BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #111
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

I don't track often, but when I do ...

No, seriously, I don't track very often, but my pace is picking up and as I am learning more, I am starting to notice more and more how car behaves in corners.

This weekend at VIR I found myself having to actually soften the car because it had some bouncing coming out of corners on throttle and straights. My initial instinct was to stiffen it up, but Tom Long suggested I soften it instead. He suspected it had too much rebound dampening. Softening it 2 clicks fixed it, but introduced slight body roll.

Overall still incredibly happy with them. I do feel like they are best compromise for a DD car. But now I wish I had two-way adjustables

Problem is, any two-way adjustable would ruin the street comfort, that Ohlins have.

Luckily, I don't plant to track E90 all that often. Hoping to build an e46 330 for future spec e46 class.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #112
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post

No, seriously, I don't track very often, but my pace is picking up and as I am learning more, I am starting to notice more and more how car behaves in corners.

This weekend at VIR I found myself having to actually soften the car because it had some bouncing coming out of corners on throttle and straights. My initial instinct was to stiffen it up, but Tom Long suggested I soften it instead. He suspected it had too much rebound dampening. Softening it 2 clicks fixed it, but introduced slight body roll.

Overall still incredibly happy with them. I do feel like they are best compromise for a DD car. But now I wish I had two-way adjustables

Problem is, any two-way adjustable would ruin the street comfort, that Ohlins have.

Luckily, I don't plant to track E90 all that often. Hoping to build an e46 330 for future spec e46 class.
Two-ways will not necessarily ruin street comfort, in some cases it could even improve it having the ability to independently adjust compression and rebound. If you pair them with stiff springs, hard camber plates, and rear shock mounts, then that's a different story.

Thanks for sharing the continuous updates!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #113
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post

Not necessarily true. My 2-way JRZ RS Pro, on street settings (3 clicks from softest) is supple and superb on the pedestrian roads & freeways. (mated to GC racing camber plate & Eibach 550f/800r springs)
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #114
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Two-ways will not necessarily ruin street comfort, in some cases it could even improve it having the ability to independently adjust compression and rebound. If you pair them with stiff springs, hard camber plates, and rear shock mounts, then that's a different story.

Thanks for sharing the continuous updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Not necessarily true. My 2-way JRZ RS Pro, on street settings (3 clicks from softest) is supple and superb on the pedestrian roads & freeways. (mated to GC racing camber plate & Eibach 550f/800r springs)
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #115
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
I had my first session on my RT's last weekend and I was impressed. Driving up to the track in comfort and within a few clicks the car was planted at every corner on the track. How does everyone choose the setup? I like the front to be a bit softer than the rear. I experienced a very neutral chassis with slight oversteer on the low speed corners. I'm in love with the Ohlins.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #116
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Your installer did not walk you through the adjustment procedure?

You can also install these:

http://www.hpashop.com/Ohlins-RT-E9x...-extenders.htm
With these are u able to adjust the damping while still having the boot carpets in place? My carpet has been removed since I installed my bilstein PSS10 but I wanna put it back if possible.

Can't wait to get my set!

Also is it highly recommended to change the sway bar end links with these
Coilovers? I might as well get it done whilst the suspension is off.

Aftermarket toe links too?

Fark. It's a never ending spending spree!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #117
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
With these are u able to adjust the damping while still having the boot carpets in place? My carpet has been removed since I installed my bilstein PSS10 but I wanna put it back if possible.

Can't wait to get my set!

Also is it highly recommended to change the sway bar end links with these
Coilovers? I might as well get it done whilst the suspension is off.

Aftermarket toe links too?

Fark. It's a never ending spending spree!
Yes, with the optional adjuster extenders you can adjust the damping with the carpet in place. However, you will need to drill a hole in the carpet for this to happen.

No, the endlinks aren't required, but recommended is you plan to lower your vehicle. The adjustable links simply get the sway bar to a more ideal geometry after lowering.

Toe links aren't needed, there is plenty of adjustment with the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #118
Adobong_M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP MW; 2008 545; X5d

Ohlins rock! Anyone using vorshlag camber plates with the Ohlins r/t?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #119
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I'm planning to.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #120
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobong_M View Post
Ohlins rock! Anyone using vorshlag camber plates with the Ohlins r/t?
There should be bunch of people running that combo. Out of all the 1M/M3 Ohlins R&T we sold(no less than 20 sets), more half of them were shipped with camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #121
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, with the optional adjuster extenders you can adjust the damping with the carpet in place. However, you will need to drill a hole in the carpet for this to happen.

