BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

EXXEL Distributions

01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #111
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

They are going for a more classic style with those ones. I don't particularly like that style of lug either, but it seems to do well with the older watch guys.

But that's also why the Zurich line came out, adding variety with their lugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #112
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

I do like the going to Germany idea for watch hunting. I'd actually love to go to the show in Geneva this year and check out watches and do a side trip to Germany
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #113
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I do like the going to Germany idea for watch hunting. I'd actually love to go to the show in Geneva this year and check out watches and do a side trip to Germany
I haven't been to Basel, but have been through the Glashutte area, which is a great trip. I used to work in Frankfurt, so dropping in on Sinn was very easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #114
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I haven't been to Basel, but have been through the Glashutte area, which is a great trip. I used to work in Frankfurt, so dropping in on Sinn was very easy.
Was trying to convince my dad last year to go with me to Basel world. Was a no go. It's a place I should probably avoid if I want to keep my money.

Glasuhutte would be awesome to tour around, looks beautiful from the pictures I've seen.

How did you like living in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #115
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did you like living in Germany?
Sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #116
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Lol, slightly thread jacked the thread a bit
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #117
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's okay, I'm an expert at that. German watches are cooler than Swiss watches anyway.

I like watches that have a little bit of a non-conformist side to them. The Glashutte watches fit that bill for me and one day I'll find a way to pay for an A Lange. I also like the British watches like Bremont and the Italian background of Panerai and Anonimo.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #118
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol, slightly thread jacked the thread a bit
I'll see if I can bring it back.

Quote:
I have that one, its a nice watch, pretty standard movement in it however. it's a good watch if you're in water lots, because of it's 300m depth rating. If you find one used for a good price, it's worth it.

I've been following the various watch threads and would like to consult your expertise. I have been looking into what I would like as my first mechanical watch and have sort of narrowed it down to Omega Seamasters and Speedmasters, and Tag Heuer Carreras. There are also some Oris and Sinn models I like as well. My first question; is it even worth considering a Seamaster unless you are frequently in or around the water? I love the aesthetics of the Seamaster models, but I don't need a divers watch. My second question; where does one usually look for used watches? Is it just your local jeweler/watch shop, or are there reputable online retailers with used inventories?
      01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #119
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's okay, I'm an expert at that. German watches are cooler than Swiss watches anyway.

I like watches that have a little bit of a non-conformist side to them. The Glashutte watches fit that bill for me and one day I'll find a way to pay for an A Lange. I also like the British watches like Bremont and the Italian background of Panerai and Anonimo.
I'd love an a Lange.... Some beautiful pieces. I'm pretty fond so some of the gal shuttle originals as well.

So many watches, so little time!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #120
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead
Not a bad deal, those Valjoux 7750 movements are pretty reliable. I'm not a fan of the lack of lugs and the way the strap attaches, but that's certainly not a deal breaker. Be aware that most black watches will show scratches easily and some fade to an odd purple color with UV exposure.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #121
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I'll see if I can bring it back.

I've been following the various watch threads and would like to consult your expertise. I have been looking into what I would like as my first mechanical watch and have sort of narrowed it down to Omega Seamasters and Speedmasters, and Tag Heuer Carreras. There are also some Oris and Sinn models I like as well. My first question; is it even worth considering a Seamaster unless you are frequently in or around the water? I love the aesthetics of the Seamaster models, but I don't need a divers watch. My second question; where does one usually look for used watches? Is it just your local jeweler/watch shop, or are there reputable online retailers with used inventories?
The question you are asking is somewhat a double edged sword. The best answer I can give you without being long winded, technical, and maybe even slightly biased (something I word had to avoid)

*if the watch speaks to you, then it may be the one for you no matter what others say*

Now on to what I have to say about them . No, there really isn't a point getting a seamaster, but that being said, I have a bunch of chronometers, and I never use them, so the point is moot because I still bought them knowing I'd likely not have a use for the function.

In the case of that sea aster professional with chronometer, the watch can do depths I'll never see, and it can time a lap on a race track for me. I still own it though

Tag has and omega have a history of purchasing valjoux internals and putting them in their watch cases and arguably selling them for more then they are worth. On that note, many other brands are guilty of the exact same thing. Some will argue that the internals they use are toyed tested and true. And I somewhat subscribe to that line of thought depending how high the price is. Panerai is one brand I haven't always respected for that reason. It is coming around however and I respect it more now ( even owning one)

So, in all reality, it all depends what you are looking at. I bought my seamaster professional for 2600$ and I think I got it for less then it probably should have gone for. I got lucky. Now, both tag and omega also make some watches that are more respected in the watch aficionado world as well. Mostly due to history. But have been coming out with some of their own movements recently.

