BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

11-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
HoOdRiCh///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue E92 M3

H&R PCS (DAMPER ADJUSTABLE) Coilover kit (NEW AND AFFORDABLE)

I found these on tirerack.com to for $1690.00. It lowers the car about the same as KW V3's and compression and rebound is fully adjustable (single adjustable). I was wondering if anyone had these or has tried these. It looks like a more affordable route and they have improved features from their last coilover kit. Please comment on these, I believe it would be very useful for people when looking for coilovers. PLAY NICE!!!!!

Here are a few websites that carry them:

"http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=PCS+Damper+Adj.+Co il-Over&group=PCS+Damper+Adj.+Coil-Over&partNum=32039.1&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=M3+Cou pe&autoYear=2009&autoModClar="

"http://shop.achtuning.com/hr-32039-1-pcs-street-coilover-kit-bmw-e92-m3.aspx"

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I wouldn't base the quality of a coilover kit based on how much height adjustment it has nor that it has a single adjuster that varies both rebound and compression damping (not what I'd consider fully adjustable). H&R kits have never been great and based on the brief description of this kit I doubt it is significantly better - stating it's been engineered for the street sounds like that means it's been heavily compromised and if used on the track I bet it wouldn't survive a 20 minute session without "foaming". You get what you pay for...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I wouldn't base the quality of a coilover kit based on how much height adjustment it has nor that it has a single adjuster that varies both rebound and compression damping (not what I'd consider fully adjustable). H&R kits have never been great and based on the brief description of this kit I doubt it is significantly better - stating it's been engineered for the street sounds like that means it's been heavily compromised and if used on the track I bet it wouldn't survive a 20 minute session without "foaming". You get what you pay for...
I'm sorry but it's so annoying when people like you who have no experience with the product whatsoever say things like that just from hearsay and spread misinformation or misguided ideas. Let me guess you never had H&R coilovers. You just 'heard' or read it online, from someone else who also never had H&R coilovers and read it from someone else, and was spreading misinformation himself just like you

Now about the "engineered for the streets" part; isn't that what most of us want? Pretty sure we are not talking about dedicated track cars here.

"Engineered for the streets" is the manufacturer's way of telling us that this specific kit can be daily driven, won't clunk, and so on.

Also for the record I have countless track days on my E46's KW kit that was -you guessed it- engineered for the streets and on the "ring". Sure everyone and their mom was swearing (and still is) by more track oriented brand. Truth is my kit was absolutely flawless and performed great for what it was and never gave me any issues after countless track and street miles.

And it's unecessary to make H&R sounds like it's some made in china raceland crap. These are still German made under ISO and TUV standards. Just not the most popular brand and it's the trend to bash them.

The only thing I can see giving H&R a bad rep (other than the hordes of forum people spreading misinformation) is their rear spring perch design seen on the E46 M3 or Z4M. They just broke. This new kit has a revised rear spring perch design (a la KW) so there is really no ground to criticize it.

To the 20min session without foaming comment: I actually tracked a Z4M with the most basic street perf H&R setup. Had no dampening adjustment but WTH, we got it for barely $700! It performed flawlessly all day long (open track day no session) at Willow Springs.

Anyhow... sorry for the rant. But here's an unbiased and objective opinion for a change:

I think those coilovers should be a great bang for the buck in the E9x world. Great for people who don't want to shell out 2-4k yet don't want to be stuck riding stock or mismatched lowering springs/ shocks/struts setups. I'd probably expect those to be similar to a KW V2 setup. Minus the inox strut/shock bodies.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
I'm sorry but it's so annoying when people like you who have no experience with the product whatsoever say things like that just from hearsay and spread misinformation or misguided ideas. Let me guess you never had H&R coilovers. You just 'heard' or read it online, from someone else who also never had H&R coilovers and read it from someone else, and was spreading misinformation himself just like you

Now about the "engineered for the streets" part; isn't that what most of us want? Pretty sure we are not talking about dedicated track cars here.

"Engineered for the streets" is the manufacturer's way of telling us that this specific kit can be daily driven, won't clunk, and so on.

Also for the record I have countless track days on my E46's KW kit that was -you guessed it- engineered for the streets and on the "ring". Sure everyone and their mom was swearing (and still is) by more track oriented brand. Truth is my kit was absolutely flawless and performed great for what it was and never gave me any issues after countless track and street miles.

