BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

Keeping seats clean on FR

So, being my first post, I'd like to say hello to everyone in the M world! A little background info, I'm 24, live in SoCal and currently drive a '06 Saleen (glass roof, S/C w/ shaker, cat delete, 550hp JDM stage III, yada yada..). Wanted to try an M so I decided on a '12 mineral white w/ fox red lease. Has every option including competition package. I should have it by next weekend. It's going to be a night and day difference to my Saleen which is LOUD and FAST! But not quite as luxorious as the M. Plus I sit in stop and go traffic twice a day, and my Saleen is a 5spd so wanted to try the DCT for comfort. I do a lot of mechanical work, and I'm curious as to the best way to keep the seats clean as I have grease and oil on me frequently. I know this is blasphemy to even consider driving this car under those conditions, but as much of a car enthusiast as I am I don't idolize them, and I get them to DRIVE! Originally I was going to throw down a towel to sit on but I'm wondering if there's a more subtle approach, possibly seat covers? Thanks guys, can't wait to drive an M for the first time!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
//M Powered
Rep
Drives: 09silvstone metallic w/red fox

Leather cleaner/conditioner

I have fox red interior as well and use chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner. This stuff works wonders. This leather cleaner is colorless, scent less, and pH balanced for leather. It doesn't leave behind any greasy residue and drys almost instantly. Best part is that it has this funny way of bringing back that new OEM leather smell. Check their products out at chemicalguys.com
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Look up Martin D he's a sponsor on here and sells Auto Finesse products from the UK. You'll want the Hide Cleaner and Conditioner, I'm always trying out new things and currently these along with their total interior APC are at the top of my list.....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92

There's going to be many opinions on which cleaner/conditioner combo to use and most suggestions will work fine. But what you should be focusing on is how often to use them considering you're going to be bringing in grease.

My prefer leatherique or leather master
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

3-Step Leather Care

Unless a Premium Leather option was purchased the type of leather upholstery used by ~ 95% of OEM is a multi stratum covering over the leather hide; the top strata is the surface pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane.

Premium leather has a recognizable fragrance that is missing from polyurethane and plastic. Simple cleaning, hydration and protection are the steps that will prolong the life of finished leather.

1. Clean - there are two cleaning-related factors that can cause your leather to wear prematurely. The first is dirt, and the second is oil, combined they become very abrasive, as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear

2. Hydrated – when leather tanner’s talk about conditioning leather they are referring to its moisture content, re-hydration is used to restore or maintain fluid balance (transpiration and evaporation of moisture); not the replenishment or replacement of the fat liquoring, oils and / or waxes.

3. Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish as a sacrificial layer; this way you are not actually cleaning the Leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. It also makes dirt easier to clean off

Leather Master™ Leather Degreaser - an aerosol product for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather.

This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.

“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Look up Martin D he's a sponsor on here and sells Auto Finesse products from the UK. You'll want the Hide Cleaner and Conditioner, I'm always trying out new things and currently these along with their total interior APC are at the top of my list.....
Thanks a lot Zach

All are getting rave reviews on Detailing World...

Hide Leather Cleanser is a gentle but effective cleaner for all types of modern leather upholstery.

Hide Leather Conditioner is a rich protection barrier cream for modern leather interiors designed to leave a natural finish.

Total Interior Cleaner is an all purpose cleaner that can cope with the toughest
of jobs but its gentle enough for regular use on plastic, fabric & vinyl.

Spritz is an anti static UV protectant detailer for interior plastics, that does
not affect or alter the finish of trim, for a natural look.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Waiting for what's left of my Leatherique to run out so I can buy some Auto Finesse stuff

I really do like the Leatherique though, it isn't very cheap, but it leaves my interior looking as good as new.
      06-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Waiting for what's left of my Leatherique to run out so I can buy some Auto Finesse stuff
I like the way you are thinking
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
how about carrying a second set of cloth as well. That way you can wear them whenever driving back home.
I used to work for starbucks long time ago. I used to carry a second set of shoes to drive with in my 'ol ZHP.
just an idea. Congrats on your new car.
Appreciate 0