So, if you're looking for my personal opinion, I would direct you towards the Omega speedmaster professional. It is an older movement, but it has a rich history. It is durable, but is only manual wind, which some see as a turn off.
That seam aster professional I have, though it has a standard movement in it, it still is a strong, sturdy, and capable watch that definitely has more value then some because of its case design. Is it worth the price? Debatable. If you really like is aesthetically and it is a dream watch, get it. Or, if you're a diver and don't want to spend Rolex seadweller money, it's a bargain especially since it has a chronometer as well.

As far as tag goes, maybe check out the caliber 1887. It comes with controversy! So you can discuss its merits with other watch lovers I own this as well, it is a nice piece. Also if you don't mind square watches, check out the Monaco. It comes in a few styles, and one in particular (though more expensive) sports a higher quality Zenith movement in it. One that was even in Rolexes for a short time because it was better then what they could do at the time.

Best place for used is on forums, though you have to be careful how you go about making deals. It helps if you're in a big city. I'd suggest keeping deals local so you're doing face to face deals. The more expensive brands, it can be worth taking it to a service place to verify its authenticity. Sometimes, that's even the case if buying used from a store. They don't always open the back to verify contents.

Check out watchuseek and timezone, they are very big watch forums with lots of info, and subsections for many of the retailers.

I'm sure I may have missed a few things, so please feel free to ask more.

And remember, if you love it, nothing else matters

Unless you have 100 watches and are becoming a junkie and need something that is all in house and hand made, then you have a new problem
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #122
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Also, never settle for sticker price if you can, think like buying cars, you can talk them down. Especially if one has been in a case for a while. I try to aim for 15-30% off. Special limited production stuff, or from boutiques, don't expect deals.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #123
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Also, never settle for sticker price if you can, think like buying cars, you can talk them down. Especially if one has been in a case for a while. I try to aim for 15-30% off. Special limited production stuff, or from boutiques, don't expect deals.
Thanks for all of the great info!
      01-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #124
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is mostly true, but unless you have a long standing relationship with a dealer, you'll be very unlikely to get any discount on Rolex or Panerai, one of the reasons those watches have so little initial depreciation. Sinn also has only one US distributor so discounts from Watch Buys are limited to their sales and promotions, which are relatively rare on Sinn models.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #125
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is mostly true, but unless you have a long standing relationship with a dealer, you'll be very unlikely to get any discount on Rolex or Panerai, one of the reasons those watches have so little initial depreciation. Sinn also has only one US distributor so discounts from Watch Buys are limited to their sales and promotions, which are relatively rare on Sinn models.
True. Nice thing about panerai however, is the owners trade them like playing cards, so there's always lots of them for sale/trade.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #126
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

IWC Portuguese is a sweet watch. Used ones definitely under 5 grand.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #127
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
This just arrived yesterday, Oris TT3.

Name:  OrisR1.jpg
Views: 2248
Size:  464.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #128
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I second the IWC Portuguese. It is absolutely stunning and in range if you go pre owned like Mike the snake said.
      01-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #129
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Thanks for all the great info. you've shared!

Question, is there any advice you can give to someone who knows what watch they want (i.e. IWC Portuguese and a Panerai) and can find it online "new" for a pretty good price. There are shops like Jomashop.com and other online retailers that seem to have pretty aggressive pricing vs stores. Thoughts?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True. Nice thing about panerai however, is the owners trade them like playing cards, so there's always lots of them for sale/trade.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #130
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
Thanks for all the great info. you've shared!

Question, is there any advice you can give to someone who knows what watch they want (i.e. IWC Portuguese and a Panerai) and can find it online "new" for a pretty good price. There are shops like Jomashop.com and other online retailers that seem to have pretty aggressive pricing vs stores. Thoughts?
i would never buy from jomashop, authenticwatches etc.

they may/may not be real, but another problem is how long they've been sitting idle, and the first thing you may need to do upon recieving it is a service (which cost as much as car servicing btw ).. also most online grey markets dont offer manufacturer warranty, instead they provide their own shoddy version)

grey market is not worth the hassle, their prices seem great, but after a bit of haggling in a brick and mortar store, you wont be paying too much more. if you can claim tax (via work or travel) you might even be able to beat it.

best of luck
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #131
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
i would never buy from jomashop, authenticwatches etc.

they may/may not be real, but another problem is how long they've been sitting idle, and the first thing you may need to do upon recieving it is a service (which cost as much as car servicing btw ).. also most online grey markets dont offer manufacturer warranty, instead they provide their own shoddy version)

grey market is not worth the hassle, their prices seem great, but after a bit of haggling in a brick and mortar store, you wont be paying too much more. if you can claim tax (via work or travel) you might even be able to beat it.

best of luck
What about buying from Amazon, I have heard that they are trustworthy?
      01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #132
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
What about buying from Amazon, I have heard that they are trustworthy?
amazon direct, yes

but like ebay, amazon is littered with many independent sellers, many of whom are just not that trustworthy..
Appreciate 0