BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

03-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

college kid here

poker
basketball now and then
run (for my own health)
hang out with friends
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #24
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
How are the meets out in Phoenix? Perhaps organize one and you can meet people with similar interests?

What field of work are you in?
Are you creative? Any old hobbies you can do? (I'm not artistic at all haha)
Yeah, I do go to the meets like once a month, so I have met a few people through that. I work as a graphic designer, and do work with some cool people. They just all have a wife and kids they're busy with. I did think about picking up more freelance design work; but that's just more money, and doesn't get me out and doing stuff.
I just don't feel like I'm productive since all I do is work and get together with friends for dinner, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Twins separated at birth.. (I'm 19 however..)
Played hockey for a few years and then the league shut down.. I miss it a lot, but not many places close to where I live..
Snowboarded for two years and then got tired of it.
Started getting into bass, but my wrist would hurt when I would play since I broke it.

Heh.. I thought older people were a bit slower in hockey as well until I played with them a few times.. You should at least go to one of their scrimmage's to see what they are about.

Currently.. I started working out MWF with my brother and a friend for about an hour, we plan to get some sparring gear and clear Wednesday to go at it for a while.
Other than that I mainly chill on the computer, go to college, watch a bit of t.v., and hang out with friends.

Me and a couple of friends started a little dodge ball type league. We usually just call everyone up around 10pm or so whenever we want to play, everyone meets up and we go at it for 2 or so hours. Usually teams of 6-8, but we haven't played as much since the janitors found out we were using their Elementary Gym. We play occasionally now at some fenced in tennis courts, but with the gym we were playing at least 3 times a week.

You should check out Ultimate Frisbee as well.. Really fun and active, and should fill up about 2-3 hours in a day. Once again, we started it up because we had nothing better to do.

Socialize and get a group of friends to do stuff with.

-Nathan
haha, wow, that's pretty funny Nathan.

I stopped in at one of the hockey shops (probably the only one out here) on the way home from work on Friday. The guys there did make a good point. There are a lot of retired pro/semi-pro players out here who do nothing but skate and golf. So the leagues should be pretty competitive. I think I'll have my gear fed-ex'd down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
I agree.

I know you aren't too fond of the MT schools in your area (@OP) but perhaps you can meet some people there. There's a MT school in my area, if you're single, you'd like their cardio kickboxing class.
Joining a gym's a good idea. I head to the one at my apartment complex 3-4 times a week; but most days I'm the only one in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2kta View Post
You're kidding right??

You can do outdoor sports all year long!! See those big brown hilly things in every direction you look? Those are mountains. Hike them! Phx has the second most MMA gyms in the nation (Las Vegas #1). There is every pro sporting team you could want. There are millions of golf courses. There are two 1/4 mile tracks that are decent. There are several racing leagues (pro solo II, etc.) From your "hobbies" it sounds like you grew up in the northeast or midwest. Adapt. When in Rome....

Seriously, there is so much you can do. The only thing that holds me back from doing more is time and money.
I don't know about "outdoor sports all year long"
When it's June-August, it's too damn hot to do anything but sit in the pool all day.

I do have to get out and go hiking, and before winter a few friends and I were making the drive up to Prescott every month or so. Golfing is a good call, especially since I live on a course.
Like you said. Time and money are the restraints. I work all week, then bartend on the weekends, so my time is limited to weeknights and Sunday afternoon. Trying to find something I enjoy that gives me the most bang for my buck in a sense.
      03-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #25
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
Haha Kiemyster I was kidding

I don't think there's anyone on this board who doesn't know what you do for fun!
ahaha i know i know but seeing that ur from jersey, i decided to pass some knowledge to you, even though u probably wont need it
      03-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #26
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

you need more friends with common interests.

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #27
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

I run 3 miles a day, play pool with friends, drink occasionally and just hang out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #28
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

i used to play billiards a few years ago, i just recently started playing again. its really fun and its a good activity to do with friends. one of my friends really wants to get good, so im teaching him the basics. i also just started to hit the gym with the same friend. a nice game of poker with the guys is really fun, too
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #29
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

A few of the things I like to do:

Bicycling- (Mountain,Downhill and Road) Started when I was 3 years old. Raced semi pro when I was in my early 20's. And now I own the family business of selling bicycles.

Shooting- Picked up a AR15 recently and love my H&K USP .40

Golf- Picked up the game a couple years ago, and really enjoy my time out on the range and the course. Spend most of my free time at the golf course.

And playing games with my kids!!

