BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
20/20
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

6NF Smartphone Problems

I have the 6FL and 6NF options on my 2009 M3 and the iphone 3G snap-in adapter, however i haven't been able to play music through the snap-in adapter. The phone charges and the antenna signal seems to improve when connected, however idrive doesn't recognize the iphone as being connected for music purposes, even when all other USB connections are free. Has anyone else had this issue with the 3G snap-in adapter, and if so what do I need to do to fix it?

thanks!

2014 Range Rover Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

When you say USB connections are free, I hope you mean the ipod cable isn't plugged in. I think just having the cable plugged in makes the music not function on the smartphone integration. If you have everything unplugged, then I would try re-inserting the cradle and then re-connecting your iPhone before you turn on radio-readiness on the car. I've only had my music on my 2G iPhone not show up once. But once I re-connected the phone and started up the car everything worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaStick View Post
When you say USB connections are free, I hope you mean the ipod cable isn't plugged in. I think just having the cable plugged in makes the music not function on the smartphone integration. If you have everything unplugged, then I would try re-inserting the cradle and then re-connecting your iPhone before you turn on radio-readiness on the car. I've only had my music on my 2G iPhone not show up once. But once I re-connected the phone and started up the car everything worked fine.
Yeah, mine wasn't registering at first, but then it does work through the NAV now. The only problem (which happens on a lot of devices I use my 2G through) says that "this device is not compatible" and I click that I do NOT want my phone turned off.

Now the problem I'm running into is that I get that interference/static noise when I listen to my iphone. Are you running into this?
      03-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20 View Post
I have the 6FL and 6NF options on my 2009 M3 and the iphone 3G snap-in adapter, however i haven't been able to play music through the snap-in adapter. The phone charges and the antenna signal seems to improve when connected, however idrive doesn't recognize the iphone as being connected for music purposes, even when all other USB connections are free. Has anyone else had this issue with the 3G snap-in adapter, and if so what do I need to do to fix it?

thanks!
Interesting problem you are having. I also can't get either my iPod or my iPhone to play through music through iDrive, only throught the AUX port controlled by the iPod itself. I have not purchased a $175.00 cradle yet, and may never. I'd love to know if you can solve this as my problem sounds similar.

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #5
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

You might also check that you do infact have the 3G cradle. The old cradle would allow everything you have but not the music. I'd double check the cradle....and that the iPod cable is not connected. I had that problem first with the cable connected but without my iPod and the cradle wouldn't recognise the music until I pulled the cable out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
PrinceSmooth
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2012 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
I have the EXACT same problem, I just picked up my cradle yesterday... I'm gonna go sit in the car until I figure this out...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
PrinceSmooth
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2012 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
got it, just make sure the Y-cable - 6FL isn't plugged in before you power up the car... it should work fine thereafter
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistaStick View Post
TwistaStick has it, spot on. The Smartphone Integration prioritizes the USB for music, when the Y-Cable is plugged in the music function on the iPhone is blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
You might also check that you do infact have the 3G cradle. The old cradle would allow everything you have but not the music. I'd double check the cradle....and that the iPod cable is not connected. I had that problem first with the cable connected but without my iPod and the cradle wouldn't recognise the music until I pulled the cable out.
I had this issue. There are 2 3G cradles, one, non-smartphone integration (-38) and one, smartphone integration (-43). If you have smartphone integration (6NF) and use -38 cradle, you don't have music function. With -43, you get full functionality of your iPhone.

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0