BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I love washing my E93 (non M), for the same reasons. The E9x is a stunning design, and even more so in M-clothing.

In fact I was going to wash it today but the weather was a bit chilly and windy so I decided to wait until later next week when it's warmer and no rain in the forecast. I love using the griots products and I do cringe though trying to get the brake dust off my M359 wheels in black. I think each time I get a few more scratches into the wheels no matter how much soap and water I try to use.

What I hate more though is after my car is finally all clean, I can't stand when lights turn red on me and I need to apply the brakes to stop, getting the nice and fresh wheels coated in brake dust all over again!!! Stupid brake dust.. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
I'm usually thinking what a lucky bastard I am, and how sexy a JB M3 looks when it's clean.

I'm sure my neighbors talk about my weekly 2-3 hour car cleaning session.
Bang on! JB is an amazing colour, especially right after you clean it. Is it black, is it dark blue, is it dark purple? I am one lucky guy.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #25
Khrishna
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Love "washing" my cars. In 17 months of ownership, I have never washed my M3 with the traditional soap and water method. Have only used Griots Spray-On Car Wash along with their deep pile microfiber cloths. The finish on my car is flawless. Nice thing about the spray on, is that once you wipe it off, then give a good buff with a second dry microfiber towel, the car is cleaned, dried, and has a brilliant shine. I swear by the stuff. I even use it on my black Cayenne which is a my daily driver, and the finish is brilliant even on that vehicle. I take the Cayenne to a touchless car wash in winter when the grime gets on really thick, but then I still use the Griots to finish up.

I never imagined I would give up the traditional wash method, but I have, and I don't think I will ever go back.
You would be surpised what your paint looks like under the light. that washless quick detailer stuff just drags dirt all over the finish

Nothing beats the two bucket method..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
You've got spacers on this one, right? Seems pretty evident, especially on the rear wheels.
Yes, 10mm Turners on all four corners.

Born on July 4th, 2012, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #27
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

handwash since day one..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #28
nikkoo
Rep
Drives: ford

hi

I hate washing my car
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #29
regensburg94
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR M3 ZCP 6MT

Love washing the car when it's a pretty light job and it cleans up easily. I'm not as happy when I have to go the extra mile to remove grime.

Something about getting the final spots off a perfectly clean car...very satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
glockperfect
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board
I'm usually thinking what a lucky bastard I am, and how sexy a JB M3 looks when it's clean.

I'm sure my neighbors talk about my weekly 2-3 hour car cleaning session.
My neighbor likes to walk over while I am working on my car and joke that I am going to "wash the paint off of it" because I pretty much wash it every week.

I really enjoy spending time to keep the car looking good. I always hand wash. It's like spending quality time with my car, having a couple brews and listening to my iPod. Totally therapeutic.
      11-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

...and we all know when you clean the car, it runs stronger, faster, and at least picks up 5 hp! j/k, but you know what I mean...hhaha.
      11-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #32
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

I got a white E92 so that I wouldn't have to wash it as much.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #33
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
My wife doesnt understand this. I feel it is a time for me to connect with my vehicles, know the car personally. I dont really think about much other than the beauty of the car and the "Im lucky to have this" has definitely passed through my mind. She hates it and washes hers once a month through the drive thru. Whatever...
      11-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #34
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I always do a hand wash.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #35
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
x2 - good time with a couple of brews in hand
That's the only way I wash my cars.

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #36
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

I think for many of us cleaning our cars becomes more of a craft and art form. Always looking for for the products we like best, what time of day is it the best, how to clean and maintain in the least time consuming manner (which has always been a struggle for me at least).

For many of us cars are more than just a means for transportation, but a lifestyle and code of ethics that we live by. I was always raised to care for your personal belongings and treat others the same.

Although it is nearly impossible to prevent small marring and scratches in my Jerez black E90 M, I am always seeking ways to reduce through an insane (what my family GF consider at least) and methodical cleaning.

It is definitely extremely theraputic for me as well as is driving and playing golf. But cleaning my cars has always been something that you very rarely these days have total control over and something that you can call your own.

This weekend the girl was away and the only thing I could think of come Friday was wow a whole weekend of dedicating to the cars without getting the evil eye! Ha!

Happy Sunday gents and happy cleaning. Getting colder here in MA so ill take 50 degrees all day long!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #37
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
you hand wash your beloved M3?

We had a great day today here in Southwestern Ontario Canada ... not bad at all for a Mid November Day

So I decided to wash our cars.

Made me think of the ///M3 folks the love and devotion they put into there work to create a fine automobile ... hand washing my ///M3 made me think of the

Designers, Engineers and naturally the Ladies and Gent's on the Assembly line that with so much care put our cars together until at the end the START button is pushed and the engine makes her first sounds.

Made me think how lucky I am to drive such a fine automobile.

All sorts of images went thru my mind as I washed every curve and surface of her ... so I am wondering what is it you think about when you hand wash your toy/baby or automobile?

Or do you just go thru a car wash? Share your thoughts or just go wash her then tell us what went thru your mind
Did you have a happy ending???
Appreciate 0