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #30
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Start playing adult league hockey. I play 5-7 times a week here, and it is a blast. There are so many guys floating around town who played in college, alumni of all age and levels, that the level of play is phenomenal.

So maybe you'll get out there and skate circles around some people, but honestly, who cares. Play some defense and be the backbone of your team. You'll build a lot of friends fast (especially the goalies), and I'm sure there will be enough other people to keep you challenged and working hard. The good part is you'l be getting good excercise, and meeting some great people. After our games Friday nights we all go out to a local pub and relax, even with the team we just spent an hour beating the crap out of... Everyone for the most part are really good people. It's been great getting to know everyone, shooting the shit, talking smack, etc - the usual locker room banter, and then the hockey has been awesome. It's very rewarding when you work your heart out as a team and succeed, even if its only adult league hockey..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #31
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

ride one of my 4 horses
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #32
derek0480
DROPPIN' LOADS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2007 335i coupe  [0.00]
Play Hockey or Golf.

Hey NMULAX - I saw you post somewhere that you went to NMU...I played hockey for Ferris State. Good times.

And yes I can just about guarantee that you'd be disappointed in the level of play you'll find in adult leagues unless you are in the upper midwest or northeast.
      03-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #33
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek0480 View Post
Play Hockey or Golf.

Hey NMULAX - I saw you post somewhere that you went to NMU...I played hockey for Ferris State. Good times.

And yes I can just about guarantee that you'd be disappointed in the level of play you'll find in adult leagues unless you are in the upper midwest or northeast.
:

There's incredible hockey up this way!! So many alumni from BU, Harvard, BC, Northeastern, all the other colleges in Boston.. Bruins alumni often skate in the adult hockey leagues as well.. I have come to find that Boston is a huge hockey town - there is definitely a lot of talent around..

But yeah, +1
Hockey and golf FTW..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #34
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I assume no GF or Wife to keep you busy?

In the very little spare time I have I enjoy working out, working on my house and on the weekends going out for a few cocktails. Pretty simple but keeps me sane.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #35
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
1. tennis
2. golf
3. driving (canyon runs)
      03-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #36
Scottz71
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F25 X3 - Space Grey

Garage List
1. ice hockey
2. no-limit poker
3. travel
'07 E92 335i - Space Gray (Brock) retired
'15 i3 REx Giga World - Capparis White (Randy) retired
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #37
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i do a hell of a lot of clay shooting, keeps me happy and u you get a good kick off the gun too,i could of shot for the southwest of england years ago but it ment taking more of my time shooting, but i need to work, have a go,
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #38
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
ill tell u what i do for fun.......Drive my bimmer, and i guess everybody is with me on that one hehe.
For fun:
-soccer (maybe go pro who knows)
-hand out with friends
-basketball
-workout......sometime
-going to mcDees ....but stopped doing that , im eating healthy food .
-e90post .....im serious
-snowboarding
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #39
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Start playing adult league hockey. I play 5-7 times a week here, and it is a blast. There are so many guys floating around town who played in college, alumni of all age and levels, that the level of play is phenomenal.

So maybe you'll get out there and skate circles around some people, but honestly, who cares. Play some defense and be the backbone of your team. You'll build a lot of friends fast (especially the goalies), and I'm sure there will be enough other people to keep you challenged and working hard. The good part is you'l be getting good excercise, and meeting some great people. After our games Friday nights we all go out to a local pub and relax, even with the team we just spent an hour beating the crap out of... Everyone for the most part are really good people. It's been great getting to know everyone, shooting the shit, talking smack, etc - the usual locker room banter, and then the hockey has been awesome. It's very rewarding when you work your heart out as a team and succeed, even if its only adult league hockey..
Yeah, I think getting back out on the ice will be the best choice.
Snowboarding is just too costly for the little time I'd have for it. It'd be different if I was somewhere Like Colorado or the Northwest; but in Phoenix... it's just not worth the money.

Plus hockey would work with my schedule, playing once or twice a week after work. I'm actually a goaltender, so the biggest frustration is going from fast/competitive play, to some people who can barely muster a strong shot from the hash marks. But from the sounds of it; there's the talent out here, it's just finding the right rink/league. Hell, I shouldn't be too worried, because having been off the ice for a while, it'll take me some time to get back to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
I assume no GF or Wife to keep you busy?

In the very little spare time I have I enjoy working out, working on my house and on the weekends going out for a few cocktails. Pretty simple but keeps me sane.
No wife and no serious gf, so I force myself to keep some space.