BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
NetBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Penfed Extended Maintenance

Need your opinion on this warranty offered thru Penfed.
I paid $1,500 for 5 years (from today) and 85k miles total. It's not on top of the factory warranty. Penfed calls it the Platinum mechanical breakdown coverage. Its thru MERCURY SELECT MANAGEMENT COMPANY, INC..
I have 60 days to cancel or increase coverage. I can increase to 6,7 years and up to 150k miles for not much more money.

The warranty only lists what's NOT covered.

2. THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS ARE SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED: AUDIO SPEAKERS, BATTERIES, BODY
PANELS, BODY SEALS, BUMPERS, CABLES, CARPETING, CHASSIS, CLAMPS, FASTENERS (I.E., NUTS, BOLTS,
CLIPS, ETC. UNLESS REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED REPAIR), CONVERTIBLE TOPS AND THEIR
MECHANISMS, EXHAUST AND EMISSION SYSTEM COMPONENTS, GASOLINE FUEL INJECTORS THAT DO NOT
HAVE AN ELECTRICAL FAILURE, GLASS, INSULATION, HOSES; LINES AND FITTINGS (EXCEPT BRAKE LINES
AND FITTINGS), MIRRORS, MANUAL CLUTCH COMPONENTS, PAINT, PASSENGER RESTRAINT SYSTEM, SEATS,
SECONDARY IGNITION COMPONENTS, SOFT TRIM/MOLDINGS OR APPEARANCE ITEMS, SUSPENSION SPRINGS,
TELEPHONES, TORSION BARS, UPHOLSTERY, WEATHER STRIPPING, WHEEL LUG NUTS/STUDS, WHEELS, WHEEL
COVERS, INTERNET COMPUTER, NAVIGATION SYSTEM, VIDEO COMPONENTS, HEADS-UP DISPLAY, AND NIGHT
VISION SYSTEMS.
3. THIS CONTRACT SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES: NORMAL MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE ITEMS; ALIGNMENTS;
ADJUSTMENTS; CALIBRATIONS; CLEANING; NON-PUBLISHED DIAGNOSTIC LABOR; FILTERS/FLUIDS/LUBRICANTS/
REFRIGERANTS (EXCEPT IN CONJUNCTION WITH A COVERED REPAIR); A/C ACCUMULATOR/DRIER (EXCEPT
IN CONJUNCTION WITH COMPRESSOR REPLACEMENT); FUSES; LIGHTS/BULBS/LENSES; SHOP SUPPLIES;
ENVIRONMENTAL DISPOSAL CHARGES; WEAR ITEMS; ACCESSORY DRIVE BELTS; BRAKE PADS AND SHOES;
BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS; SHOCK ABSORBERS; STRUTS; TIMING BELTS THAT ARE WORN OR STRETCHED;
AND WIPER BLADES.

Tire Coverage
Until the expiration of this Contract or a tread depth of 3/32 of an inch, whichever comes first, We will reimburse You for
the repair, or if necessary, the replacement of any of Your Vehicle’s tires (original equipment size only) that have become
damaged or unsafe for use due to a Road Hazard. In no event will Our liability for Tire Protection Reimbursement
exceed $125.00 per repair visit or $500.00 during the term of this Contract. The Rental, and Emergency Trip Interruption
Reimbursements are not applicable to any claim You may have under the Tire Protection Reimbursement.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
ToddM3FutureOwner
Rep
Drives: Future Owner

so it seems like the major items this covers is engine and transmission based on how I am reading this?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

What the hell do you want that for? Every component I'd buy an extended warranty for (clutch, A/C, nav, EDC, etc) is excluded. A total waste of money IMO, but to each his own. Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

The problem, in my view, is that you're not buying a PenFed warranty, they're just selling it. It's administered by one of the many private warranty companies, and you won't be dealing with PenFed when you file a claim. I don't know anything about Mercury, but many of these companies are pretty shady to deal with.

From the price, it sounds like you purchased fairly basic coverage (primarily powertrain), but you can purchase policies that cover basically everything. They do cost considerably more.
      10-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

So what is covered???????????
      10-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
NetBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

The warranty says everything is covered except what's in the excluded list. Big list.

I thought the price was right and Penfed sold it to me. They said I have 60 days to cancel so that's why I got it.

Some big exclusions:
EXHAUST AND EMISSION SYSTEM COMPONENTS
MANUAL CLUTCH COMPONENTS (but I have DCT??)
NAVIGATION SYSTEM, VIDEO COMPONENTS
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

electronics are rarely covered in ext warranties