BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
mdoughty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White M5

Proposal to determine winner of the tuner wars

Like all of you I've been following the 400whp thread with a mixture of interest and amusement. I'm pretty convinced that 400whp is not possible with bolt ons and tunes, but I do feel that threshold is attainable with schrick cams in addition to the standard bolt ons. Are there any of the tuners that frequent this forum capable of proving a tune for the 2 versions of the cams on the stock dme? To my way of thinking this would be an excellent way to differentiate between those who know the s65, and those who are good marketers.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Are you planning to fund this adventure?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
mdoughty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ
Are you planning to fund this adventure?
I'd buy and install the cams in a New York minute if I thought there were solid tuning options.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would LOVE to see the results of someone installing cams on the S65B40 here in the States. Looking at your signature, have you asked Evolve Automotive if they can do it?

They are tuning a lot of cam'd S54B32s, S62B50s, and S85B50s. Granted all different motors and DMEs, they seem well versed in tuning next level modified NA motors.

Keep us posted on if you find any other tuners who have proper calibrations and solutions.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think 400 rwhp on a Dynojet in SAE is obtainable from a stock block S65 in an E9xM3 with bolt on mods short of cams, and a tune. Two such results have already been posted. EAS posted a dyno of one car, making 403 rwhp and Mike Benvo posted a dyno of his car, making 402 rwhp.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
mdoughty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3
I would LOVE to see the results of someone installing cams on the S65B40 here in the States. Looking at your signature, have you asked Evolve Automotive if they can do it?

They are tuning a lot of cam'd S54B32s, S62B50s, and S85B50s. Granted all different motors and DMEs, they seem well versed in tuning next level modified NA motors.

Keep us posted on if you find any other tuners who have proper calibrations and solutions.
There is an old thread on here somewhere from a guy in Europe who at one time had the 60-130 record (10.4 if I remember correctly). I'd love to get some more feed back from the guy. I'll shoot sal a message when I send my original file for the 240e update.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
mdoughty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb
I think 400 rwhp on a Dynojet in SAE is obtainable from a stock block S65 in an E9xM3 with bolt on mods short of cams, and a tune. Two such results have already been posted. EAS posted a dyno of one car, making 403 rwhp and Mike Benvo posted a dyno of his car, making 402 rwhp.
Benvo's was on a hub dyno if I remember correctly. I'm curious if the other was on race gas.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoughty View Post
Benvo's was on a hub dyno if I remember correctly. I'm curious if the other was on race gas.
No, I posted that Benvo posted a Dynojet SAE dyno at 402 rwhp. I commented on it right after he posted it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I'd buy and install the cams in a New York minute if I thought there were solid tuning options.
Not talking about the cam. Talking about the expense of creating the tune
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

There are some UK guys that already have maps for cams....starts with an E and I talked to them this week. Got to make you work for it some
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Any competent tuner should be able to tune the car for different camshafts on the dyno.

Pretty easy - only 4 vanos maps. Inlet cam warm and cold, and exhaust cam warm and cold. You can change the scaling on the axis if you need more definition in certain areas. The camshaft maps are in targeted degrees, so you can designate where you want the cam to move based on RPM and load.

Tuned an RDSport stroker a couple months ago and the owner couldn't believe the difference after driving the car.

I think this whole tuner war idea is stupid personally. As I've said a million times before, chasing numbers is a waste of time. Comparing dynos is a waste of time. Looking at DELTAS on the SAME car is the only measure of value.

You might have a car make 400whp on one dyno and 350whp on another. There are simply too many variables at play. Dyno operators can also skew results in their favor, which is why I ALWAYS use a third party to run the dyno, and have no involvement myself.

You can make a dyno queen that will make more power by desensitizing knock sensors and a few other tricks. Will the power stay there? No.

So who wins the war? The car that puts down 400whp on the dyno and a week later makes less than stock? Or the car that does 385whp consistently and reliably over long periods of time? Too much focus on pure numbers instead of delta gains. Too much focus on numbers instead of smoothness and drivability. Too much focus on WOT when you spend 90% of the time driving in part throttle. Tuning this DME is not rocket science, it's a matter of having the factory information and knowing what to do with it. I bet most tuners don't have some of the factory information that I do.

All I care is that all of my customers are happy, and I can say without a doubt that I haven't had a single complaint. I've retuned cars with various other software time and time again with nothing but positive results.

I still need to post in that 400whp thread when I have time to address a few comments in there. But for now I'm going to enjoy my last night in Las Vegas and get to that when I return to LA.

Stop wasting your time chasing numbers. It makes zero sense. Enjoy your car and your mods instead, whichever tuner you decide to go with.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
uplusd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
mdoughty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Any competent tuner should be able to tune the car for different camshafts on the dyno.

Pretty easy - only 4 vanos maps. Inlet cam warm and cold, and exhaust cam warm and cold. You can change the scaling on the axis if you need more definition in certain areas. The camshaft maps are in targeted degrees, so you can designate where you want the cam to move based on RPM and load.

Tuned an RDSport stroker a couple months ago and the owner couldn't believe the difference after driving the car.

I think this whole tuner war idea is stupid personally. As I've said a million times before, chasing numbers is a waste of time. Comparing dynos is a waste of time. Looking at DELTAS on the SAME car is the only measure of value.

