BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
I'm sorry I'm not at liberty to say. Its classified. If I tell you, I'd have to kill you lol.

But this just in. My "Very credible source" says it will weight 1949lbs. 50lbs less cause it will have the new state of the art transmission, and a new black saphire color exclusive to the CSL Cabrio. The Color code is "BS"
I believe you!!

After all, your sig says............

"you can create your own reality." ........
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #24
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
M3 Cab weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1tarr View Post
Dear BMW USA President,

Can we have a Higher Performance M3 CSL Cabrio with Soft Top to lower the weight.

Assuming you are performing miracles and lowering the CSL to 3450 Pounds

Can you please please please get the CSL Cabrio to 3600 Pounds so we can enjoy true open top Motoring performance

I will even take a cardboard floor board or no floor board like Fred Flintstone

Thanks for Taking this concern Seriously
Greg
To be serious for a second--there are a few open top cars that do not suffer a huge weight or stiffness penalty compared to their closed top versions, but they are few and generally quite expensive or dedicated track type cars. With a car like the M3, either you opt for performance or you opt for a more limited performance and boulevarding.

There have been rumors that the M3 Cab will have an aluminum roof, but it's bound to carry at least a couple hundred pound surplus and less stiffness; not a good combo for a performance car. Decide what's more important to you. I'm sure the Cab will still be a fun car, but not one you'd choose for the track.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 09-04-2007 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:01 AM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

How bout an M3 with all body panels replaced with soft-top material? That should lighten it up quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
To be serious for a second--there are a few open top cars that do not suffer a huge weight or stiffness penalty compared to their closed top versions, but they are few and generally quite expensive or dedicated track type cars.
True, but none of them are 4-seaters. And the only reason they don't suffer in weight is that they are built on platforms designed to be convertibles to begin with. Technically speaking, most of the coupes that are based on these platforms could likely be made lighter with changes to the design of unibody, since the added rigidity provided by the roof could allow less material in other places.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #27
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
True, but none of them are 4-seaters. And the only reason they don't suffer in weight is that they are built on platforms designed to be convertibles to begin with. Technically speaking, most of the coupes that are based on these platforms could likely be made lighter with changes to the design of unibody, since the added rigidity provided by the roof could allow less material in other places.

Absolutely true. The Z4 M Coupe is 15kg heavier than the M Roadster for this very reason.
Appreciate 0