BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thumbs down World Trade Center - the movie

anyone seen the preview for this? when i first saw it i couldn't believe my eyes and then after i looked it up on the web and saw yet more previews, i thought i was going to throw up.

i simply cannot believe they can take the biggest tragedy in american history and convert it into a pile of sentimental crap spinning around "i love you" messages of two individuals. i think this movie is a total disgrace to the events of 9/11.

when United 93 came out i was a little hesitant about it until i went to see it. i was more than pleased to see that the director and screenwriter didn't choose the cliche cheesy hollywood way of going around the topic, rather they the movie was made very realistic, almost documentary-like, which told the story as it happened (to the best of their knowledge).

this new Nicolas Cage movie, however, follows the exact path which i was hoping i would never see in any movies about 9/11. that is, pick two characters, they must have wives and kids. they wake up in the morning like nothing is going on. all of the sudden an emergency arises. the dialogs are full of "i've never seen anything like this" sentences. they (the two characters) go rescue the world. they largely succeed but they get trapped. we are all supposed to cry because those TWO characters are about to die. GIVE ME A F-ING BREAK!!!

i think this topic deserves a lot more than this Titanic-like portrayal of the events and definitely should get more respect than that. this kind of sounds like an anti-propaganda but i seriously can't stand this kind of hollywood movies and i will definitely not going to see it.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I guess we'll see when this comes out, but I agree. Hollywood leans toward making movies a fictional romantic epic centering around two individuals in most all its movies. Your Titanic movie example was right on the money.
      07-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

IMO, I think trying to capitalize and make money on September 11 this soon is absolutely pathetic and disgraceful. Wait 30 years, then make a movie about it.. I think it's waaaay to early for a movie like this to be out..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
golfpro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I disagree...I think it sounds frickin awesome.........I went and saw Flight 93 and thought that was one of the best movies ive ever seen. the ending is the craziest. its good that someone is taking a stand agaisnt that bullshit anti-propaganda that "it was all set up by the government", now that f'in makes me sick.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I have not watched the United 93 movie, and I wont watch this 9-11 movie. I knew a few people that were in the WTC and did not make it out.

I know that Holywood is just going to completely screw this one up.

I hate to say it, but I have started to watch less and less TV and movies because of the absolute crap that our media is putting out these days...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Nicholas Cage is actually supposed to portray the life of one of the real-life firefighters who went through the whole ordeal.

I think the movie is a good thing, despite all the cinematics and exaggerated drama. It's beneficial for people past our time, such as our kids and our grandkids who most likely will not have a single clue what 9/11 will be. Obviously, all of the real-life footage of 9/11 are quite short and to put it bluntly - no where as dramatic/emotional as how Hollywood can make it to be.
      07-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I won't see it, so I don't care. It does kind of bother me though that they must have started this movie basically the day after September 11th like "hey guys we can make money about this!" It really affected me, because I love New York, its where my family is from and my grandfather was living in Brooklyn at the time and we used to visit him a few times a year. We used to go to lots of Yankee games, and go to south street seaport and central park and i love having those memories. It just really hurts me that my memory of going up the world trade center with my dad when i was maybe 10 or 12 years old are all I have left. i just remember feeling like i was on top of the world and i remember being so amazed at what humans were capable of doing, building something like that. oh well, i won't get emotional. i'm not going to see the movie, but i am not extremely upset about it. maybe it will make people realize the real magnitude of what happened because i know i have spoken to many people here in florida and over in cali that don't seem to understand or care much about what happened since they weren't directly affected by it. i guess if i didn't have family in new york and had never been there then maybe i wouldn't understand either.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
I disagree...I think it sounds frickin awesome.........I went and saw Flight 93 and thought that was one of the best movies ive ever seen.
dude, you're missing the point, this movie is NOTHING like United 93 and my point is that it should be!!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
rchanou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if any of the two movies, "United 93" or "World Trade Center", donated or will donate any of the money they make? I guess that would be the only reason for me to go see either of those movies.
      07-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
they wake up in the morning like nothing is going on. all of the sudden an emergency arises. the dialogs are full of "i've never seen anything like this" sentences. they (the two characters) go rescue the world. they largely succeed but they get trapped. we are all supposed to cry because those TWO characters are about to die. GIVE ME A F-ING BREAK!!!
This sounds exactly like Independence Day

or Volcano

or Dante's Peak

or Armageddon

or Deep Impact

I completely agree with you on this one vladinecko. So this is what our money-loving society has been reduced to...making money off a national tragedy.

