BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
kj71109
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Hello everyone,

Currently having a problem with my battery discharging. Looking for some help. I recently noticed that after my car has been shut off, my start stop button is staying on. If I close the door with key in car, but not in ignition, it stays on. Also if I take key out of car and lock it it, it stays on. I have checked after hours of doing this and it's still on. Left it overnight, still on. So, I'm almost positive this has to be my battery draining issue.

I tried disconnecting battery overnight and charging it. Once I reconnected and troubleshooted as above, the start/stop button did the same thing.

Anyone experience this issue, and have a solution for it?

Car is a 2013 limerock. No comfort access, only option is Nav.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
kj71109
Private First Class
Rep

Never mind everyone. Did more searching and need to troubleshoot some more. Going to fully recharge battery and go from there. I have been doing quite a few shorter trips to work lately causing battery discharge. The Bimmerpost app makes it hard to search for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj71109 View Post
Hello everyone,

Currently having a problem with my battery discharging. Looking for some help. I recently noticed that after my car has been shut off, my start stop button is staying on. If I close the door with key in car, but not in ignition, it stays on. Also if I take key out of car and lock it it, it stays on. I have checked after hours of doing this and it's still on. Left it overnight, still on. So, I'm almost positive this has to be my battery draining issue.

I tried disconnecting battery overnight and charging it. Once I reconnected and troubleshooted as above, the start/stop button did the same thing.

Has your car EDC ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
kj71109
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Has your car EDC ?
Yes it does. I found the threads pertaining to that info. I am currently troubleshooting it from those threads to see if that's my problem. My EDC works as it should, but my start stop button stays constantly illuminated.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yes it does. I found the threads pertaining to that info. I am currently troubleshooting it from those threads to see if that's my problem. My EDC works as it should, but my start stop button stays constantly illuminated.
Yep . Your car has probably a faulty EDC module => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...8#post23709208

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
kj71109188.50
      09-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
kj71109
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update for anyone else with this issue. I got my battery up to a full charge, drove the car around a few times, and it is now holding a charge. The start stop light is no longer illuminated. My EDC works as it should.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Just an update for anyone else with this issue. I got my battery up to a full charge, drove the car around a few times, and it is now holding a charge. The start stop light is no longer illuminated. My EDC works as it should.
What is your current theory for the symptoms? Do you think it was a low battery causing such symptoms?
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #8
kj71109
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
What is your current theory for the symptoms? Do you think it was a low battery causing such symptoms?
Yes, I think that it was low battery in this instance. I was driving the car on a few short trips for a couple weeks and not putting it on the battery tender.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I think that it was low battery in this instance. I was driving the car on a few short trips for a couple weeks and not putting it on the battery tender.
Check my pictures in # 26 => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1#post15488771

Appreciate 1
kj71109188.50
      09-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

Definitely consider EDC module. My dad's initially was not showing any EDC faults but we noticed the tender was staying on the charge mode indefinitely. Then the EDC system light popped up after some days.

Also - it was covered under warranty, but the dealer initially wanted to charge him for a ground cable (not covered), because they said their diagnostics were indicating that was the first item they had to repair. I told them they should save their time and my money as this appears to be textbook EDC issue. But they persisted. Surprisingly, the dealer was nice - I got a call saying that after they swapped the ground the system them showed an EDC fault, so they put the old ground on and replaced the module. Then all was right in the world we paid $0 out of pocket for the repair.

Seems the EDC module has become an item that definitely has a life span on the E9x chassis.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
that doesn't make sense, from a car manufacturer's standpoint. Why have the start light stay on like that - as a warning? most of us don't even realize it stays on. It's like adding insult to injury: your battery is low because you don't drive much, so hey I got an idea, let's help it discharge some more ...

Let me suggest that you have a failing EDC module and it will eventually fail completely, leaving that start light on all the time and causing battery drain and possibly battery damage.

I'm speaking from experience: 2013 E93 M3, had intermittent battery drain problems. Sometimes I'd get the increased battery discharge warning when I started the car; then it would go away and I wouldn't see it for months until it happened again.

Eventually - I'm talking like 2 years later - it failed completely, and I'd get a increased battery discharge warning every time I left the car alone for more than an hour.

I took it to a local mechanic that's well-regarded by local BMW people. He updated the car's software, checked for a parasitic drain and didn't find one, told me to come and get it, charged me >$600 ('2 hours labor for updating the software' are you kidding me). When I started the car it gave me the warning. However, just starting the car for those of us in this situation clears the error, as you can read about in the threads: That's one reason dealers have so much trouble recreating the problem. My mechanic went as far as to wonder out loud about it, saying 'huh, no one would make THAT up," implying that he thought I was making it up.

