BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #23
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuRuKi View Post
both Challenge and FabSpeed claim no CEL! I dont think they could advertise that if it wasnt true?
Im worried now... The only reason i got the street x-pipe was to avoid getting a CEL
Anyone running a street pipe that got a CEL?

I've been running a Challenge STREET pipe for over a year now....NO CEL
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #24
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
x-pipe explained
Attached Images

Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The stock rear cats and resonators flow very well. The OEM Xpipe is hydroformed and even though there is some flat spots and such it doesn't affect flow.

To answer your question the difference between the OEM Xpipe and aftermarket (with cats) is price..one is already included with the car the other you are out of possibly several thousand dollars. You can get the same net level of horsepower by going with a set of test pipes from whatever vendor you choose to replace the primaries and have the same net effect.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Um....well this is contradictory... Please clarify!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuRuKi View Post
I got worried and researched a little this is what i found:
http://www.***********.com/showthrea...pes-for-e9x-M3

▀▄ eas | Challenge line of X Pipes for e9x M3
Gentlemen,

As an authorized dealer for Challenge, we are proud to announce that Challenge have just recently released new line of X Pipes, which will be the new standard in workmanship and performance for your e9x M3.

Street - OEM Catalysts
The Challenge Street X Pipe features 304 stainless steel piping and flanges, twin high flow resonators, and a precision fabricated X section. This pipe slip fits after your OEM cats, for easy installation with NO check engine lights! Best of all, no exhaust smell to alert the law at inspection. All bolts, gaskets, and stainless clamps necessary for install are included.

Features:
- Made in the USA
- Full stainless steel construction
- Laser cut and formed mounting brackets
- 2.5 in Piping
- Twin resonators for noise and drone reduction
- Retains factory primary cats
- No check engine light
- Flanged design for easy installation and upgrade options
- 10 wheel hp and 15 ft tq gains with factory exhaust
- Increased low end power
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Yes, you will still get a CEL with the Street Pipe.

Tune or Delete-R will remedy this.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Um....well this is contradictory... Please clarify!
It's what we've seen here firsthand, can't be any clearer.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #28
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
you have direct source from challenge saying it's not going to throw a cel. i bet you if you ask any active member on the forum about the challenge street xpipe they will recollect that it shouldn't throw a cel. everyone knows about the street xpipe BECAUSE it won't throw a cel. as i was typing this i checked your site and i can't find challenge xpipes anywhere lol what's going on here
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #29
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Well if you and challenge have stated in previous posts that you should not get a CEL because it uses the stock primary cats, and now you are saying that you will get a CEL then you are not being clear at all.

You should not need a tune or delete-R if you are utilizing the primary cats in my experience, but if this is not true then you should tell that to Challenge who has stated otherwise in this thread, as well as, correct other posts you have made. As Happos2 has pointed out you are being very contradictory.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
Well if you and challenge have stated in previous posts that you should not get a CEL because it uses the stock primary cats, and now you are saying that you will get a CEL then you are not being clear at all.

You should not need a tune or delete-R if you are utilizing the primary cats in my experience, but if this is not true then you should tell that to Challenge who has stated otherwise in this thread, as well as, correct other posts you have made. As Happos2 has pointed out you are being very contradictory.
There's nothing to change, we haven't carried the Challenge lineup for quite some time now. The post you are quoting was from almost 2 1/2 years ago on another forum.

OP asked for experiences - we shared experiences. Let's just leave it at that.

Definately get the last word from Challenge directly if needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Doesn't matter what changes are made AFTER the post-cat oxygen sensors. The car is "numb" to these changes and will not throw a CEL for anything downstream of the post-cat o2's. So as long as the primaries and both sensors are installed (before and after the primaries), any setup should not trigger a fault.

It doesn't make sense to me that this would trigger a fault if the stock primaries and sensors are left in place.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #32
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

thx for clarifying! I was seriously worrying i was gonna get a CEL
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Doesn't matter what changes are made AFTER the post-cat oxygen sensors. The car is "numb" to these changes and will not throw a CEL for anything downstream of the post-cat o2's. So as long as the primaries and both sensors are installed (before and after the primaries), any setup should not trigger a fault.

It doesn't make sense to me that this would trigger a fault if the stock primaries and sensors are left in place.
+1 your fine if you keep your primaries. I've been running with CEL light for emissions for a week now. Its not a big deal to see a little light for the amount of power you get. With that said i look forward to adding a tune when a group buy from BPM comes up :-D
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You need to have adapters for the slip-on to attach to a stock exhaust type flange.

The stock X-pipe also has lots of kinks and bends in it compared to an aftermarket pipe. It probably doesn't really matter but there is a difference.
Where to find such adapters. I have the evo and I want to switch out my xpipe
Akra makes them and you can order from EAS or IND.
      05-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

I'm trying to meet up with some locals so I can hear it first hand with the full Akra setup and other setups so I can make a decision.

What I do know is my current slip on is WAY TOO QUIET! It's even more mellow than my NSX which is quiet with the GT_ROM 5.1

I like hear a bit more sound for a performance car. Irony is that the Porsche Panamera GTS with the stock system in SPORT mode sounds more aggressive than my M3, hello!
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

hey question for all your exhaust pros out there:

How come no one has suggested leaving both sets of cats and ONLY removing the resonators on the X-pipe? Has this been done before and the sound result?

I'm leaning 90% to going with the Sport pipes that slip on after the primary cats since there is no CEL risk and I will gain some sound?

I am still running the stock filter too so perhaps I should get a drop in filter as well?
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #37
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Don't think anyone has cut out the resonators only yet. I doubt you'll get much increase in sound if you keep the 400cpi cats intact. Even with the EVO, it's not that much louder than my friend's axle back.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #38
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
hey question for all your exhaust pros out there:

How come no one has suggested leaving both sets of cats and ONLY removing the resonators on the X-pipe? Has this been done before and the sound result?

I'm leaning 90% to going with the Sport pipes that slip on after the primary cats since there is no CEL risk and I will gain some sound?

I am still running the stock filter too so perhaps I should get a drop in filter as well?
Running a car with no resonators at all might not sound that great, that's why no one suggested it. If you go with the sport pipes, you should gain a little sound yes.

Drop in filter is not going to change the sound.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #39
JuRuKi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

i had the Eisenmann race mufflers on my M3 and i thought it wasnt loud enough for my taste. Removed the resonators from my stock x-pipe and there was barely any difference in sound. It just sounded a tiny bit throatier.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #40
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

the problem with AKRA is just too quite...

I had a full xpipe no cat no res and was damn too loud...

also had Full xpipe with high flow cat with a resonator and it was perfect only problem is cel will trigger even on a high flow cat... keep in mind that some get the cel and some dont with a high flow cat...

I also had a full xpipe with no cat but with resonator... it was a bit tamed but yes was still loud enough that cops will look and might pull you over.

the most hated part is that without a cat the smell is just insane.. ive had cars without cats before specially in my s2000 and i was able to take the smell... on an M3?

fawk that this thing fart like shit... its so bad that everyone can smell 4-5 cars down.

My suggestion if you want something a bit louder? get an xpipe with

high flow cat with res... but my recomendation...

get the turner or MS pipe... it is the best set up without breaking the bank.. xpipe are a joke when it comes to a price specially for our cars M3.... test pipe will do the same and i highly recommend.

$450 bucks pipe, you really cant complain compare to $1500-$3000 full xpipe...

and to avoid the cel i suggest get the BMS or AKRA delete R. or better yet get a tune for some xtra power