BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

11-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Flumazenil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MW M3

Detailers and Paint Correction Expert Help, Please

Picked up my new MW M3 and noticed a small pimple which looked like a piece of dirt was painted over and was popping through. Dealer tried to fix it and it came out like this with a swirl around the defect. The swirl bothers me more than the original defect. I can't feel it so it's under the clear. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Thanks!

Forgot photo attachment!
Attached Images

Last edited by Flumazenil; 11-13-2010 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot Photo
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Hrm, that looks odd.

So the halo wasn't there prior to the dealership touching it? Did they tell you what they did when they tried to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Flumazenil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
Hrm, that looks odd.

So the halo wasn't there prior to the dealership touching it? Did they tell you what they did when they tried to fix it?
Yeah, the halos where not there before. The sales manager did mark the areas with a grease stick, but that should not have caused the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Hard to tell from pics. I'd find out if they wet sanded it. Could me damage from improper wet sand.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

I haven't seen anything like this before. Is it possibly touch-up? If so, you can use lacquer thinner to remove it / prep the area for proper inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

It looks to me like they tried to water sand the spot and broke through the clear. The halo you are seeing is the extra paint they put on the area to fill in the low spot and hide their mistake. Trying to make this kind of repair with wet sand paper is not easy....... a wet sanding block is much more effective for small spot repairs since they don't leave low spots. In all honesty I only fool proof way to repair the car now is to refinsh the entire panel....... since the area has been sanded on already sanding more and trying to level the high spot will result in further damage.

Many in-experienced detailers do more damage trying to repair paint defects than good.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 11-16-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

If it was sanded through and recleared, just test the paint depth. If it comes back thicker(usually resprays come back much thicker than stock paint) than the surrounding areas, they resprayed it and I would not be happy with that at all. That would be a sorry job.

I have a client's BRAND NEW 2011 35d x5 for clear bra in the shop and noticed more than a few of these spots where contaminants made its way into the paint while it was sprayed. What is going on at BMW?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
If it was sanded through and recleared, just test the paint depth. If it comes back thicker(usually resprays come back much thicker than stock paint) than the surrounding areas, they resprayed it and I would not be happy with that at all. That would be a sorry job.

I have a client's BRAND NEW 2011 35d x5 for clear bra in the shop and noticed more than a few of these spots where contaminants made its way into the paint while it was sprayed. What is going on at BMW?
The reason for the high spot is that it is just touch-up paint that has been brushed on, sanded down and polished to make it blend ...... they definitely didn't reclear.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to try and re-repair a repair like this before....... Although it could probably be made to look quite a bit better I think a brand new M3 deserves a proper repair. The vehicle I was working on was a 1996 GMC Sierra 4x4....... not quite the same as an M3.

You are right though, this is happening quite a bit with BMW's lately. My 2011 M3 had a few black spots in the clear on the right front fender, sideskirt and right front door. I was very upset to say the least, fortunately I was able to lightly wet sand and polish the areas back to 100%. Thank god I prepped my car myself (I told the dealer if they washed my car I would not buy it)..... if the dealer had noticed the spots and tried to repair them they probably would have ruined my beautiful Moonstone paint.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 11-16-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0