BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Homelink remote - any way to work with car off?

After being somewhat mystified at the seeming randomness of my first programming attempt, slogged through this again last night. Problem I had was garage wouldn't open from inside, or close once car was parked. Yep, I had several times, and just couldn't break the code.

In clearing and programming again last night, realized that the remote only works when the car is running, not just when the electronics are switched on. This is fundamentally different than how I would ever have envisioned this to work, or how it has on any other car I've owned. As a matter of habit and safety, it just has always made more sense to me to have door open when I start the car, and have car off before shutting it, both for emissions and the fear of an inadvertant clutch slip. Yeah, call me paranoid.

Was going to post hear asking if this is something different with my car, but from a quick read and search the implication is that I am not alone. Not to mention the car having to be running to program.....

Is there a practical and relatively straightforward way to modify this, or am I just stuck either starting the car 6" away from a closed door, or carrying an opener remote with me also?

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

I don't know about your setup, but we have a switch on the wall to open and close the garage door - don't need to be in a car at all.

Actually the way you describe it working is a great security measure. Imagine for some reason you have to park outside, I wouldn't want someone being able to gain access to my house by using the homelink to open the garage (alarmed or not).

Presumably if you're leaving the house and want to close the garage or you're approaching the house and need to open it then the car is running, so no problem. If you have a wall switch then you can open the garage before getting in the car and close it before leaving the garage, again no problem.

You are right though that other makes do allow the homelink to work even when the car is off and the keys are not in the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
I don't know about your setup, but we have a switch on the wall to open and close the garage door - don't need to be in a car at all.

Actually the way you describe it working is a great security measure. Imagine for some reason you have to park outside, I wouldn't want someone being able to gain access to my house by using the homelink to open the garage (alarmed or not).

Presumably if you're leaving the house and want to close the garage or you're approaching the house and need to open it then the car is running, so no problem. If you have a wall switch then you can open the garage before getting in the car and close it before leaving the garage, again no problem.

You are right though that other makes do allow the homelink to work even when the car is off and the keys are not in the ignition.

+1
SECURITY reasons
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I actually want the Homelink to work with the car off like the OP. I almost always garage my car overnight but I don't always drive in during the day. I've had many instances where I just wanted to open the garage but had to pull the key out and turn the car on (not start it) and then open the garage.
      05-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Georgeair
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I've had many instances where I just wanted to open the garage but had to pull the key out and turn the car on (not start it) and then open the garage.
This is sort of what I'm getting at - I am pretty sure I have to actually start the car for the Homelink buttons to be powered. Now, I did only have the key in my pocket (with CA) rather than in the ignition slot, but tried turning on accessories with Start button, and Homelink didn't work.

In other words, it made sense to me to have to have a key with me and turn car on. But having to actually start it seemed weird, and is what I was trying to find out if this was just my car, or by design.

I agree with the security points above. Using wall switch works fine, but in August in AL having the garage open the extra minute or two while unloading from car makes a difference in temperature change in the garage. Insert "January" for the Yankees.....

Last edited by Georgeair; 05-07-2009 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Georgeair
Captain
Rep

At the risk of having more posts in my own thread than replies, figured out (while installing the V1 today!) that pushiing the Start button twice without foot on clutch turns not just accessories on, but iginition and mirror controls including Homelink! This obviously lets you open or close the door, from the car, without having already started it. Cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
You don't actually have to start the car but you do have to have the ingnition ON (not just ACCessory on). If you don't have your foot on the brake, the first time you push the ON button you get accessory on. The second time you push the button you get ignition on (you can tell by all the gauges moving and warning lights coming on) and the Homelink will work with the ignition on. The third time you push the button all goes off.

Mike
Appreciate 0