And it's unecessary to make H&R sounds like it's some made in china raceland crap. These are still German made under ISO and TUV standards. Just not the most popular brand and it's the trend to bash them.

The only thing I can see giving H&R a bad rep (other than the hordes of forum people spreading misinformation) is their rear spring perch design seen on the E46 M3 or Z4M. They just broke. This new kit has a revised rear spring perch design (a la KW) so there is really no ground to criticize it.

To the 20min session without foaming comment: I actually tracked a Z4M with the most basic street perf H&R setup. Had no dampening adjustment but WTH, we got it for barely $700! It performed flawlessly all day long (open track day no session) at Willow Springs.

Anyhow... sorry for the rant. But here's an unbiased and objective opinion for a change:

I think those coilovers should be a great bang for the buck in the E9x world. Great for people who don't want to shell out 2-4k yet don't want to be stuck riding stock or mismatched lowering springs/ shocks/struts setups. I'd probably expect those to be similar to a KW V2 setup. Minus the inox strut/shock bodies.

Cheers!
You have no idea what my experience base is yet you sure had no trouble attacking me. It sounds like you have zero experience with H&R and somehow it's ok for you to extrapolate from your kw "street" kit to H&R so how is that any different from my comments? Oh, BTW, I do have previous experience with H&R (not on the e92 m3) and will NEVER buy another H&R product because it was, IMO, junk - is that better for you?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
HoOdRiCh///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Not trying to do any bashing on my own but, he obviously has used or driven a car with H&R coilovers. I must say though that it is funny when people do actually bash a thread and don't give an serious input. I didn't post a thread so people can bash it, I posted it cause maybe its a new product that nobody has tried. I actually wanted some helpful input not a 14 year old stating 3 sentences without contributing any factual input (oops sorry you gotta be 16 to drive sorry, I meant 16)

If anyone has actually driven with these coilovers on your car I would love to have your opinion.

I almost got from a tard with no information
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

At least I know the difference between damping and dampening...and I'm not even 16 yet
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
HoOdRiCh///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At least I am not afraid to admit I'm new and I don't know too much!!!!

It's more respectable than acting like you know something!!!!

Being doesn't help anyone, Now lets please get back on topic!!!

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
HoOdRiCh///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And if you know the difference between the two then spill, it will be more helpful than the garbage you have already contributed!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I had a set of H&R Non-dampening adjustable "Street Performance" coilovers on my 2008 Evo and it was crap.

The shock shaft had play and clunked everywhere after 3 months of steet driving. You could literally grab the shock with your hand with the wheel off and move it back and forth. They were solid brand new but wore out in 3 months!?

I thought it might be a fluke so I warrantied it... which took 1 month to process. Then the next set started doing the same thing after a couple of months... I warrantied it again and sold it. So much for German manufactured Bilstein shocks.

But who knows? Maybe the BMW shocks are better made.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoOdRiCh///M3 View Post
And if you know the difference between the two then spill, it will be more helpful than the garbage you have already contributed!!!!
Damping - is a dissipative force proportional to piston velocity which removes energy from a vibrating/oscillatory system, such as a spring on a car

Dampening - to make wet

I had a set of H&R coilovers on my s2000 and my experience was similar to ZK's experience. This kit could barely last 15 minutes on a track without overheating (foaming) and, even worse, they'd overheat on the street (mountains of WV). I also had significant free play in the piston shaft but in my case the top cap of the damper eventually loosened and I ended up with damper fluid completely coating the inside of the wheel well and all over the underside of the car. H&R coilovers are junk.

My original response was "garbage" because you had specifically asked for comments on the e9x M3 kit and its description, not on the performance of other H&R kits. You have no idea what my background is yet you continue to berate and belittle me. Good luck with your search for an inexpensive coilover kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I had H&R coilovers on my E93 and they were fantastic. Rode well, and performed well. They were not a track oriented damper but they did fine on the track, no issues.

Bilstein shocks tend to be very high quality. they have had some serious mistakes, they're definitely not perfect. The e46 M3 kit sucked.

I have run 3 sets of PSS9s on my various s2000s, 2 of them custom valved. (it's seriously cheap, like $80 a shock to get them revalved at bilstein) I ran PSS9s on my 335i, H&R coilovers on my E36 M3, and PSS9s on my E46 M3. The PSS9s on the M3 sucked, they were too soft and bottomed out. The other setups were fantastic.