See, if they made this movie in 40-50 years from now, I could understand it. The producers would obviously want to tell a story from a generation or two ago...like Pearl Harbor (which I thought sucked) or Saving Private Ryan (which I though was excellent).

But you can't bring a national tragedy like this into pop culture WHILE there are still terrorists around!

I don't know, I haven't seen Flight 93...maybe it was good. But I think any 911 movie made while terrorism is still a major part of our lives is just plain wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks but no thanks.
      07-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #12
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
But you can't bring a national tragedy into pop culture WHILE there are still terrorists around!
There will always be terrorists around

You can't really say that "we are making money off of tragedies".

I learned more about the Jewish holocaust from movies (and there is a TON of them) than I ever did from textbooks, classes, and documentaries.
      07-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks

I learned more about the Jewish holocaust from movies (and there is a TON of them) than I ever did from textbooks, classes, and documentaries.
I learned that Jews are good accountants and musicians from Schindler's List and The Pianist.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope not, squawks!

Terrorism (the modern kind we know) started in the 1970s with airplane hijackings and has since then spread like a bad social disease. I guess you could say there have always been revolutionaries, but I hope terrorists will eventually be destroyed once and for all.

I don't know how, but I hope in like 15-20 years from now these car bombings and everything else will completely stop...I mean it's so cowardly!

I'm not totally against a WTC movie, I just think it's too soon. You're right, holocaust--or any history-type movies, if done correctly, can help you to learn about it better than a book would.

But I don't know, there weren't a lot of holocaust movies made WHILE the holocaust was still going on. I think people were more interested in stopping it than capitalizing on it. Maybe there were ones before it, but Schindler's List came out what 40 years after.

However, I am a huge fan of Oliver Stone, so maybe the wtc movie won't be that bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:

Wait a second...why did you use the thumbsup smiley after that statement...are you a terrorist? I'm watching you.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #16
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well I just checked out the official site and the good thing is it seems to be done in really good taste. And it doesn't seem to be a typical cheesy hollywood love story.

I think if oliver stone is doing it, it will be done really well.

But I still think it's too soon
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #17
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
I have family in NY and many clients so this affected me personally.

While I can understand opening wounds that haven’t quite heeled by many history must be told. Corny movie or not.

While waited 50 years sounds like a good time span. Too much would be lost in time and this is an event we need to remember.

Think about it.

World War II ended in 1945 only 61 years ago.

Civil Rights Movement started in 1960 only 46 years ago.

The Vietnam Conflict ended in 1975 a mer 31 years ago.

Somalia Conflict were an estimated 300,000 people died and 1.5 million had to seek refugee was in 1991 just 15 years ago.

Still today most people didn’t know this happened and as a human being we need to know about this.

Black Hawk down was made in 1995. 4 years later.

Oklahoma bombing in 1995 10 years ago. Movie was made the same year in 1995.

I could go on and on…

While there are many tragic events that happened before and during our lifetime. I personally feel that to tell the story is a good thing.

Locking it up and hiding it away for 40 – 60 years helps no one, and in my mind would be a shame if people weren’t allowed to tell their stories. Hollywood version or not these stories need to be told. It's part of the healing process.

Maybe one day we'll finally learn from our mistakes.
      07-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJJ3399
Locking it up and hiding it away for 40 – 60 years helps no one, and in my mind would be a shame if people weren’t allowed to tell their stories. Hollywood version or not these stories need to be told. It's part of the healing process.

Maybe one day we'll finally learn from our mistakes.
Yeah, you know what, my initial reaction to seeing this was woah, wait a minute! You know, how greedy could people be?

But the more I think about it and consider the alternate argument, like it has historical and cutural signifigance, maybe it isn't so bad after all.

It's true, we must never forget. And movies will help to make sure that we won't.

As long as some portion of whatever they make on the film goes toward some kind of good 911 cause, I guess I'm cool with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I hope not, squawks!

