BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Angry OMG! Driving while high!!!???

jesus! ohh my great god! what has the world come to?! now its all coming to an end as an army of pot smoking drivers hit the streets while they are superlikdripped?!?!?!? HOLY SHIT!

hah. just fuckin wit u.

anyways, to a serious note: a while ago, someone posted a thread showing how while you drive high, your skills are not essentially impared. i meant to give an answer that was non biased, and not my opinion. here it is.

To date, “[The] role of drugs as a causal factor in traffic crashes involving drug-positive drivers is still not well understood.”6 While some studies have indicated that illicit drug use is associated with an increased risk of accident, a relationship has not been established regarding the use of psychoactive substances and crash severity.7 Drivers under the influence of illicit drugs do experience an enhanced fatality risk compared to sober drivers. However, this risk is approximately three times lower than the fatality risk associated with drivers who operate a vehicle above or near the legal limit for alcohol intoxication.8 According to one recent review: “The risk of all drug-positive drivers compared to drug-free drivers is similar to drivers with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.05%. The risk is also similar to drivers above age 60 compared to younger drivers [around age 35].”9

Epidemiological research also indicates that cannabis is the most prevalent illicit drug detected in fatally injured drivers and motor vehicle crash victims.11 Reasons for this are twofold. One, pot is by far the most widely used illicit drug among the US population, with nearly one out of two Americans admitting having tried it.12 Two, marijuana is the most readily detectable illicit drug in toxicological tests. Marijuana’s primary psychoactive compound, THC, may be detected in blood for several hours, and in some extreme cases days after past use,13 long after any impairing effects have worn off. In addition, non-psychoactive byproducts of cannabis, known as metabolites, may be detected in the urine of regular users for days or weeks after past use.14 (Other common drugs of abuse, such as cocaine or methamphetamine, do not possess such long half-lives.) Therefore, pot’s prevalence in toxicological evaluations of US drivers does not necessarily indicate that it is a frequent or significant causal factor in auto accidents. Rather, its prevalence affirms that cannabis remains far more popular and is far more easily detectable on drug screening tests than other controlled substances.

While it is well established that alcohol consumption increases accident risk, evidence of marijuana’s culpability in on-road driving accidents and injury is far less clear. Although acute cannabis intoxication following smoking has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment is seldom severe or long lasting.15 In closed course and driving simulator studies, marijuana’s acute effects on psychomotor performance include minor impairments in tracking (eye movement control) and reaction time, as well as variation in lateral positioning, headway (drivers under the influence of cannabis tend to follow less closely to the vehicle in front of them), and speed (drivers tend to decrease speed following cannabis inhalation).16 In general, these variations in driving behavior are noticeably less consistent or pronounced than the impairments exhibited by subjects under the influence of alcohol.17 Also, unlike subjects impaired by alcohol, individuals under the influence of cannabis tend to be aware of their impairment and try to compensate for it accordingly, either by driving more cautiously18 or by expressing an unwillingness to drive altogether.19

Well. there you go. Stolen from http://www.NORML.org

The numbers are the sources, which have all been hyperlinked to the appropriate page where you can verify the facts.
      03-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quentin Wilson from the older Fifth Gear team did a test on this...marijuana vs alcohol impairment and the results were surprising...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
Quentin Wilson from the older Fifth Gear team did a test on this...marijuana vs alcohol impairment and the results were surprising...
yeah. thats the thing. people have been exposed to lies, and they constantly are being bullshitted by their governments. so when you see hard proof that its not even a 1/10 fraction as deadly as its always been portrayed, people are always in disbelief and classify the tests as "invalid".

as Clive Owen sais: "eye fuhkin' ate vaat!!!"
      03-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

still don't do it... not worth it if someone hits you either.
be socially responsible. If you're going to hit the blunt, do it at home and out of harms way for others. Think of it this way, if you had a child, would you want him to smoke and drive?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
still don't do it... not worth it if someone hits you either.
be socially responsible. If you're going to hit the blunt, do it at home and out of harms way for others. Think of it this way, if you had a child, would you want him to smoke and drive?
ahh. i should have said that ahah. yeah, really, i dont care what the facts are. honestly, never drive when your stoned. The intention of this is not to promote stoned driving, but merely a defence in the fight of marijuana law reform.

here, im eliminating the "myth" that marijuana is comparable to alcohol while driving. just one less thing on the ohh so long list of marijuana propaganda that the gov't churns out.