No, the endlinks aren't required, but recommended is you plan to lower your vehicle. The adjustable links simply get the sway bar to a more ideal geometry after lowering.

Toe links aren't needed, there is plenty of adjustment with the stock one.
Really? I ran out of adjustment on mine and HAD to get toe links. My car isn't slammed either.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #122
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Really? I ran out of adjustment on mine and HAD to get toe links. My car isn't slammed either.

All of the 1M/M3's we did at the shop all left with the toe still in the middle of the adjustment range with plenty of adjustments to go in either direction.

Your camber settings will also have some affect on how much toe adjustment you are left with.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #123
Hoseroller74
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 DCT / ZCP

The Ohlins made in Japan , were strickly for thier Motorcycle and snowmobile division by Yamaha I understand that they purchased Ohlins. I'm under the impression its back in the hands of the Sweds..not entirely certain but heard they had some quality issues. Ive been using ohlins for the last 20yrs on my bikes and sleds and have absolutely nothing negative to say...incredible product and craftsmanship...IMO no other is comparible for the money. With respects to thier automotive division, I'm certain Yamaha had nothing to do with and has always resided in Sweden. Note: don't quote me on all my info...regardless, incredible product !

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I am pretty sure these one come from Sweden not Japan. The Sweden Ohlins are supposed to have the higher quality than the Japanese ones. Not all R&Ts however comes from Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #124
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseroller74 View Post
The Ohlins made in Japan , were strickly for thier Motorcycle and snowmobile division by Yamaha I understand that they purchased Ohlins. I'm under the impression its back in the hands of the Sweds..not entirely certain but heard they had some quality issues. Ive been using ohlins for the last 20yrs on my bikes and sleds and have absolutely nothing negative to say...incredible product and craftsmanship...IMO no other is comparible for the money. With respects to thier automotive division, I'm certain Yamaha had nothing to do with and has always resided in Sweden. Note: don't quote me on all my info...regardless, incredible product !

Cheers
As far as I know, most if not all automotive Ohlins come from Sweden.

All the engineers and technical staff I have met at Ohlins booth at SEMA are all based in Sweden with the exception of the US staff. And containers of automotive dampers are shipped from Swede, NOT Japan.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #125
Hoseroller74
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 DCT / ZCP

Totally agree with ya on the automotive side of things....however, when I was racing for Yamaha yrs ago I'm fairly certain Yamaha was the majority owner and may or may not have been manufacturing strictly for motorsports division. "1987 Yamaha Motor Europe N.V. became the majority owner of Ohlins Racing AB"

Automotive I can't comment on. However, despite the semantics..incredible product on my bikes and snowmobiles and now I'm really looking forward to trying them out on my M3...

Cheers mate

Quote:
As far as I know, most if not all automotive Ohlins come from Sweden.

All the engineers and technical staff I have met at Ohlins booth at SEMA are all based in Sweden with the exception of the US staff. And containers of automotive dampers are shipped from Swede, NOT Japan.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #126
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Anyone have a good starting point for the clickers at Chuckwalla? This is only my 3rd track day with the M and first with the Ohlins so I'm not sure where to start..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:35 AM   #127
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Anyone have a good starting point for the clickers at Chuckwalla? This is only my 3rd track day with the M and first with the Ohlins so I'm not sure where to start..
20-25 clicks from full soft to start.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #128
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
20-25 clicks from full soft to start.
i believe the R&T adjustments are meant to be set from HARD to SOFT. ie turn clockwise all the way (FULL HARD, setting = 0)

From there turn counter clockwise number of clicks to get your desired setting

recommended setup:
Track 0-7 clicks
Winding road 5-10 clicks
Street 10-20 clicks

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...MI_BMSMI40.pdf
      03-17-2014, 03:16 AM   #129
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
5 clicks from full hard.
      03-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #130
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
i believe the R&T adjustments are meant to be set from HARD to SOFT. ie turn clockwise all the way (FULL HARD, setting = 0)

From there turn counter clockwise number of clicks to get your desired setting

recommended setup:
Track 0-7 clicks
Winding road 5-10 clicks
Street 10-20 clicks

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...MI_BMSMI40.pdf
Just a different way to look at it. It's still the same adjustment range for track use.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #131
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

Damper settings are referred to as clicks from closed (full hard). While I'm at it I should also add never run with valving fully closed, always back off at least one click.

Last edited by Yaw; 03-18-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #132
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Just a different way to look at it. It's still the same adjustment range for track use.
with the Ohlins r&T when adjusting the front ride height we have to unbolt what screw? any pictures or a video showing how we are able to make the adjustment

replacing my kw sleeve for Ohlins soon just want to make sure.
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0