BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #23
myfirstbmw335i
myfirstbmw335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6-Speed, NAV, Sport

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
      02-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
First of all there is no mention of the driver being drunk. Police are saying that because of all the thick smoke created by the drivers who were racing, the driver of the car that hit the crowd probably never saw them until he started hitting people who WERE STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY WATCHING AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE!!

Second, yes there are at fault here. Did they directly hit people, no. But their actions caused the conditions which led to the accident.

Here what happened according to police...

1) 2 cars lined in on the highway at 3:40AM, burned out and took off down the highway leaving a large smoke cloud.
2) Crowd who gathered to watch moves out ONTO THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY to watch the cars speed away.
3) White sedan travelling down the highway comes upon crowd, can't see them because of the smoke and the fact that it's 3:40AM in the morning and it's pitch black out, and hits crowd STANDING THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY WATCHING AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE.

The only people at fault here are the street racers and the dumbasses who STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY TO WATCH AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE AT 3:40AM!!

I feel sorry for the families but this is nothing more then an event involving a group of current and future Darwin award winners.
The people at Darwin Awards are going to have a tough time selecting winners this year.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
The people at Darwin Awards are going to have a tough time selecting winners this year.
no kidding, it's only the middle of February and there's already an all-star list of candidates...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #26
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
First of all there is no mention of the driver being drunk. Police are saying that because of all the thick smoke created by the drivers who were racing, the driver of the car that hit the crowd probably never saw them until he started hitting people who WERE STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY WATCHING AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE!!

Second, yes there are at fault here. Did they directly hit people, no. But their actions caused the conditions which led to the accident.

Here what happened according to police...

1) 2 cars lined in on the highway at 3:40AM, burned out and took off down the highway leaving a large smoke cloud.
2) Crowd who gathered to watch moves out ONTO THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY to watch the cars speed away.
3) White sedan travelling down the highway comes upon crowd, can't see them because of the smoke and the fact that it's 3:40AM in the morning and it's pitch black out, and hits crowd STANDING THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY WATCHING AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE.

The only people at fault here are the street racers and the dumbasses who STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HIGHWAY TO WATCH AN ILLEGAL STREET RACE AT 3:40AM!!

I feel sorry for the families but this is nothing more then an event involving a group of current and future Darwin award winners.
+1
I saw an update on the national news this morning. They said the crowd gathered at 2am but otherwise the facts are the same as posted above. Based on the investigation the driver of the white car that hit the people will not be cited. The drag racers have not been found.

Watching interviews with these people I was amazed at their ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #27
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
I feel bad for the injured and dead. But you have to question some of these families. The story interviews a 27 year old woman who brought her child to the street race. She had to pull her child out of the way to not be hurt. Her 61 year old father was killed watching the illegal street race. What kind of family brings 3 generations to watch an illegal street race? No one should have died but what are these parents teaching their kids - 'this is cool and its okay to illegally race on the street'.

Darwin theory being validated, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaofeng View Post
Um, you guys might want to double check the article there. Not trying to be the Devil's advocate here, but no where in the article did it state that the guy who drove into the crowd was drunk. Apparently, the drag racers were burning out their tires and kicking up a lot of smoke, and when they took off, the crowd then "...moved into the road to watch the cars drive away." So it sounds like it was actually the racers that indirectly caused the deaths of many of these people.

That said, these idiots standing out in the middle of the street watching a drag race, in the midst of a cloud of tire smoke no less, were just as much at fault as anyone else. The only person that said the car which plowed into the crowd didn't have its headlights on was the 27 year old mom herself. I find her story a bit dubious, as she obviously had time to get her child out of harms way. Plus it's pretty hard to see anything when it's coming at you from behind, especially if there are no lights. Let's just say I find her story a bit suspicious.
+1 bag of chips..... who would bring their kid and dad to an illegal street race.... The desire of the street racers to win the Darwin award is clearly overshadowed by the desire to win this prestigious award by the observers..... Hey, let's walk onto an expressway in smoke! Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
This is just retarded. I'm not a proponent for street racing and upon reading the title I expected to say "Morons, get on the track instead of killing people." But no, I had to say, "what kind of idiot gathers in a group to WATCH some random street race." Oh! And WHO PLOWS INTO A CROWD!" Honestly, the street racers aren't at fault here. The story should be titled, "Drunk driving strikes again!"
You are an idiot.