BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Blacklite
Rep
Drives: None-existent

Bimmer lover but love the Audi R8

I love bimmers but lately I've seen some videos on YT on some Audi R8s. Now I know we have the M's and whatnot, but the R8 is a gorgeous car, and I wish BMW made something kind of like it. I kind of feel guilty liking it, but I can't help it!! ahah What are your opinions on the R8?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Fantastic car for which I have lots of respect. I too wish BMW would build something to compete with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

You feel guilty liking it? The R8 is a respectable automobile.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

V8 R8 = lol. The V10, on the otherhand, is fantastic but always seems to me like the poor man's LP560 (obviously you're not poor if you can afford an R8 but you should see what I'm getting at).

BMW is a changed brand. They won't be making exciting stuff that will stop traffic or be on a kid's bedroom wall poster, like Mercedes' SLR/SLS or Audi's R8. The most radical production car with a roundel on it to hit the streets recently was the M3 GTS, which was a minority altered version of an existing sports coupe and nothing short of a straight up joke. The brand is going to milk the "i" electric cars for all they're worth and neglect the true enthusiasts in the meantime. The Ultimate Driving Machine? Not in my book, at least not anymore.
      10-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
They won't be making exciting stuff that will stop traffic or be on a kid's bedroom wall poster, like Mercedes' SLR/SLS or Audi's R8.
I hope they will be pressured into building one seeing how Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi all have a super car... even if it is just for marketing reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
V8 R8 = lol. The V10, on the otherhand, is fantastic but always seems to me like the poor man's LP560 (obviously you're not poor if you can afford an R8 but you should see what I'm getting at).
I agree that the V8 is weak sauce for a "performance", borderline exotic.

The V10 is a beast however and I don't see anything wrong with the comparison you made. It is part of the same company and there is certainly room for both cars at their price points.

I see your analogy as being the exact same as the XK-R is the "poor man's" Vantage. No wrong choice with any of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

BMW needs a halo car...

A TT V-12 of some sort that is mid engined and potentially AWD with killer looks. Something that could complete with a 911 Turbo S, R8, Corvette ZR1 and the Nissan GTR. Price it in the 150K range and they'll be OK.
      10-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Anyone that hasn't driven the V8 model and dismisses is it missing out. It's not the fastest thing around, but it's still plenty quick and sounds great, a very comparable car to a 997 Carrera S. Whatever you do, avoid the two pedal option on either motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
BMW needs a halo car...

A TT V-12 of some sort that is mid engined and potentially AWD with killer looks. Something that could complete with a 911 Turbo S, R8, Corvette ZR1 and the Nissan GTR. Price it in the 150K range and they'll be OK.
lol are you serious bro
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
lol are you serious bro
Why not?

Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S

All those fit the bill and are halo cars, why doesn't BMW have one?
      10-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Why not?

Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S

A halo car should represent a brand's core values turned up to 11. There has never been an AWD performance (i.e. M) BMW, although the next gen M5/6 will reportedly receive wrong-wheel-drive variants. Also, you won't find many companies investing the R&D to develop V12s (FI or otherwise) due to CAFE standards, at least not a company like BMW which has CO2 emissions at top priority.

I agree that BMW needs a halo car, because even though I know they never generate direct profit, they do create a lot of brand momentum (which should in effect generate more overall sales). Had Lexus or Audi never created the LFA/R8, I'm sure their performance credentials would take a substantial hit.

My bet is on the i8 receiving an M variant. The i8's figures are finalized or nearly so, right? Not really sure, but I'm willing to put money on a "real" performance car being made out of that chassis, with a more suitable drivetrain. I'd bet the engine would be a force-fed six or eight cylinder, and the price for the M variant would be around the 175-225k range.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
A halo car should represent a brand's core values turned up to 11. There has never been an AWD performance (i.e. M) BMW, although the next gen M5/6 will reportedly receive wrong-wheel-drive variants. Also, you won't find many companies investing the R&D to develop V12s (FI or otherwise) due to CAFE standards, at least not a company like BMW which has CO2 emissions at top priority.

I agree that BMW needs a halo car, because even though I know they never generate direct profit, they do create a lot of brand momentum (which should in effect generate more overall sales). Had Lexus or Audi never created the LFA/R8, I'm sure their performance credentials would take a substantial hit.

