BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
Sinn
Got myself a U2 for Christmas.

Pic Added!

Last edited by Feyd; 12-30-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
if you get a mint Rolex with all the paper work, something that MSRP's for $6k - $7k that you get for $5k, you will not have paid too much because you'll always be able to recoup most of your investment easily if you decide to sell it.

a lot of other watches do not retain resale as readily, or at least take more work to sell. Rolex has such broad appeal in North America that it's a safe bet. As is Omega.

Lower end watches like Tissot, Movado etc. can be bought at outlets or department stores on deep discounts and have little resale potential.

Higher end, more obscure stuff like Glashutte, Zenith, etc. have a more limited market (Serious watch douches) and are a bit tougher to flip than a Rolex.

Hamilton is a good entry swiss watch, however, for a starter auto i would recommend Oris. They are the official BMW F1 watch and you can pick them up off ebay, WUS or timezone for great prices, fully depreciated. I made money on my first Oris and wouldnt lose on the Oris that i still have.

however, even though the quality is there with Oris the wrist-presence is not up to Omega / Rolex / Panerai
Some good points here, thanks! Maybe Rolex isn't out of reach then. I hear you on the ORIS, thing is if I'm spending past $2k, I expect a certain level of cache` to come with the watch I buy, anything less is like - should of just bought something much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
if you get a mint Rolex with all the paper work, something that MSRP's for $6k - $7k that you get for $5k, you will not have paid too much because you'll always be able to recoup most of your investment easily if you decide to sell it.

a lot of other watches do not retain resale as readily, or at least take more work to sell. Rolex has such broad appeal in North America that it's a safe bet. As is Omega.

Higher end, more obscure stuff like Glashutte, Zenith, etc. have a more limited market (Serious watch douches) and are a bit tougher to flip than a Rolex.

Hamilton is a good entry swiss watch, however, for a starter auto i would recommend Oris. They are the official BMW F1 watch and you can pick them up off ebay, WUS or timezone for great prices, fully depreciated. I made money on my first Oris and wouldnt lose on the Oris that i still have.

however, even though the quality is there with Oris the wrist-presence is not up to Omega / Rolex / Panerai
+10000000000, what he said...

@op: I'd say it depends on how and what occasion in which you are going to wear your watch. For an all around watch I'd stick with a used rolex for your budget. You could pick up a mint gmt or subs or explorer 2 white dial. Or if you want one for a more formal occasion then, save up a little more and get a used jaeger reverso duo grande
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Surprised no one mentioned a nice tag
      12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
Surprised no one mentioned a nice tag
Yea, I posted I'm not considering Omega, TAG, Movado overall. They are fine watches in of themselves, but want something a bit more exclusive like a Panerai, Hublot, Rolex, etc.

Exception: one TAG I do really like is the TAG Monaco.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
TAG RS2 GC is exclusive. I have this one.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
TAG RS2 GC is exclusive. I have this one.

nice!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Not to start a flame war, but TAG and Movado are not in the same league as higher-end watches like Breitling, Omega, and Sinn.

Rolex and Panerai are also good watches, but I do think you pay higher prices to support their marketing efforts. At those price points (above $5,000) you get a better watch if you look at IWC or Zenith.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #31
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
Not to start a flame war, but TAG and Movado are not in the same league as higher-end watches like Breitling, Omega, and Sinn.

Rolex and Panerai are also good watches, but I do think you pay higher prices to support their marketing efforts. At those price points (above $5,000) you get a better watch if you look at IWC or Zenith.
Yep, I agree. Hence my nixing Tag and Movado overall. Just too generic for the most part. There are some exceptions, but I'd rather have a watch at that price range be from a brand that's exclusive most (if not all) of the time vs. an exception here or there.

I looked at IWC, but a bit too bland for my tastes. What I really want is a Hublot. Given my taste, I'll end up with a Rolex Subm., Panerai Luminor, or Breitling Chronomat Flying Fish.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #32
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Talking

Class-of2013,
Sound like you have your eyes on either a Rolex, a Breitling or a Panerai. Whichever brand that you are going to pick, please do try them on first and see if it is comfortable enough on your wrist and sits nicely i.e. the watch should not bulged out as if you were wearing a hockey puck on your wrist..

good luck and keep us posted!

how do you attach a pic btw?

