BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #23
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

fastest way to get liquid all over your car? put ANY vessel for liquid in the front cupholders and MILDLY accelerate for the tip and spray. have to hold my coffee mug on way to course, then, when completley done, i open up the thigh support as far as it will go and wedge my mug up in there (of course with the spout facing up).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
330iTiAg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
I got rear cup holders in my E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_guy
I do too
What model year?

Mods: Full Venture Shield protection kit, RPi scoops, Euro fog light switch, LUX V4, clear reflectors, OEM black chrome grilles and side gills, black hood vents, IND F10 M5 shift knob and boot
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
If one plans to have people drink in the back seat then it's time to get a different car then an ///M

My 2 cents

Mind you if one is desperate then one can find one here ...

http://www.cargogear.com/Organizers/Organizers.aspx

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-01-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM3 View Post
NEW RULE... No drinks in the rear seat area, it's a German made
car.
"Sorry kids, no drinks. Daddy will have back pains cleaning after you".
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
At Spartanburg's Performance Delivery Centre they have a couple of gift shops, and I saw a metallic blue "official" BMW drink container that was (as expected) a little pricey, but it was almost the same color as LeMans Blue Metallic. Bought it, placed it in a plastic bag, and began the drive home. After a few hundred miles, I rinsed it via the hotel sink, and then filled-it with my favorite soda for an early-morning caffeine boost.

Nope... It does not fit. The BMW cup does not fit into the BMW cup holder. The diameter is about 2mm larger than the holder.

(It does look nice, though, resting unused on my kitchen counter.)

I've found that pretty much every container-BMW manufactured included-is either 4mm too narrow or 4mm too wide for the cup holders. They either won't fit at all, or fit with enough slop to tip over and fall out at the first corner.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #28
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
E90 has the cup holder while the E92/93 do not as I recall...
Isn't it the other way around? e92 has them on the end of the flip down center arm rest. e93 has them on the center console (flip open thingy). If they put them in the e90, I have yet to find them (although I haven't spent more than the time required to put my son into the car seat in the back).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #29
Demkay
Private
Rep
Drives: E93

F*ck that. I've spilt every damn drink imaginable. In every container imaginable. Every time I get her cleaned (properly) the guy asks me why I don't cover my drinks. .... When I do really.

Man, the other day I got pissed behind 7 cars;.... all behind an electric car, rolling at like half the speed limit, and I hit it so hard, my wireless radar flew into me from the corner of the dashboard where I'd placed it, the Coca Cola flew into the passenger seat, my glasses flew from the ashtray into the console and my hat nearly flew off. (That was embarrassing holding onto my hat)

Anyhow, I found that the best cup holder is the one in the centre console, ...That Can ain't going nowhere.

And the cup holders in the back that the kids use is excellent.

The E93 has 2 in front - 1 in console - and 2 in back. ..... Brilliant.

I'm gonna worry about stupid stains about 2 days before I sell the sucker in about 10 years from now. (Seats don't stain in the E93 due to some sun protection product that they apparently put on) ... whatever.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post
I have the cold weather pkg (but an '09) with ski bag pass through, and I still have the cup holders. If you have two covers in the rear center console, the one closest to the seat back slides forward and backwards (cubby hole), and the front one opens by pressing the black button on the seat back side. The two sides stand up, and it becomes a "drink holder."

Cheers

Thanks very much for this. To confirm, are you saying that the two sides that stand up become an "upright" cupholder vs. putting your cup down into a cupholder like it's done on 99.9% of cars out there? I think I got confused because I expected a cupholder to be below level vs above level! BTW, for what it's worth, I read my entire manual and they never explained the cupholders...

Meanwhile, I expected the "unique" design of the cupholders in front to be a disaster in terms of stability but, surprisingly, I have no issues whatsoever after 3+ weeks. And I have cans in the car almost every day!

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
Thanks very much for this. To confirm, are you saying that the two sides that stand up become an "upright" cupholder vs. putting your cup down into a cupholder like it's done on 99.9% of cars out there? I think I got confused because I expected a cupholder to be below level vs above level! BTW, for what it's worth, I read my entire manual and they never explained the cupholders...

Meanwhile, I expected the "unique" design of the cupholders in front to be a disaster in terms of stability but, surprisingly, I have no issues whatsoever after 3+ weeks. And I have cans in the car almost every day!

