BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

08-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
BoomM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Coupe

Canadians buying M3's in the US.......

Just wondering if theres any canadians out there who have been able to buy brand new M3's in the US? Whether it was through ED or putting a certain amount of mileage on the car before bringing it back, etc. I will not be financing the car in any way, i will be paying straight cash.

Please don't post about NAFTA, or dealerships not allowed to sell to canadians, etc.

PM me if you don't want to post.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

I remember PM'ing GOLFRRR (number one sales agent in the US hands down from everything I have ever read on these forums) about this once when I was looking at buying a brand new ///M myself, his response pretty much said you cannot order directly through any American dealerships and have it brought to Canada to get it registered. If you have a house in the states then of course you could do it and just have it re-registered in Canada or maybe if you have family out there just get it in one of their names and then re-register it again in Ottawa. The easiest option would be if you didn't mind someone lightly using the car, would be to go to the classified sections and look at the threads where someone is selling a 2011/.5/.75 and purchase it from them with only a couple thousand miles on the clock.

Good luck in finding the perfect ///M.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
BoomM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
I remember PM'ing GOLFRRR (number one sales agent in the US hands down from everything I have ever read on these forums) about this once when I was looking at buying a brand new ///M myself, his response pretty much said you cannot order directly through any American dealerships and have it brought to Canada to get it registered. If you have a house in the states then of course you could do it and just have it re-registered in Canada or maybe if you have family out there just get it in one of their names and then re-register it again in Ottawa. The easiest option would be if you didn't mind someone lightly using the car, would be to go to the classified sections and look at the threads where someone is selling a 2011/.5/.75 and purchase it from them with only a couple thousand miles on the clock.

Good luck in finding the perfect ///M.
Thought about that. The only issue with doing that is paying the State sales tax on top of paying the roughly 20% (duty + HST, etc). The car still works out cheaper than canada even going that route. Ontario Dealers don't seem to have any wiggle room on the price, even if you do ED. $86K+HST is a lot to pay!

I was hoping I could workout something with a dealer and buy the car either myself or through a friend and do a European Delivery on it- put some miles on it, then when the car arrives back in the US its considered used....

Did you end up buying it brand new in canada?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomM3 View Post
Thought about that. The only issue with doing that is paying the State sales tax on top of paying the roughly 20% (duty + HST, etc). The car still works out cheaper than canada even going that route. Ontario Dealers don't seem to have any wiggle room on the price, even if you do ED. $86K+HST is a lot to pay!

I was hoping I could workout something with a dealer and buy the car either myself or through a friend and do a European Delivery on it- put some miles on it, then when the car arrives back in the US its considered used....

Dealerships in Canada rarely budge on prices because there is always somebody willing to pay full whack and not concerned with discounts, also the market is not comparable to the US. With that said though it is possible if you try really hard but no where near as much as people get off in the states, I've read threads with people getting as much as 9/10% off of brand new cars just sitting at the dealership that haven't even been taken for test drives.

My advice would be (as it's the only do-able option I can think of) get a friend, trusted friend at that, to go to the dealership with you and buy the car under his/her name, get an ED done, both of you go to the Welt and pick the car up, have it brought back to the US and then get a bill of sale written up to transfer it into your name. 2 things with this - 1; Get a broker if you're not familiar with the process as it'll make your life MUCH more easier in terms of not having to leave your house to sign paperwork etc, 2; if you want to save money through taxes don't declare full value on the BoS, maybe shave off about $10,000, they do NOT care and the car is pretty much used by this point so you'll save yourself a hefty amount and of course it would never affect re-sale value because that's your private document.

I personally ended up buying brand new in Canada. I had my SA look up unsecured cars en-route to Canada but he couldn't find anything to my specifications, he then done a search in Alberta on more unsecured cars that hadn't even made it to the dealerships yet and found one that was exactly what I wanted (took all of 20 minutes), the car was as brand new as they come it still had all the shipping materials on it with just 11kms on the clock. Gave a $5000 deposit to have the car bought in and it was perfect, brought it the same day.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
BoomM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Dealerships in Canada rarely budge on prices because there is always somebody willing to pay full whack and not concerned with discounts, also the market is not comparable to the US. With that said though it is possible if you try really hard but no where near as much as people get off in the states, I've read threads with people getting as much as 9/10% off of brand new cars just sitting at the dealership that haven't even been taken for test drives.

My advice would be (as it's the only do-able option I can think of) get a friend, trusted friend at that, to go to the dealership with you and buy the car under his/her name, get an ED done, both of you go to the Welt and pick the car up, have it brought back to the US and then get a bill of sale written up to transfer it into your name. 2 things with this - 1; Get a broker if you're not familiar with the process as it'll make your life MUCH more easier in terms of not having to leave your house to sign paperwork etc, 2; if you want to save money through taxes don't declare full value on the BoS, maybe shave off about $10,000, they do NOT care and the car is pretty much used by this point so you'll save yourself a hefty amount and of course it would never affect re-sale value because that's your private document.

I personally ended up buying brand new in Canada. I had my SA look up unsecured cars en-route to Canada but he couldn't find anything to my specifications, he then done a search in Alberta on more unsecured cars that hadn't even made it to the dealerships yet and found one that was exactly what I wanted (took all of 20 minutes), the car was as brand new as they come it still had all the shipping materials on it with just 11kms on the clock. Gave a $5000 deposit to have the car bought in and it was perfect, brought it the same day.
Awesome! thx for the input. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! thx for the input. Much appreciated.
Welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
airwave808
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:

Not true in my case. I got mine with 8% off of MSRP. If you don't take the HST into account and depending on what options you get, the difference is about $7,000 - $8,000. Some dealers are even more flexible in Toronto if you are paying cash. In my opinion, save yourself the pain and buy in Canada.

BTW, I just ordered a Monte Carlo Blue E92 and taking ED on September 3rd.

Last edited by airwave808; 08-07-2011 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0