Last edited by lmaleke; 12-31-2012 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: trying to attached a pic
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #33
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Lightbulb ah finally...

finally i am able to attached a pic...
I wear the gmt much more than the hublot (the hublot is a gift from my father inlaw). The GMT2 sits much more comfortably on my wrist than the later...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #34
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaleke View Post
I wear the gmt much more than the hublot (the hublot is a gift from my father inlaw). The GMT2 sits much more comfortably on my wrist than the later...
If you're buying used, be aware that the Subs and GMT's changed over to a larger case frame a couple of years ago (yours is an older small frame GMT) and so the newer ones do sit larger on the wrist than the older versions.

I have an older Rolex 16610 Submariner which I love for it's classic simplicity of design, and toughness.
      12-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #35
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
If you're buying used, be aware that the Subs and GMT's changed over to a larger case frame a couple of years ago (yours is an older small frame GMT) and so the newer ones do sit larger on the wrist than the older versions.

I have an older Rolex 16610 Submariner which I love for it's classic simplicity of design, and toughness.
Thanks, I did not know about the size of the casing changing from year to year. I will def. try the watch on if I end up getting the one I want.

Imaleke - Nice watches bro! I like both.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #36
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
That Hublot is a replica FYI
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #37
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
+1 on the Sinn watches I love my U212

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #38
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
That Hublot is a replica FYI
Bold statement from one pic. Appears to be real to me. Care to enlighten us how you determined it's fake?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #39
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Bold statement from one pic. Appears to be real to me. Care to enlighten us how you determined it's fake?
Hence why most should be careful when not buying from an AD.

Outer ring of the 3 o'clock subdial. All replica HBB Luna Rosa have white indices, the real deal is red. Sunken datewheel is also a dead giveaway. The watch is clearly a replica.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Hublots are for rappers.

Breitlings are for old dudes.

Go with something understated and timeless. If it's your first big watch purchase you'll want to choose something you can wear every day so that you can continuously justify the cost to yourself.

If my wrists weren't so big I'd buy a the new cased Submariner.. but to make a sub look proportional on me I have to go with the 44mm DSSD which is considerably more expensive LOL. So I'm waiting on that one.

Here are a couple pics of my 176K I bought back in 2008. I paid $4800 when new, now MSRP is $5800 for this particular model and set to rise again in 2013.. So as long as you're in it for the long haul PAMs seem to be pretty good at holding their value.

I love how versatile this watch is. You can dress it up/down with different straps and it just looks looks so understated an elegant under a shirt cuff... Icing on the cake is that the hand-winding movement makes such a satisfying noise when it's running. A very audible tic-tic-tic-tic.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #41
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Just wanted to add about the brand name flame war ...

Some brands have lots of low end models and are not considered on par with more exclusive brands, but they may have a watch or two that are an exception.

Think Nissan. It's not a high end car, but no one doubts that the GT-R is in a league of its own in the supercar world.

Just saying, sometimes there are exceptions.

People that know watches wont be impressed by the lowest-end Rolex any more than they will be impressed with the most expensive Movado.

People that don't know watches (most people) will be impressed by both because they are shiny

Get something you love the looks of and don't worry too much about impressing people. Just my ra-ra happy days post for the day
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Hence why most should be careful when not buying from an AD.

Outer ring of the 3 o'clock subdial. All replica HBB Luna Rosa have white indices, the real deal is red. Sunken datewheel is also a dead giveaway. The watch is clearly a replica.
Yup, you are right...didn't notice the white ticking on the 3 subdial.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #43
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
If you're looking to pick up that one daily watch to wear for the next lifetime, I'd suggest going to a store that carries multiple brands and trying on a few. Some fit right and some just don't. Depends on case, band material, etc. You definitely want to make sure that you enjoy wearing it.

As far as brand, get whatever catches your eye. My watches range from $50 to $5000.

Just for fun....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #44
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

The thing about watches is, you should be wearing the watch, not vice versa. Not to pick on a specific brand, but those Hublots are so "look at me" that it becomes all about the watch. Not very timeless, in my opinion. And pardon the pun. Also the reason why most Breitlings don't appeal to me.

I'm not a big fan of Rolex, but I would make an exception for a Sea Dweller or maybe a Sub...
Appreciate 0