 09 daily driver. I'll see if I can get around to making a video on the weekend after it sits a while so I can record the grinding noise.
      02-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #1998
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Should sound fine after an oil change or if the car sits for a few days. You have some sort of issue, though I don’t know whether it is rod bearings. But if it is oil related and oil is not getting where it should be fast enough you will develop wear problems quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 02:32 AM   #1999
Real
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Well here's my story.

2011 DCT Competition Package

Bought used from dealer with 45k miles. Had the car for less than 5 days had this weird oil issue from the get go. Dash said I was over a quart, took it back the next day and they did an oil change. Not even 15 minutes later after picking it up again dash is now saying oil is dangerously low and I need to add a quart. I call them up ask what the f*** is going on. They assured me the oil was definitely changed and filled up properly but to bring it back the next day. That night as I was heading back home from school start getting this weird knocking sound/grinding sound. Pull over, call AAA had them delivery it to my house. Had the dealer pick it up the next morning. Sure as s***, rod bearing blew and shredded it. Dealer is providing a new engine and install for free, renegotiated the contact so the car costs less but now I'm going to be waiting an additional week+.
Appreciate 2
aus889.50
      02-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #2000
TX
Captain
Rep

wow that's a crazy story, but I don't see how an over-fill and then an alleged under fill would spin bearings, unless they let way too much oil out during their drain. Maybe a screen was clogged preventing oil flow? Would this also toss the under-fill alarm? Oil changes on this engine suck. I've done it almost 10 times now and each time I add exactly 8.2 to 8.4L back and drive it almost 3 days before it gives me a valid reading. it will read anywhere from low to full on those first 3 days or so and then will average out at the middle marker. It will be all over the place the first few days. The one and only time I had my dealer change the oil I got it back with a >MAX level on the drive home from the dealer and all kinds of warnings. I did the same. I parked it and made them tow it back. I think they don't do a full drain and then add back something like 9L creating the over-fill. hell man you should play the lottery they are dropping you a 25K engine for free I'd be doing the happy dance if I were you. Read the board. I'd say 90% of us get the shaft.
      02-22-2018, 05:06 AM   #2001
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilick View Post
Well here's my story.

2011 DCT Competition Package

Bought used from dealer with 45k miles. Had the car for less than 5 days had this weird oil issue from the get go. Dash said I was over a quart, took it back the next day and they did an oil change. Not even 15 minutes later after picking it up again dash is now saying oil is dangerously low and I need to add a quart. I call them up ask what the f*** is going on. They assured me the oil was definitely changed and filled up properly but to bring it back the next day. That night as I was heading back home from school start getting this weird knocking sound/grinding sound. Pull over, call AAA had them delivery it to my house. Had the dealer pick it up the next morning. Sure as s***, rod bearing blew and shredded it. Dealer is providing a new engine and install for free, renegotiated the contact so the car costs less but now I'm going to be waiting an additional week+.
#reallysucks !
Nice to hear your BMW/Dealer will cover the mess !
Keep us/me posted ..

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #2002
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
wow that's a crazy story, but I don't see how an over-fill and then an alleged under fill would spin bearings, unless they let way too much oil out during their drain. Maybe a screen was clogged preventing oil flow? Would this also toss the under-fill alarm? Oil changes on this engine suck. I've done it almost 10 times now and each time I add exactly 8.2 to 8.4L back and drive it almost 3 days before it gives me a valid reading. it will read anywhere from low to full on those first 3 days or so and then will average out at the middle marker. It will be all over the place the first few days. The one and only time I had my dealer change the oil I got it back with a >MAX level on the drive home from the dealer and all kinds of warnings. I did the same. I parked it and made them tow it back. I think they don't do a full drain and then add back something like 9L creating the over-fill. hell man you should play the lottery they are dropping you a 25K engine for free I'd be doing the happy dance if I were you. Read the board. I'd say 90% of us get the shaft.
Yea I wouldn't even question the dealership if they already offered a "new" engine and reduced price! Sweet deal The wait is a bummer when you're excited to drive your new toy though.
Appreciate 0