BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

06-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Test Drive- Boxster Spyder

Stopped by Porsche of Arlington yesterday to take a look at a preowned GT3 that they have on the lot and happened to see the new Boxster Spyder.

Visually, it has to be one of the best looking Porsches ever. The back looks like a GT, the front like a 911 and the rest is Cayman. The inside is a work of art! The seats are Carbon, leather and suede and the removable top is framed in dry carbon...so sweet! Everything is where it is supposed to be in the cabin and very driver oriented.

I drove the 6-speed version without the limited slip down I395 and did a few high speed off/on ramp runs followed by some driving in the city. Here are my thoughts:

Exterior: simply stunning. The ass end of this Porsche is a work of art.

Chasis/Steering: very direct and precise. The car felt super light....very go-kart like. This car is a pure drivers car and it let's you know this as soon as you slide into the GT3 style carbon buckets.

Brakes: felt great! We all know how good Porsche
brakes are.

Suspension: felt very forgiving in the city. Honestly, I thought it felt better than the comfort setting on the M3. I guess because the car is so light, the suspension doesn't have to work as hard to rebound after hitting bumps on the road. On the turns, it felt very flat and controlled. I did feel the back end slip a bit but this one didn't have the limited slip. Great ride!

Engine and tranny: considering that I haven't driven a manual since I purchased the DCT, I had a lot of fun! Nothing better than a smooth, 6spd tranny. The engine felt very strong and responsive and it is good enough for a sub 5 sec 0-60.

Honestly I was so impressed that for a second, I wanted to order one. However, when I got home I hopped into the ///M and realized how good the M really is.

The ///M being an 8 on a 10 scale, I give the Boxster Spyder a 6. Add the limited slip and another 100 HP and I would of probably ordered
one in White with red interior and black wheels. However at $67k for a well equipped Spyder, I think it is a good deal for those who want a drivers car that looks amazing and is a lot of fun to drive. While I still prefer my M3, I think the Spyder is much more fun of a car overall.

My first choice is still the GT3. There is one at the Porsche near Great Falls. All I have to do now is sell a kidney and my first born to afford one....where do I sign?

SZ

Written on my IPhone, please excuse all of the grammatical errors.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Nice review. I agree that the Spyder is one of if not the best looking car in their lineup right now.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
For a DD, the spyder isnt very good with no A/C or radio and isnt as good as the m3 there, but it isnt supposed to be.
As for someone looking for a performance, trackable, communicative car, that is more fun, its far better.
This one had A/C and radio....the ones without are special order.

SZ
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Speed isn't everything (and I lived in Germany from 04 to 09). Take my bike for a ride if you want to know how slow your M3s all are. BMWs are great all-rounders, have some character, and are generally very good passenger cars. But Porsche they are not. They don't come close to the driving experience, the design and craftsmanship, character, passion, and especially the pride of ownership. While I'd love to have that Spyder in my garage, it still isn't a 911 which is the car to crave in this price range. I'm sure the Spyder thrills in ways which more closely represent the fun of hyper performance motorcycling than any M3 ever could, but I'd find it impossible to buy it over a 911. In fact, I'm trading my Z4 M in for a Carrera S when I get out of this hell hole. But keeping my M3 for daily driver duties.
      06-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Speed isn't everything (and I lived in Germany from 04 to 09). Take my bike for a ride if you want to know how slow your M3s all are. BMWs are great all-rounders, have some character, and are generally very good passenger cars. But Porsche they are not. They don't come close to the driving experience, the design and craftsmanship, character, passion, and especially the pride of ownership. While I'd love to have that Spyder in my garage, it still isn't a 911 which is the car to crave in this price range. I'm sure the Spyder thrills in ways which more closely represent the fun of hyper performance motorcycling than any M3 ever could, but I'd find it impossible to buy it over a 911. In fact, I'm trading my Z4 M in for a Carrera S when I get out of this hell hole. But keeping my M3 for daily driver duties.
Honestly, I think I agree with this although the M3 is a spectacular machine.

The Porsches to me just feel more focused and precise....I guess I just need both

SZ
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
For a DD, the spyder isnt very good with no A/C or radio and isnt as good as the m3 there, but it isnt supposed to be.
As for someone looking for a performance, trackable, communicative car, that is more fun, its far better.
not only that, but it has a tarp for a roof...that might fly in So Cal for a 2nd car, but Virginia?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
You don't need a tarp for the track...
I value the top of my head, thanks. I tracked a MZ3 a few times and it was a blast, but i finally realized that its not very smart without installing race level roll bars.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

the only problem is see is you need to watch the weather channel everytime before you go out. because if it rain while you are driving and it take atleast 5 minutes for a person to put this up, then you already end up with a flood vehicle by the time you are done.

this car is amazing no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
the only problem is see is you need to watch the weather channel everytime before you go out. because if it rain while you are driving and it take atleast 5 minutes for a person to put this up, then you already end up with a flood vehicle by the time you are done.

this car is amazing no doubt.
The Spyder is no more mere transportation than my Italian bike. You check weather before these come out of the garage, and keep them clean and shiny and miles minimum. These are long-term keepers. And you and I both know the benefit of a E46 M3 daily driver. Great fun and low cost for the boring miles as well as the fun segments on the daily journeys.
      06-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

If you guys want a thrilling & exhilarating fair weather machine AND amazing track device, check out the Atom.

I had a ride on track in one in May and it blew my mind. Boxster has nothing on it - nothing.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
The Spyder is no more mere transportation than my Italian bike. You check weather before these come out of the garage, and keep them clean and shiny and miles minimum. These are long-term keepers. And you and I both know the benefit of a E46 M3 daily driver. Great fun and low cost for the boring miles as well as the fun segments on the daily journeys.
i see your point, but the problem is in the bike...rain won't damage it if you get caught....weather channel is not accurate all the time.

but in this car, rain and you are done. imagine all that water in your interior and you are on the highway. there is nothing you can do in this case.

in any case, i guess the rich wont care if the car get damage. they just buy another one, lol
Appreciate 0