BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #111
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
So rest of the line with be a 4 series, but the M version will be call the M3?

Who is running BMW now? Seemed like BMW used to be run by engineers? Anyone remember when the car model used to say everything about the car. I have a 320i beater, wanna guess what engine is in there? yeah, a 2.0L I6.

So the next M3 will be off based off the 4 series, sounds massively confusing...
I agree it makes no sense at all. Either call it M4 or call them all 3-series.

But is Scott saying that the 3 coupe will remain a 3, the touring and gran coupe are 4?

Then there will be an M3 coupe and M4 touring and g-coupe. This would almost make sense, but it defeats BMWs efforts to make the gran coupe as sporty as the coupe version.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #112
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
M3 will remain.

Despite the Coupe , Cabrio and Gran Coupe being renamed 4er.
The key is Individuality. M3 is not just a faster 3er it is a totally different car , drives differently and does not even have the same drivetrain.
sorry for the double post but I can't not comment on this:

M3 is not just a faster 3er it is a totally different car , drives differently and does not even have the same drivetrain.

So what BMW is thinking is that placing the M badge infront of the chrome 3 doesn't do enough to establish it as its own entity? And the past 30 years of doing this were unsuccessful.

Since the performance of the next M3 won't speak for itself BMW decided that naming the car the M3 resembles so closely a 4-series? Brilliant.

It I am somehow wrong correct me, otherwise Scott, please make phone calls, wave flags, pull fire alarms, do whatever to get this nonsense fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #113
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
sorry for the double post but I can't not comment on this:

M3 is not just a faster 3er it is a totally different car , drives differently and does not even have the same drivetrain.

So what BMW is thinking is that placing the M badge infront of the chrome 3 doesn't do enough to establish it as its own entity? And the past 30 years of doing this were unsuccessful.

Since the performance of the next M3 won't speak for itself BMW decided that naming the car the M3 resembles so closely a 4-series? Brilliant.

It I am somehow wrong correct me, otherwise Scott, please make phone calls, wave flags, pull fire alarms, do whatever to get this nonsense fixed.

its not going to happen until people stop buying these cars. I would love to be a loyal customer for years down the road, Return back to germany every couple of years for ED, I know I could justifiy that to the wife...but it won't happen. I thought the ///M badging on the current lineup was bad enough now, it looks lke it is going to get retated in the next couple years. Thats fine with me, I'll have the ///M that I like, and I will just become a loyal customer to another brand....GT3????
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #114
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

ppl are paying with their wallets with other brands, M has to follow guys as much as we hate it, it's a business after all
      05-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #115
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
So the sedan is replaced by the Gran Coupe?
so the door sedan is replaced by the 4 door grand coupe/
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #116
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
ppl are paying with their wallets with other brands, M has to follow guys as much as we hate it, it's a business after all
Are you referring to other brands or just the other two German manufacturers? If you're comparing BMW to Mercedes and Audi, with it's current lineup doesn't BMW outsell Mercedes and Audi?

If you're saying that people are now considering other brands like Infiniti or Lexus, fine but how does introducing more models (2-series, 4-series) going to help that? The way I look at it is regardless of what BMW introduces, it'll only benefit those who are actually looking in purchasing a BMW because whatever BMW releases whether it be a 2-series or 4-series, it'll always be overpriced vs. the competition so at the end, people will still consider other brands.

With all the new models BMW is planning, it's just them wanting more sales and not necessarily in response to what others are doing because even with their current lineup, their sales are solid and growing with each quarter. At the end, whether it be a BMW, Mercedes or Audi, there's always going to be a premium being paid and regardless of what BMW comes out with, there will always be a premium being paid over a competing model so you're sort of back to square one.

Just my 0.02.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #117
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Think A6 v A7 in Audi parlance or E v CLS for Mercedes. A four door "coupe". As somebody mentioned, it will allow BMW to charge a premium over an "ordinary" sedan.

Somehow my original post got deleted but when Scott mentions "groundbreaking" engine for the F3x, it sounds like the tri-turbo option was selected. InsideLine is apparently saying otherwise.
A7 is more like a GT than a gran coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #118
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Seemed like BMW used to be run by engineers?
i think you hit the nail on the head right there
it used to be run by enginners, now it's run by marketing people
who "think" they know whats best based on their "focus groups"
      05-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #119
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i think you hit the nail on the head right there
it used to be run by enginners, now it's run by marketing people
who "think" they know whats best based on their "focus groups"
hahaha, as an engineer this post hits home. I am not completely convinced that BMW has taken a turn for the worst. My faith lies in the recent success of the 1M and future plans of the i3 and i8, but I am not trying to start any debate on those matters...

