BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-26-2024, 05:20 PM   #1
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Enabling M Mode w/o iDrive

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey team - picked up a car that had been gutted and is now full “race car”. The iDrive is gone and the OEM steering wheel is gone.

My question is how do I navigate and turn on M Mode without iDrive, as well as adjust other settings?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 06:32 PM   #2
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

There are racing steering wheels with a MDrive button. Will need a clockspring with MDrive capability if the car never had it from factory, search the forum for that.

You might have to talk to one of the coders here, especially if the car didn’t have it stock. Hit up SaNGRia for coding.

Coders can help you pick the specific settings you want, but they will be hard coded in without iDrive.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00
      01-26-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostynorth View Post
There are racing steering wheels with a MDrive button. Will need a clockspring with MDrive capability if the car never had it from factory, search the forum for that.

You might have to talk to one of the coders here, especially if the car didn’t have it stock. Hit up SaNGRia for coding.

Coders can help you pick the specific settings you want, but they will be hard coded in without iDrive.
I have a KMP that I can wire up as the M button.

SaNGRia can you code in settings?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 01:37 AM   #4
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

If the car was single hump non-idrive you will need a steering column module from a car that had M-Drive to begin with.

Then you can code in M-Drive into the Vehicle Order and program the settings without i-Drive as if you were driving a GTS car.

As long as you can make one of the buttons on the KMP wheel M, then you can save the settings. Holding down the M button longer for 3 seconds saves the last known settings.

You will still need the power and traction button if I recall correctly.

I've coded it on my single hump M3 before I converted it into an Extended Double.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 07:45 AM   #5
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
If the car was single hump non-idrive you will need a steering column module from a car that had M-Drive to begin with.

Then you can code in M-Drive into the Vehicle Order and program the settings without i-Drive as if you were driving a GTS car.

As long as you can make one of the buttons on the KMP wheel M, then you can save the settings. Holding down the M button longer for 3 seconds saves the last known settings.

You will still need the power and traction button if I recall correctly.

I've coded it on my single hump M3 before I converted it into an Extended Double.
The car was a double hump originally but the iDrive unit has been completely removed.

How does that help / hurt what I need to do?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:09 AM   #6
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
I'm sorry this is slightly off topic but is there a way to engage MDM without going into M mode? With the traction control button, it's either fully on or dsc off. I can't just press it for MDM like I do in my F87
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:26 AM   #7
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
I'm sorry this is slightly off topic but is there a way to engage MDM without going into M mode? With the traction control button, it's either fully on or dsc off. I can't just press it for MDM like I do in my F87
I’d be interested in that as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerunt View Post
The car was a double hump originally but the iDrive unit has been completely removed.

How does that help / hurt what I need to do?
You don't need the idrive unit, the settings are all programmed into the steering column module and the M button on the steering wheel. So if the KMP button can be programmed to be an M button then you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post

No.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:57 PM   #9
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Quote:
No.
Very much appreciated. What ever the previous owners M settings were would also be recalled in that instance then, correct?

Do you know off hand what color wires the M button are at the steering column / wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 11:19 AM   #10
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
You don't need the idrive unit, the settings are all programmed into the steering column module and the M button on the steering wheel. So if the KMP button can be programmed to be an M button then you'll be fine.
Technically the M Drive settings are all stored in the DME. The correct steering column (SZL) is just needed to send the CAN packet indicating the M button presses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerunt View Post
Very much appreciated. What ever the previous owners M settings were would also be recalled in that instance then, correct?

Do you know off hand what color wires the M button are at the steering column / wheel?
The M button presses are transmitted on the K-CAN (and PT-CAN via JBBF) The button itself does not have an individual wire.
Appreciate 0