You might have a car make 400whp on one dyno and 350whp on another. There are simply too many variables at play. Dyno operators can also skew results in their favor, which is why I ALWAYS use a third party to run the dyno, and have no involvement myself.

You can make a dyno queen that will make more power by desensitizing knock sensors and a few other tricks. Will the power stay there? No.

So who wins the war? The car that puts down 400whp on the dyno and a week later makes less than stock? Or the car that does 385whp consistently and reliably over long periods of time? Too much focus on pure numbers instead of delta gains. Too much focus on numbers instead of smoothness and drivability. Too much focus on WOT when you spend 90% of the time driving in part throttle. Tuning this DME is not rocket science, it's a matter of having the factory information and knowing what to do with it. I bet most tuners don't have some of the factory information that I do.

All I care is that all of my customers are happy, and I can say without a doubt that I haven't had a single complaint. I've retuned cars with various other software time and time again with nothing but positive results.

I still need to post in that 400whp thread when I have time to address a few comments in there. But for now I'm going to enjoy my last night in Las Vegas and get to that when I return to LA.

Stop wasting your time chasing numbers. It makes zero sense. Enjoy your car and your mods instead, whichever tuner you decide to go with.
Enjoy your last night in Vegas! If I was chasing numbers I'd bolt on a supercharger and be done with it. I'm chasing an aesthetic, staying all motor and squeezing what I can while not throwing a rod. I worded that title to illicit some tuner responses on a topic that has been rarely discussed. Does the rd sport motor have cams? I didn't think either stroker had headwork done.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There is an old thread on here somewhere from a guy in Europe who at one time had the 60-130 record (10.4 if I remember correctly). I'd love to get some more feed back from the guy. I'll shoot sal a message when I send my original file for the 240e update.
Yeah, there was a forum member here. I have tried PMing him a long time ago to see how his build was, but never heard back from him.

Definitely keep us posted on what Sal@Evolve says. I'd be curious to hear his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raucky2000 View Post
There are some UK guys that already have maps for cams....starts with an E and I talked to them this week. Got to make you work for it some
Haha...curious who you are referring to.

All I know is that Evolve Automotive from the UK will be tuning my Schrick 288/280 Cam'd S54B32, hopefully by Spring time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

I could not agree anymore! Well said Mike.

I totally forgot that you tuned a RD Sport Stroker Motor! Please share details either through PM or another thread! This message forum needs more information on monster NA builds instead of the boosted stuff, haha.

Please install cams on your beautiful E90 M3! It would be nice to see a change of pace around here.

Enjoy your last night in Vegas and stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

This post is well..... Perfect!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
All I know is that Evolve Automotive from the UK will be tuning my Schrick 288/280 Cam'd S54B32, hopefully by Spring time!

I could not agree anymore! Well said Mike.

I totally forgot that you tuned a RD Sport Stroker Motor! Please share details either through PM or another thread! This message forum needs more information on monster NA builds instead of the boosted stuff, haha.

Please install cams on your beautiful E90 M3! It would be nice to see a change of pace around here.

Enjoy your last night in Vegas and stay safe!
Really looking forward to this. Based off my experience with the E60 M5, there is undoubtedly room on the table for an S65 with cams + proper tuning.

I'm really considering them for my car too.. but for now, I have about 48K on the clock and full warranty + maintenance until April of 2014. I can't justify pulling the motor apart until I'm in the warranty free zone.

I had custom FI cams made by Schrick for my supercharged 330 and it made a gigantic difference. My Turbo 7 series also has a custom camshaft for the GT35 BB turbo I'm running on it at 14 PSI. I can see cams in the future for the M3 too. I remember back in the day seeing great videos of E46 M3's with cams revving to 9,000 RPM.

I think we need to start a petition for 93+ octane gas here in CA. It's either have nice weather and 91, or not the best weather and 93. I guess you can't win every battle!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I think we need to start a petition for 93+ octane gas here in CA.
      01-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #18
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

A buddy of mine just got cams installed on his M3.Getting it tuned in the next couple of weeks and we gonna hit the Dyno. I will post results !
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
A buddy of mine just got cams installed on his M3.Getting it tuned in the next couple of weeks and we gonna hit the Dyno. I will post results !
Nice!!!!!!!!

Do you already have some baseline dyno data to compare to the cams and retune?

May I ask who will be doing the tuning?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice!!!!!!!!

Do you already have some baseline dyno data to compare to the cams and retune?

May I ask who will be doing the tuning?
I think we Dyno'd the car when he got it new,dont remember but ill confirm soon.
Aj will be tuning it since i dont trust anyone else.Not saying any others are bad but I have been dealing with Roman and Aj for a while and Aj is an excellent tuner and great person to deal with.
Will start a new thread with the results soon
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
I think we Dyno'd the car when he got it new,dont remember but ill confirm soon.
Aj will be tuning it since i dont trust anyone else.Not saying any others are bad but I have been dealing with Roman and Aj for a while and Aj is an excellent tuner and great person to deal with.
Will start a new thread with the results soon
Sounds great to me!

I have been waiting for who knows how long for someone to post some dynos with cams.

Best of luck to you all. I'm sure it will turn out great. Knowing how you collect all your data and write threads, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great to me!

I have been waiting for who knows how long for someone to post some dynos with cams.

Best of luck to you all. I'm sure it will turn out great. Knowing how you collect all your data and write threads, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Thank You Sir,It should be interesting
May be i will do cams soon too to get a little more power
Appreciate 0