BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

02-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Rx8135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Test Drive: 335i vs Evo X vs New Sti

So this week has been an interesting week for me. Ive gone to several dealerships to drive several turbocharged cars to sort of give me an idea if the 135i is what i want for sure. That being said, ive had the opportunity to drive a Auto 335i coupe, Evo X Gsr, and the new 6 speed STI. All great cars but one lacks something of another.

The first car i drove was the 335i. Many of you have already driven this car and know what its capable of. Its fast and fun to drive. Therefore i wont spend time writing a review on this car but i will compare it to the others.

The second car I drove was the Evo. This car a totally new body style and engine compared to the Evo 9. I will have to say Mitsubishi dropped the bomb on this one. Being an owner of a 03 Evo 8 gsr previously, i was not impressed at all. Yes the handling was great (really great compared to the 335i) but the power was not all there. It felt heavy and really didnt offer me any of the wow factor. This car is actually on the bottom of my list.

The last car I drove, today acutally, was the STI. This car is actually amazing. Though the body style has change, it still has the same boxer engine with a little more power added. This car is fast and handles terrific. It almost has the urgent power delivery of the 335i and has the handling to make it a complete package. Ive read several reviews on the STI and most have been negative. I oppose. Ive driven an 04 STI, 06 STI, and now the 08 STI, and id have to say this is the best by far. The interior is far better then the Evo but not as good as the 335i of course. The exhaust note is really throaty and reminds me more of a v12 then in boxer 4. Overall this car wins in drivability.

Conclusion, I still think the 135i will have what i want compared to these 3 cars. The sti was the best but i am not a fan of the body style. I believe the 135i will offer even more power then the 335i and better handling too. Which the 135i being a little lighter, i think it will give me more of a sports car feel which is actually what im looking for after owning a rx-8. If all of these factors fall into place with the 135i, it will be a no brainer to pick. Otherwise the STI would be next on my plate.

Sorry if the review sucked, its my first one and just wanted to give people an idea of a real world opinion.
      02-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion on those popular cars. We are pleased that your final decision coincides with most of us here on 1Addicts.
      02-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I'm sure this will continue to be a very common comparison. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to get my hands on an Evo or STi but I was actually a bit letdown by my experience in a 335i. I am sure most everyone will disagree with me here.
      02-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I was actually a bit letdown by my experience in a 335i. I am sure most everyone will disagree with me here.
Duh, I've come to terms that your are in your own little world my friend.
      02-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Having driven an Evo VIII and '03 STi, at the time I would have given the nod to the Evo since it was more 'on edge'. Too bad Mistu decided to soften up the Evo - a real shame, cause that car brought a smile to my face every chance I had to drive it.

I really like Subaru (the company) and a lot of their products make a good deal of sense. There's some real decent tech in the STi, I just wish material quality was higher in that car. (BTW, I picked up a copy of a book called, "Where the Suckers Moon", Rothenburg - a very good read about advertizing and the Subaru SVX).

I can understand the comments about the 335i being a bit of a letdown. A lot of folks have descrivbed it vs. the 135i as a crusier, rather than what we're hoping the 135i to be, a bit of an edgier car.

That said, the BMW PR folks I talked to in Chicago were careful to explain that the 135i won't be 'knife edged' like their M cars. The last M car I've driven was a E46 M3 - and it felt like it was up on it's tippy toes - like a 'sprinter in the blocks' ready to take off with the slightest encouragement. And I scared the crap outta my mother-in-law with a drive in the M3 (and I'm not sure that's a good thing ; -).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
BMW135iCA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

To be honest when i test drove the 335i coupe, automatic, I thought the handling was great. I was not let down at all.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135iCA View Post
To be honest when i test drove the 335i coupe, automatic, I thought the handling was great. I was not let down at all.