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Yes. The two halves split, hinged on the outer long-edges, and leave a gap of about three-inches in the middle...then there is inner-filler stuff to sort of grab onto whatever is in the middle.

When I am carrying more than one drink (almost always unflavored water bottles), the current bottle will ride in the front cup holder, and the still-sealed bottle will ride in the back in the middle. Not once in a few thousand miles of travel has the back bottle (which is always full and unopened) tipped out. It is very stable -- if weird-looking.

The "2011 M3 Series Owners Manual with iDrive" book has cupholders on pages 116 and 117. (see attached screen prints.)

Attached Images

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!

Last edited by VMcV3y; 10-01-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: for clarity
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
Isn't it the other way around? e92 has them on the end of the flip down center arm rest. e93 has them on the center console (flip open thingy). If they put them in the e90, I have yet to find them (although I haven't spent more than the time required to put my son into the car seat in the back).
the center flip down in the rear has 2 cup holders in it. you push the center section and they pop out.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #33
White person
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM3
Clear us day now guys. No cup holders means not worrying of anyone spilling any liquid in the back. NEW RULE... No drinks in the rear seat area, it's a German made
car.
Haha ya
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #34
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
E90 has the cup holder while the E92/93 do not as I recall...
E92 just has a floppy pillow that pulls out. It's not even am arm rest. It's a damn cushion.
      10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
the center flip down in the rear has 2 cup holders in it. you push the center section and they pop out.
Not in my car.... In my 335 this is the way it was, but in the M the center part isnt even hinged and just flops out like a built in pillow or something.
      10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Not in my car.... In my 335 this is the way it was, but in the M the center part isnt even hinged and just flops out like a built in pillow or something.
Right, I was quoting a guy talking about e90s not having the cup holders which they do. You have an e92 and you get a pillow apparently.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

My 2012MY E92 has rear cup holders, but they are as described "Convertible - rear" in the manual above.

They come as part of the extended storage option (in the UK).

Changing the subject slightly...anyone watch the Ryder Cup...?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #38
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Off topic to rear cup holders but on topic for cup holders.

I have searched for a fix because my front cup holder sticks a bit when I try to open it. I have cleaned them pretty well. Anyone use silicon or anything to fix this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #39
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Right, I was quoting a guy talking about e90s not having the cup holders which they do. You have an e92 and you get a pillow apparently.
I was wondering what that pillow was for. Seems very useless.

I don't know if I have rear cup holders in my '11 E92 but if I do find them in there I'm certainly not going to tell any of my passengers.

Before I bought my M3 a friend demonstrated the capabilities of his going from a rapid acceleration to a seat belt locking, chest tightening rapid deceleration. The cap wasn't on his water bottle in the cup holder and it made quite a mess.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #40
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, thanks! I learned something new here. When I picked up my car I had the Recaro Start seat in the back of the old 325i. My wife threw it into the back seat of the M while I was getting the run through by my SA. It has never moved...

It is just big enough to slightly hang over the edge of the pull down center seat and I haven't spent much time back there. The owner's manual ONLY shows the position for the e92 and e93, so I just assumed that there wasn't a cup holder.

What do you know?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #41
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

according to this, I CANNOT put a Double Gulp or damage will result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Yes. The two halves split, hinged on the outer long-edges, and leave a gap of about three-inches in the middle...then there is inner-filler stuff to sort of grab onto whatever is in the middle.

When I am carrying more than one drink (almost always unflavored water bottles), the current bottle will ride in the front cup holder, and the still-sealed bottle will ride in the back in the middle. Not once in a few thousand miles of travel has the back bottle (which is always full and unopened) tipped out. It is very stable -- if weird-looking.

The "2011 M3 Series Owners Manual with iDrive" book has cupholders on pages 116 and 117. (see attached screen prints.)

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #42
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

Correct. DO NOT put a Double Gulp in your body or your kidneys will explode.
      10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #43
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

Only if you are driving through New York City, man! But you are a not-serious-driver and not not a not-serious-drinker, right?

Oh, here's a 20-oz cup in one of the two places for the E93....
Attached Images

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #44
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Dammit! Just read my manual and it says I have them. But, I just checked, and it just has the plastic inserts. I don't let anyone in the rear drink, so now they definitely won't! FWIW, I have the Cold Weather Package.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0