BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Thumbs down Issue with HAWK HP+ (Or all HAWKS)

Look at these two images and look for the difference.

HAWK HP+ (As well as all Hawk pads).
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/451420_x600.jpg

OEM
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/255182_x600.jpg

Notice how at the tops tops of the bad the OEM, and EBC (Only two pads I have tried) had a metal block to fill the void on the rear Caliper... Well I though maybe I had replaced my brakes wrong, or forgot to put the metal "X" clip on correctly. It wasn't till I found my old pads and cross examined them that I realized that the hawks don't have the metal squares at the top where the holes are.

The issue with not having these metal void filling thingies is that get enough movement in the pads to cause a metallic clank. This "clank" will happen when your inertia is moved forward to backwards.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue... Its pretty annoying, on top of the already annoying train stopping sound the HP+s make. I knew it was a track pad, but had no idea lol...

10-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
JB007
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW135i MSport 6 Speed

First, you really should not use HP+ for the street.

As for the fitting, it's normal. I had the same clunk (pad mouvement) on my 2008 Speed 3 with of the Hawk pads (HPS for street, DTC60 for track).
2013 BMW 135i MSport Edition, Alpine White, 6 speed manual, Coral Red leather, Sound Package, Premium Package, Alarm, BMW Perf black kidneys, Tint (20%rear, 50% sides), XPel Ultimate full front end and side skirts, H8 PIAA Plasma Ion yellow bulbs
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

Yeah I think im about to switch to a completely different brand and try to sell these since they have less than 100 miles on them. Sucks taking the loss.
      10-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Regarding the noise, I have had two completely different experiences with the same set of HP+ on the same car. The first time I put the HP+ on my RSX, they made a horrible gravel and squeak kind of racket, and the pedal felt like the pads were grinding away my rotors. No amount of bedding in seemed to help so I made up my mind it was a track-only pad.

Fast forward a few months, I put the HP+ back on the same car, same rotors, and took it to the track. For whatever reason, the noise wasn't as bad driving to the track, the gravel feeling wasn't there anymore, and after the track day, they didn't make any noise at all.

I wish I could say what the difference was. Maybe turning the rotors and really being sure you get a good bed-in done is key. Or maybe there's just something about that pad surface that gets better as it wears down. All I know is after the first scenario I would have never gotten HP+s again, and after the 2nd I absolutely loved them. Didn't even need to take them off for the street they were so quiet (albeit they were still dusty).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Would anyone recommend HP+ for the track and HPS for the street? Or just HP+ for the track and street? I'm looking to upgrade pads and I am unsure of which way I should go!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

I bought HPS for my car and didn't like it at all... the damn thing was too thick even with a new disc!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Would anyone recommend HP+ for the track and HPS for the street? Or just HP+ for the track and street? I'm looking to upgrade pads and I am unsure of which way I should go!
I ran HP+ for autocross and track and now will not be using them anymore for the track.

I picked up some PFC06s for replacement track pads.

They just inspired no confidence at all on the track. I didn't feel comfortable braking deep and usually starting braking at 500 board on the back straight at mid-ohio going ~135mph

Toward the end of the sessions I could tell they were starting to fade. The massive smell of brake pads and ABS kicking in towards the end of the braking zone was a good enough indication that they shouldn't use anymore track use.

Kinda hard to tell, but in this session you can see my trying to go a bit deeper in the braking zone and the brakes just not stopping the car

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I ran HP+ for autocross and track and now will not be using them anymore for the track.

They just inspired no confidence at all on the track. I didn't feel comfortable braking deep and usually starting braking at 500 board on the back straight at mid-ohio going ~135mph

Toward the end of the sessions I could tell they were starting to fade. The massive smell of brake pads and ABS kicking in towards the end of the braking zone was a good enough indication that they shouldn't use anymore track use.

Kinda hard to tell, but in this session you can see my trying to go a bit deeper in the braking zone and the brakes just not stopping the car

Thanks for the response. I'm just hearing worse and worse about these pads! Could you possibly recommend a track/street pad? Or a dedicated race pad that I can swap out for street pads without swapping out rotors at the same time? I do want to track and it scares me that you were not confident in braking late in sessions.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I'm just hearing worse and worse about these pads! Could you possibly recommend a track/street pad? Or a dedicated race pad that I can swap out for street pads without swapping out rotors at the same time? I do want to track and it scares me that you were not confident in braking late in sessions.
If you stick within same company and their brake pads you won't have to worry about cross contamination.

I'd personally go with an endurance pad (like PFC 06s or 08s) and get Z-rated brake pads (also made by PFC) for street. Of course if you never hit the track, a full out track pad would not be the right way to start...

PFC is expensive, but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you stick within same company and their brake pads you won't have to worry about cross contamination.

I'd personally go with an endurance pad (like PFC 06s or 08s) and get Z-rated brake pads (also made by PFC) for street. Of course if you never hit the track, a full out track pad would not be the right way to start...

PFC is expensive, but well worth it.
Thanks for the recommendation. The z-rated pads says it's for severe duty applications and the regular carbon-metallic is for the street and everyday driving. Should I get the z-rated for the street/track or is it necessary to get the 06s for the track exclusively?

I don't know if what I'm asking makes sense. Hopefully it does lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. The z-rated pads says it's for severe duty applications and the regular carbon-metallic is for the street and everyday driving. Should I get the z-rated for the street/track or is it necessary to get the 06s for the track exclusively?

I don't know if what I'm asking makes sense. Hopefully it does lol.
It makes sense.

If it is your first couple track days, then Z-Rated pads may work the first couple sessions. But when you get faster...you'll want actual stopping power.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It makes sense.

If it is your first couple track days, then Z-Rated pads may work the first couple sessions. But when you get faster...you'll want actual stopping power.
Alright. That makes sense. Thank you for the input again. Also, do you know of anywhere that sells them for the 128i stock brakes? Or at the least do you know what the pad shape the 128i has? I'm struggling to find information. But if it's anything the same as the 328, its 394 front.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Alright. That makes sense. Thank you for the input again. Also, do you know of anywhere that sells them for the 128i stock brakes? Or at the least do you know what the pad shape the 128i has? I'm struggling to find information. But if it's anything the same as the 328, its 394 front.
I'm fairly certain there was a Group Buy for PFC pads awhile ago. I'd have to search through the forum but IIRC there aren't many models out there for 128 calipers
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm fairly certain there was a Group Buy for PFC pads awhile ago. I'd have to search through the forum but IIRC there aren't many models out there for 128 calipers
Yeah I was trying to search within the forums, the only thing I could find was the PFC BBK that GMP was selling.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Lone Patrone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

The Hawk HP+ pads are wonderful pads, but you have to keep in mind that they are best suited for the track. My experience has been that if you leave them on a street car for too long you will slightly glaze the top surface and lose some of the initial "bite" of the pad when you really step into it on track. My recommendation would be to keep the HP+ pads and swap them out for track duty. Remember to always steel wool your rotors and spray down with brake cleaner between pad swaps before bedding in a new pad so you can establish a good transfer layer.
Appreciate 0