I have over 80k miles on 5 s2000s with every suspension imaginable, from Moton to JRZ and Penske, along with cheap crap, the BorChann and Megan racing stuff. H&R is *not* crap.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
EliseRR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSP R35, SS 987 GT4, C63 Vert

I bought the HR from kitw. It's been 1k miles. I love it. I am not planning to take the car to track so street driving is my focus. It handles 10 times better than OEM. I was afraid of losing that high speed neutral handling feeling before swap. The car actually sits a lot better now.
I was once an autocross whore 30-40 events a year for 5 years so I think I know what I am talking about. Unless there is a long term quality issue which I cannot tell now. HR is not bad at all for street.

[QUOTE=kitw;11021871]I had H
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
EliseRR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSP R35, SS 987 GT4, C63 Vert

Turner Motorsport has special price for the kit I have now: $899.95 free shipping

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...clearance.aspx
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
HoOdRiCh///M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for your comments!!! much appreciated. looks like there is some good and bad reviews of this product. I still think it has a shot for the daily street driven who doesn't need $4k coilovers :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
You have no idea what my experience base is yet you sure had no trouble attacking me. It sounds like you have zero experience with H&R and somehow it's ok for you to extrapolate from your kw "street" kit to H&R so how is that any different from my comments? Oh, BTW, I do have previous experience with H&R (not on the e92 m3) and will NEVER buy another H&R product because it was, IMO, junk - is that better for you?
Kaiv is a frequent track/street junkie and would take his opinion as spot on most of the time. He has had a bunch of suspensions, including H&R, so have I. I have been through Moton, Aragosta, Top Secret, HKS, Ohlins, H&R, Bilstein, to name a few and for daily driving and commuting H&R is not junk. They actually hold their own in that respect and are perfectly fine for the average driver, which is 90% of drivers on the road, including you and I.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck with H&R but not everyone has had that type of luck. In fact most of us have had little to no issues at all with their setups.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your comments!!! much appreciated. looks like there is some good and bad reviews of this product. I still think it has a shot for the daily street driven who doesn't need $4k coilovers :-)
You will be fine. I am going to pick up this setup and a new gun in a few weeks..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
Kaiv is a frequent track/street junkie and would take his opinion as spot on most of the time. He has had a bunch of suspensions, including H&R, so have I. I have been through Moton, Aragosta, Top Secret, HKS, Ohlins, H&R, Bilstein, to name a few and for daily driving and commuting H&R is not junk. They actually hold their own in that respect and are perfectly fine for the average driver, which is 90% of drivers on the road, including you and I.

Sorry to hear you have had bad luck with H&R but not everyone has had that type of luck. In fact most of us have had little to no issues at all with their setups.
I'm glad to hear you've had excellent luck with H&R; however, I have not and I stated my opinion, although it's been quite a while since I've used their products - perhaps they've addressed their design and workmanship issues since then? You actually have no idea what my background is so please don't assign me to a specfic group of drivers. I hope you and any other e9x M3 owners that select H&R continue to have success with their products
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #18
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post

That is great you had a good experience with them but I went through two sets of H&R coilovers and they both had piston free play after 3 months of street driving. 1 set, okay, maybe it's a fluke but 2 sets both went bad within the same time frame? You really have to wonder about their build quality if shocks are going bad after 4000 miles of street driving.

Their customer service was terrible as well. It took 1 month to warranty a shock each time. The first H&R rep I spoke to on the phone told me it was impossible and their shocks are bulletproof. I told him, hey I got an example of the "impossible" right here. After I mailed it to him, no word out of him anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #19
ee8
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.40]
H&R is a top brand involved in the highest forms of racing for more then a few decades... of course they have different lines to cater to the specif needs of individuals and their purpose.

I have driven on various cars of mine, for more then 20 years, H&R springs, street-coilovers and custom race coilovers and I never had any issues whatsoever... ever.

You canīt go wrong with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #20
SuperTech504
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
I know for a fact the e46 H
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #21
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

There customer service blows. I got a complete asshole on the phone when I called. We prolly had the same guy bc the word bullet proof was used
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

There customer service blows. I got a complete asshole on the phone when I called. We prolly had the same guy bc the word bullet proof was used
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0