However I will say this: his determination that there wasn't a parasitic drain meant I could stop looking for one. And then I found the threads about the start button and sure enough, it stayed lit. All day and night.

Bought a new EDC, installed it myself, bam. no more problem. edit, my bad, I bought a USED EDC on ebay for like $100 - it was new to me.

(just fyi, if you need an EDC module, it does not have to be from the same car as yours as long as it's the same part - but in the case of a different type of car you may be required to re-code the module: I don't know as I bought one from a 2011 e92 M3 and just copied my EDC's coding on to it.)

This was only a few days ago, so we'll see if it solved the problem long-term (after all it had always been intermittent until like a month ago - at which point I took to disconnecting the negative battery terminal every time I parked the car at home).

So if your problem occurs again I'd def recommend swapping out the EDC.

Oh and by the way, afaik my EDC also 'worked' as it should - in other words the normal function of the electronic dampening worked. But for some reason, the start light is wired in to this thing....

Last edited by RedCardinal; 10-18-2018 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCardinal View Post
that doesn't make sense, from a car manufacturer's standpoint. Why have the start light stay on like that - as a warning? most of us don't even realize it stays on. It's like adding insult to injury: your battery is low because you don't drive much, so hey I got an idea, let's help it discharge some more ...

Let me suggest that you have a failing EDC module and it will eventually fail completely, leaving that start light on all the time and causing battery drain and possibly battery damage.

I'm speaking from experience: 2013 E93 M3, had intermittent battery drain problems. Sometimes I'd get the increased battery discharge warning when I started the car; then it would go away and I wouldn't see it for months until it happened again.

Eventually - I'm talking like 2 years later - it failed completely, and I'd get a increased battery discharge warning every time I left the car alone for more than an hour.

I took it to a local mechanic that's well-regarded by local BMW people. He updated the car's software, checked for a parasitic drain and didn't find one, told me to come and get it, charged me >$600 ('2 hours labor for updating the software' are you kidding me). When I started the car it gave me the warning. However, just starting the car for those of us in this situation clears the error, as you can read about in the threads: That's one reason dealers have so much trouble recreating the problem. My mechanic went as far as to wonder out loud about it, saying 'huh, no one would make THAT up," implying that he thought I was making it up.

However I will say this: his determination that there wasn't a parasitic drain meant I could stop looking for one. And then I found the threads about the start button and sure enough, it stayed lit. All day and night.

Bought a new EDC, installed it myself, bam. no more problem. edit, my bad, I bought a USED EDC on ebay for like $100 - it was new to me.

(just fyi, if you need an EDC module, it does not have to be from the same car as yours as long as it's the same part - but in the case of a different type of car you may be required to re-code the module: I don't know as I bought one from a 2011 e92 M3 and just copied my EDC's coding on to it.)

This was only a few days ago, so we'll see if it solved the problem long-term (after all it had always been intermittent until like a month ago - at which point I took to disconnecting the negative battery terminal every time I parked the car at home).

So if your problem occurs again I'd def recommend swapping out the EDC.

Oh and by the way, afaik my EDC also 'worked' as it should - in other words the normal function of the electronic dampening worked. But for some reason, the start light is wired in to this thing....
The Start Stop button is not connected to the EDC module in any way. The start stop button is only connected to the CAS module via a ribbon cable.

Though the EDC module staying awake will cause the start/stop button to remain illuminated, and replacing the EDC module may fix some cars, it is by no means the only reason that button stays on.

IN the OP's instance, the overly discharged battery was keeping the IBS active, which wasn't allowing terminal 30G to deactivate, keeping things like the Comfort access module, CAS, Footwell module etc on, keeping the button illuminated. If that buttons led doesn't turn off, it's because the CAS module is staying on. If the battery is drained below 60% SOC consistently, the CAS module will remain on. why is it programmed that way? No clue. But if it remains on, terminal 30G and 30F will remain active and some modules will stay on, and the button will remain illuminated.

To diagnose, run a power management test, followed by a test plan on anything PTCAN, or FCAN related. The faulty module will have something like "terminal 30G Circuit violation" or a similar fault if its indeed staying on after it's suppose to shut off.
      10-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #13
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Thank you for your reply, I really like hearing from someone who can explain the technical aspects of things.

Again though, it strikes me as a mistake that BMW programmed IBS to stay active when the battery gets low (if I have that right).

In my case the IBS was throwing codes, and I replaced it. The battery discharge continued to happen and that's when I swapped out the EDC module. That was just few days ago so I'm not even truly certain the 'fix' is permanent - the problem had been intermittent for
years....

anyway awesome reply thanks.
Appreciate 0