But as you suggested, it does seem a group of marketing people could change an organization in the direction BMW seems to be going.

It might seem that we are pulling hairs over nothing, but honestly a series of illogical decisions seems very telling.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #120
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Oh dear, sedan had been replaced by Gran Coupe..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #121
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I just want a M5 touring...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #122
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
yes, choice is always a bad thing
No, only sometimes...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #123
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
hahaha, as an engineer this post hits home. I am not completely convinced that BMW has taken a turn for the worst. My faith lies in the recent success of the 1M and future plans of the i3 and i8, but I am not trying to start any debate on those matters...

But as you suggested, it does seem a group of marketing people could change an organization in the direction BMW seems to be going.

It might seem that we are pulling hairs over nothing, but honestly a series of illogical decisions seems very telling.
Yeah I thought so, I am a mechanical engineer according to my school...not by my job, however that "was" the great thing about ///M for me. As a hardcore Oberfranken "Fan", which is in Bayern, I think my next car will be a Porsche...started talking to the wife about that one
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #124
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

might as well. keep destroying the m brand
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #125
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
[/B]

its not going to happen until people stop buying these cars. I would love to be a loyal customer for years down the road, Return back to germany every couple of years for ED, I know I could justifiy that to the wife...but it won't happen. I thought the ///M badging on the current lineup was bad enough now, it looks lke it is going to get retated in the next couple years. Thats fine with me, I'll have the ///M that I like, and I will just become a loyal customer to another brand....GT3????
I already have plans of leaving the brand for my next car purchase. I am on the 5th bimmer. I no longer feel loyal to a brand, that is not loyal to hardcore fans.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #126
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Quote:
[/B]

I already have plans of leaving the brand for my next car purchase. I am on the 5th bimmer. I no longer feel loyal to a brand, that is not loyal to hardcore fans.
And you would buy what instead? Audi Porsche Mercedes?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #127
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

So, this is great news I wasn't sure how much more BMW could water down the ///M brand, but god bless them, they found a way.......

WTF.............

Even Audi has not whored out their RS-Line OR their S-Line the way BMW is whoring out the ///M line.

The aura, prestige, soul and heart of the ///M division is OFFICIALLY DEAD......

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.

Last edited by e46e92love; 05-26-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #128
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

fixed for ya..

and more M the merrier..
As long as all of them live up to M name, I dont see how offering many flavors is a bad thing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
The M3 Touring - 2015

This should come to NA!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #129
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
So, this is great news I wasn't sure how much more BMW could water down the ///M brand, but god bless them, they found a way.......

WTF.............

Even Audi has not whored out their RS-Line OR their S-Line the way BMW is whoring out the ///M line.

The aura, prestige, soul and heart of the ///M division is OFFICIALLY DEAD......

Cheers,
e46e92
why so much distress?

I can see three possible compaints:

(1) M badges on SUVs
(2) M badges on Wagons
(3) Gran Coupe instead of sedan

but I dont see the issue with any of these

(1) M SUVs are pretty fun and look hot
(2) There have been M wagons before no? Werent there at the e46 timeline?
(3) Gran coupe will probably be sportier than sedan, but likely more $$ is true

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #130
Ender's Game
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP + 2 car seats

Enthusiasts come in all shapes,sizes, and needs in a car. I am happy to see a four door variant of the next m3 and hopefully a touring version make it to the US. At least it will keep BMW in the conversation when I do buy my next car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #131
Jaylyons1
Private
Rep
Drives: R32 GT-R/'16 IS300/Project TBD

I am happy to see that there will still be a 4 door variant but, to me, the current gen looks way better...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #132
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
why so much distress?

I can see three possible compaints:

(1) M badges on SUVs
(2) M badges on Wagons
(3) Gran Coupe instead of sedan

but I dont see the issue with any of these

(1) M SUVs are pretty fun and look hot
(2) There have been M wagons before no? Werent there at the e46 timeline?
(3) Gran coupe will probably be sportier than sedan, but likely more $$ is true

You will never understand where I am coming from.......and that is ok. But if you are confused and think ///M SUV's are fun and look hot, then you and I will absolutely never see eye-to-eye.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0