BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

To Flash or NOT to Flash?

So I am done with all the bolt-on power mods that I wanted to put on my M3 the only mod left to do is a flash. At this point I am sure that I want to go with the ESS catless flash. my question is for those who have the flash was it worth the money, is there any notable power gains or did you flash just because you wanted to get rid of the cel and remove the top speed governor?
I am on the fence because I still have my stock xpipe with cats attached and can reinstall myself for emission within the next two years, I have done 172mph so I'm not sure about the limited top speed of my M3 yet (I know the M3 is supposed to be governed at 155 but mine is not); don't see myself doing more than 180mph with the M3, I don't care to extend the rev limit as I feel it is ok stock. So guys talk me into or out of doing this mod . Also for those of you who did not go with the flash chime in. Also is there a need to go one step colder plugs I had to do this with my Flashed G35.

Last edited by AlteredBe4st; 01-15-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

I'm not a huge info based guy but I have the ESS direct flash tune and I love it. By no means does it make the car feel like its supercharged or anything like that but you definitely do feel the difference.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Nuge Design
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW CP

Agreed with CCL16M3. Also have a Challenge Street (stock primaries intact) and Remus Sport with the ESS tune. Not sure how much the exhaust mods add to the mix as I did it all at the same time. I likie none the less. The only thing I miss is the sound of the cats warming up. I guess the exhaust makes up for that...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

I'm waiting for my ESS tuned files as we speak. Will start a thread with impressions after some time behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep

ordered the unit after searching and seen good reviews, hope the install goes smoothly when I receive the unit. KEEP TUNED FOR REVIEW , thanks Roman
      01-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
ordered the unit after searching and seen good reviews, hope the install goes smoothly when I receive the unit. KEEP TUNED FOR REVIEW , thanks Roman
I see you have the AA exhaust too, what X-Pipe did you get? Im thinking about AA with HFC..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
I see you have the AA exhaust too, what X-Pipe did you get? Im thinking about AA with HFC..
I purchased another stock xpipe off someone because I did not want to cut mine, then I had a custom test pipe welded to the xpipe. I like this setup better than an aftermarket xpipe because you still retain the secondary cats that do not restrict power, the exhaust smell is toned down alot in my opinion when compared to another M3 with aftermarket xpipe with cat delete and you save money, most xpipes are over $1000 not worth it there are no power gains from an xpipe.
      01-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzm3edan View Post
I purchased another stock xpipe off someone because I did not want to cut mine, then I had a custom test pipe welded to the xpipe. I like this setup better than an aftermarket xpipe because you still retain the secondary cats that do not restrict power, the exhaust smell is toned down alot in my opinion when compared to another M3 with aftermarket xpipe with cat delete and you save money, most xpipes are over $1000 not worth it there are no power gains from an xpipe.
Thanks~
Appreciate 0