Chris
I felt the same way. I strangely was not missing my S2000 when I was behind the wheel of a 335i automatic sedan. :iono:
      02-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I can understand the comments about the 335i being a bit of a letdown. A lot of folks have descrivbed it vs. the 135i as a crusier, rather than what we're hoping the 135i to be, a bit of an edgier car.
I think that describes it really well. The 335i just is not a very edgy car (I'm trying to think of another word to describe it, but "edgy" fits perfectly). And, call me crazy, but while the N54 provides gallons of power, its power delivery really left me wanting more. It seemed to drive more like a freight train than a sports car. Perfect for a cruiser, a little too boring for a sports car.
      02-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I think that describes it really well. The 335i just is not a very edgy car (I'm trying to think of another word to describe it, but "edgy" fits perfectly). And, call me crazy, but while the N54 provides gallons of power, its power delivery really left me wanting more. It seemed to drive more like a freight train than a sports car. Perfect for a cruiser, a little too boring for a sports car.
There you have it! It is not a sports car.
      02-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

i used to own an 03 Evo 8 and it was a blast to drive... my new car comparisons are the 135, Evo X MR, and the 09 G8 GXP...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I felt the same way. I strangely was not missing my S2000 when I was behind the wheel of a 335i automatic sedan. :iono:
wow, really? two of my good friends owned s2ks, until one traded his in for a 6 speed 335 (his wifey had something to do with that decision). but he misses his s2k terribly and all of us agree that it's leaps and bounds more fun to drive than the 335.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
wow, really? two of my good friends owned s2ks, until one traded his in for a 6 speed 335 (his wifey had something to do with that decision). but he misses his s2k terribly and all of us agree that it's leaps and bounds more fun to drive than the 335.
The s2k is one of those cars that is more than the sum of its parts. I can say its probably the most fun to drive car I've driven, ever. Hopefully that will change, though...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

The 335 coupe that I drove felt too long and overly large.

Hopefully, the 135 will be a sporty, tossable car that can also be a decent cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
Dont be mistaken. I'm not taking anything away from my s2000. What I meant was I wasnt hurting driving the 335i. Ofcourse the 335i wasnt as fun but I wouldnt mind driving one. I'm sure your friend misses the compactness, highredline, etc. I will mist those things too among others.
      02-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Mr. E
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx8135i View Post
So this week has been an interesting week for me. Ive gone to several dealerships to drive several turbocharged cars to sort of give me an idea if the 135i is what i want for sure. That being said, ive had the opportunity to drive a Auto 335i coupe, Evo X Gsr, and the new 6 speed STI. All great cars but one lacks something of another.

The first car i drove was the 335i. Many of you have already driven this car and know what its capable of. Its fast and fun to drive. Therefore i wont spend time writing a review on this car but i will compare it to the others.

The second car I drove was the Evo. This car a totally new body style and engine compared to the Evo 9. I will have to say Mitsubishi dropped the bomb on this one. Being an owner of a 03 Evo 8 gsr previously, i was not impressed at all. Yes the handling was great (really great compared to the 335i) but the power was not all there. It felt heavy and really didnt offer me any of the wow factor. This car is actually on the bottom of my list.

The last car I drove, today acutally, was the STI. This car is actually amazing. Though the body style has change, it still has the same boxer engine with a little more power added. This car is fast and handles terrific. It almost has the urgent power delivery of the 335i and has the handling to make it a complete package. Ive read several reviews on the STI and most have been negative. I oppose. Ive driven an 04 STI, 06 STI, and now the 08 STI, and id have to say this is the best by far. The interior is far better then the Evo but not as good as the 335i of course. The exhaust note is really throaty and reminds me more of a v12 then in boxer 4. Overall this car wins in drivability.

Conclusion, I still think the 135i will have what i want compared to these 3 cars. The sti was the best but i am not a fan of the body style. I believe the 135i will offer even more power then the 335i and better handling too. Which the 135i being a little lighter, i think it will give me more of a sports car feel which is actually what im looking for after owning a rx-8. If all of these factors fall into place with the 135i, it will be a no brainer to pick. Otherwise the STI would be next on my plate.

Sorry if the review sucked, its my first one and just wanted to give people an idea of a real world opinion.
Comparing performance cars based on a test drive from a dealership is about as gay as you can get
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
Mumbles
Rep
Drives:

hmm.... i had a evo8 also,and just drove the evoX,and i feel like the X is a much better car. i'm just waiting on the 135i to come out so i can decide want car i want.im already falling in love with the X though:smile:
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
hmm.... i had a evo8 also,and just drove the evoX,and i feel like the X is a much better car. i'm just waiting on the 135i to come out so i can decide want car i want.im already falling in love with the X though:smile:
Where did you drive an EVO X? The dealers here dont even have them.
      02-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
Rx8135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Where did you drive an EVO X? The dealers here dont even have them.
my dealer had several of them in. the only reason i got a chance to test drive one was because i bought my evo 8 from them. I think the evo x is a way better handling car then the evo 8. I just doesnt delivery that raw power that the evo 8 or 9 does.