BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Boosted_Brian
United_States
Rep
Drives: It moves

Engine Break In (Opposite of what the manual says)

Engine Break-In

Not sure if this is a repost if it is my apologizes. If you have been hanging around cars for more than 20 minutes, you have probably read this in some form or another. I can personally say that I never taken it easy on any car off the lot.

First example: 2002 RSX Type S, Straight off the lot, 1st gear to 8,300 rpm then back down to idle. Then 2nd, 3rd 4th, and so on. (I did change the oil at 200 miles, and then again at 700, then there after, normal maintenance schedule was followed.) The car in stock form always dynoed approx 8 to 10 HP more than other stock RSX's Maybe a coincidence, but it defiantly didn't hurt it.

After about 15K miles, the car was turbo charged on a stock motor, 11:1 compression, running 12 psi daily, producing 320 hp, only the clutch was upgraded. (The motor was never opened. No head gaskets, head stud etc.) Never had a motor problem. Lasted till the day I sold it 160K+ miles

Second example: 2008 TL Type-s. Same thing, off the lot, rev'ing the car to redline in ever gear. This car was never dyno'd. (Lets be honest, its a pig. It was my "rebuilding my driving record, lower my insurance, dont get pulled over every day, car" ) However, was always quicker than other stock TL-S's (Mine had no mods and was auto, so good driver mod is irrelevant) Typically always a "rolling" comparison.

I'd like to hear other peoples opinions. I have no personal "proof" that it worked "better" I just have my own experience which for whatever reason seemed to favor the break in outlined above.

So have it guys....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Please God, not another one of these threads.
      07-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Boosted_Brian
United_States
Rep
Drives: It moves

Sorry to open up the can of worms, feel free to lock it down or delete it.

I understand why so many people would be against this method. If you just spent 60+ on a car, why take the risk. I completely get it. But after seeing several engine builds that go straight to the dyno, put down 800+ then race for an entire season with no issues. It makes you wonder how much merit the dealer recommend break in really holds.

In most professional Motorsports engines don't go through a "break in" under load.

Last edited by Boosted_Brian; 07-26-2010 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0