Terrorism (the modern kind we know) started in the 1970s with airplane hijackings and has since then spread like a bad social disease. I guess you could say there have always been revolutionaries, but I hope terrorists will eventually be destroyed once and for all.
Terrorism has been around since the dawn of man kind and will be here for a long, long time.

Only the target has changed. When it became Caucasians in the United State, the country woke up!

Before that, it never really mattered until the target changed.

Think about this.

Native Americans Terrorized. Almost killed off and driven off their land to reservations.

Afican Americans Terrorized. During reconstruction, they were often burned out of there homes, killed, some were lynched and subjected to years of terror from the KKK and various hate groups.

Japanses Amercians Terrorized. Put in internment camps during WWII.

Jewish Americans Terrorized. Often by hate groups.

Our government was involved in some of these forms of Terrorism.

Once again I could go on and on...
      07-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #20
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49
IMO, I think trying to capitalize and make money on September 11 this soon is absolutely pathetic and disgraceful. Wait 30 years, then make a movie about it.. I think it's waaaay to early for a movie like this to be out..
I totally agree .......
We already witness this in our life-time, we dont need a freakin movie to remind us......... 20-30 yrs later is a diff story, then our kids/grand kids can learn about the tragedy
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #21
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJJ3399
Terrorism has been around since the dawn of man kind and will be here for a long, long time.

Only the target has changed. When it became Caucasians in the United State, the country woke up!

Before that, it never really mattered until the target changed.

Think about this.

Native Americans Terrorized. Almost killed off and driven off their land to reservations.

Afican Americans Terrorized. During reconstruction, they were often burned out of there homes, killed, some were lynched and subjected to years of terror from the KKK and various hate groups.

Japanses Amercians Terrorized. Put in internment camps during WWII.

Jewish Americans Terrorized. Often by hate groups.

Our government was involved in some of these forms of Terrorism.

Once again I could go on and on...
I understand what you're trying to say, but I what I meant by "modern terrorism" was "modern radical islamic terrorism"--suicide bomings, car/bus/building bombings, against the US and our interests ect. That's what I want to go away, and I hope it will some day.

I think what you and squawks are saying is there will always be broad forms of terrorism, which is true, and a lot of "bad acts" can be considered terrorism.

But don't mind me, because I'm really confused about the world today anyway. I was always pretty good with history and remembering dates, etc., but that's not saying too much because I don't even understand current events anymore...how will I be able to explain what's going on now to anyone years from now?

I can see all the news reports and listen to all the speeches and watch all the documentaries, and yet I still don't understand all the fighting.

When someone attacked the US, like on 911, I didn't know who they were or why they did it. I didn't know what they're trying to achieve, and 5 years later, I still don't.

People have offered many explanations and I've listened, but I think like many people, I still don't really understand.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #22
enwhykiid
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 titanium 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
anyone seen the preview for this? when i first saw it i couldn't believe my eyes and then after i looked it up on the web and saw yet more previews, i thought i was going to throw up.

i simply cannot believe they can take the biggest tragedy in american history and convert it into a pile of sentimental crap spinning around "i love you" messages of two individuals. i think this movie is a total disgrace to the events of 9/11.

when United 93 came out i was a little hesitant about it until i went to see it. i was more than pleased to see that the director and screenwriter didn't choose the cliche cheesy hollywood way of going around the topic, rather they the movie was made very realistic, almost documentary-like, which told the story as it happened (to the best of their knowledge).

this new Nicolas Cage movie, however, follows the exact path which i was hoping i would never see in any movies about 9/11. that is, pick two characters, they must have wives and kids. they wake up in the morning like nothing is going on. all of the sudden an emergency arises. the dialogs are full of "i've never seen anything like this" sentences. they (the two characters) go rescue the world. they largely succeed but they get trapped. we are all supposed to cry because those TWO characters are about to die. GIVE ME A F-ING BREAK!!!

i think this topic deserves a lot more than this Titanic-like portrayal of the events and definitely should get more respect than that. this kind of sounds like an anti-propaganda but i seriously can't stand this kind of hollywood movies and i will definitely not going to see it.
Appreciate 0