My bet is on the i8 receiving an M variant. The i8's figures are finalized or nearly so, right? Not really sure, but I'm willing to put money on a "real" performance car being made out of that chassis, with a more suitable drivetrain. I'd bet the engine would be a force-fed six or eight cylinder, and the price for the M variant would be around the 175-225k range.
1. I think at the power levels of a halo car, BMW would not be able to create a very controllable Rear Wheel Drive car with close to 600 horsepower. The new M5 has 560 and weighs 4200 lbs, this halo car would have to be at the most 3500 lbs and that's pushing it. See, Mercedes SLS and how it does with RWD and its handling capabilities, it's essentially nothing but something comparable to an American drag car.

2. I doubt BMW would develop a halo car that has an NA powerplant unless it's a massive V-12 ala 850i when the lower level FI models such as the soon to be M3, the new M5 will provide much greater torque numbers and be much more pleasant to drive. In addition, an FI6 will be in the new M3 and an FI8 will be in the M5, that is way to close to what is already available. Besides, the GTR is the only car that has been able to pull off an amazing modern FI6 fit up to the standards of a halo car. The LFA and R8 have nothing to do with the production cars of their respective makes.

3. I don't see the I8 or anything close to it as being a "halo car". Looks are one thing, the drivetrain is another but that car simply is not cool in any way.

4. I doubt CAFE standards will be a big deal on a one off halo car that may be made for 300 or so vehicles.

5. Lexus put a lot of R&D into the LFA, like 10 years worth to create that car and it has nothing to do with its core values and is definitely a step out of the norm. As is the R8 for Audi.

6. The technology from halo cars will trickle down into production cars and a halo car certainly will and always generates momentum in sales so I agree with you there.
      11-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Anyone that hasn't driven the V8 model and dismisses is it missing out. It's not the fastest thing around, but it's still plenty quick and sounds great, a very comparable car to a 997 Carrera S. Whatever you do, avoid the two pedal option on either motor.
+1 The V8 is quick and handles like a go cart.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
Quote:

BMW is a changed brand. They won't be making exciting stuff that will stop traffic or be on a kid's bedroom wall poster, like Mercedes' SLR/SLS or Audi's R8. The most radical production car with a roundel on it to hit the streets recently was the M3 GTS, which was a minority altered version of an existing sports coupe and nothing short of a straight up joke. The brand is going to milk the "i" electric cars for all they're worth and neglect the true enthusiasts in the meantime. The Ultimate Driving Machine? Not in my book, at least not anymore.
Normally I am on board with most of your posts, but the LP560 comment is way off. Getting the performance of the r8v10 with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and 3x lower routine costs is more smart than poor man. Unless your the "look what I drive" Lambo type?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
Normally I am on board with most of your posts, but the LP560 comment is way off. Getting the performance of the r8v10 with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and 3x lower routine costs is more smart than poor man. Unless your the "look what I drive" Lambo type?
I should've clarified - that's the perception most people I've talked to have, as well as that being one of the usual comments made when one is spotted. I've had passenger seat time in 2 of them during spirited driving and it definitely fits the bill for supercar performance while it's much more livable. I can easily see the appeal in that. Again, it's basically a stereotype that I've noticed. In the end it's 2 different cars for 2 different needs.
      11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I'm with Nikka on this.

I heard the plan was to use the i8 chassis to make an M8 variant. The hold up is most likely that they plan on extensive use of CFRP. (like the i3/i8)
      11-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
The Ultimate Driving Machine? Not in my book, at least not anymore.
Ultimate Driving Machine doesn't always have to mean 'OMGWTFBBQ nuclear power and acceleration'. It just means that everything in the car works harmoniously with the driver (you). You get in, and it just feels right to drive regardless of speed.

Granted it needs to zoom, but it doesn't need to devastate the road beneath it every time you start from zero.

At least, that's what I take it for. And I'm more often happy with their products than not.
      11-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
have you driven any of those cars? my dad has the V8 R8 and my neighbour has the V10 R8 and unless you are on the racetrack you cant feel a difference. the V8 actually sounds better, and the V10 has alot more pickup after 4500-5000rpm . and since you are comparing the LP to the V10 R8, just becasue they have the same motor doesnt meet they are in direct competition with one another. the LP560 has a much harsher ride, stiffer clutch and less ground clearance at approach angles. the R8 can be driven as a daily driver, and the LP560 is a bit of a nuisance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

The R8 is pure sex in either version. I think BMW should make a new M1 halo car. That would be badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Why not?

Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S

I agree. why not.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #21
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
The R8 is pure sex in either version. I think BMW should make a new M1 halo car. That would be badass.
a super M1 as bmw's halo car? Sounds good to me.
Appreciate 0