Dont drink and drive, smoke n flyyyyy
      03-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
However, this risk is approximately three times lower than the fatality risk associated with drivers who operate a vehicle above or near the legal limit for alcohol intoxication

^^and that justifies legalization?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
However, this risk is approximately three times lower than the fatality risk associated with drivers who operate a vehicle above or near the legal limit for alcohol intoxication

^^and that justifies legalization?
no sir. but i remember reading a (bs) article in the papers that the govt. claimed that driving stoned is a LEADING CAUSE of accidents. here, im just pointing out that its no where as dangerous, and the fact that it stays in a persons system for 20-45 days. so therefore, it rules out that aspect. (well, unless u wanna be a hardass)

edit: not from the govt, but that BS "for a drug free america" company, endorsed/sponsored by the us gov't.
      03-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I don't see why it should be illegal anyways...I mean...people would make it into less of a deal if it wasn't such a "rebellious" thing to do (hinting at retarded teens that'll do anything that's breaking the law).

I've done it once. No big deal. I know you don't really get much of a high like you would after multiple uses, but still. The shit's not addicting nor is it really bad for you.

Ciggarettes are what you have to look out for. I'd never smoke a cig.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I don't see why it should be illegal anyways...I mean...people would make it into less of a deal if it wasn't such a "rebellious" thing to do (hinting at retarded teens that'll do anything that's breaking the law).

I've done it once. No big deal. I know you don't really get much of a high like you would after multiple uses, but still. The shit's not addicting nor is it really bad for you.

roflol i always beat up or fucked with the kids who were "posers".

ahaha brings me back to good times. i knew a bunch of people who claimed they are marijuana guru's, and they have probably never seen more than 1o of herb. you know who are the posers because they are the ones getting ripped off ahahahaha roflol good fucking times ahahaha
      03-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post

i dunno i see it both ways. if you make it more accessible, it might not be abused as much... but then again if you make it illegal, it might also not be abused as much.

it is a big deal because your teaching your kids that drugs and alcohol are okay. initially we are taught that because most kids don't understand the concept of moderation... its either YES or NO... and even as we get older some people still dont understand moderation and that will lead them to their own downfalls...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

I LOVE smoking and then going for cruises down PCH to newport and back. Though I've NEVER driven drunk or buzzed on alcohol and will never do so, I've driven high MANY times. If anything, it actually slaps some sense into me. I find myself telling myself some calming things like "come on man....just drive normal, dont make yourself look like a jack ass, endanger others, and risk getting your car keyed by someone you pissed off, or getting a ticket."

I used to be afraid of the fact that I was driving high, and frowned upon myself. But day after day of testing this out for myself, I've seen that marijuana does not effect my ability to properly, safely, and cautiously drive. And on top of that, it causes me to focus even more on my driving and music. Since one of the effects that marijuana has on me is the "makes everything cool and interesting factor," I'm focused and really into my driving. Both hands on the wheel, paying attention to the road as far as my eyes can see, checking my mirrors every few seconds, viewing the left and right side of a cross walk AT ALL TIMES as im approaching them, always looking for pedestrians as a light turns green and im making a right turn at a corner, accelerating and decelerating smoothly, signaling for turns, paying attention to traffic lights and so on. I do it all while I drive, and more so when I'm high.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i dunno i see it both ways. if you make it more accessible, it might not be abused as much... but then again if you make it illegal, it might also not be abused as much.

it is a big deal because your teaching your kids that drugs and alcohol are okay. initially we are taught that because most kids don't understand the concept of moderation... its either YES or NO... and even as we get older some people still dont understand moderation and that will lead them to their own downfalls...
yes, but youths may see the law in a negitive light, loosing their confidence in their government, which can source many issues in modern day societies and communities. see my point?
      03-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
I used to be afraid of the fact that I was driving high, and frowned upon myself. But day after day of testing this out for myself, I've seen that marijuana does not effect my ability to properly, safely, and cautiously drive. And on top of that, it causes me to focus even more on my driving and music. Since one of the effects that marijuana has on me is the "makes everything cool and interesting factor," I'm focused and really into my driving. Both hands on the wheel, paying attention to the road as far as my eyes can see, checking my mirrors every few seconds, viewing the left and right side of a cross walk AT ALL TIMES as im approaching them, always looking for pedestrians as a light turns green and im making a right turn at a corner, accelerating and decelerating smoothly, signaling for turns, paying attention to traffic lights and so on. I do it all while I drive, and more so when I'm high.
ohh yeah. When i first started driving, and i went on the highway in florida (the 441), i was scared shitless. i was so uptight about it. i always frowned upon driving with a lil herb in my system. but one night, i was put into a position where everyone who could have driven was fuckin drunk, and i had to drive high on the 441. wow. ill never forget it, i was in the fuckin zone. i swear, it was like the only thing that i could have focused on was the road! after that, i took the car to a open lot, and started testing my parking skills, maneuvering, and whatnot. had my buddy spectate (sober) to evaluate me, and it was impossible to tell the difference. hell, i probably drove better ahaha
      03-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

What about driving while sleepy?
      03-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
yes, but youths may see the law in a negitive light, loosing their confidence in their government, which can source many issues in modern day societies and communities. see my point?
no i dont... youths see law in a negative light and losing confidence in their government leads to drug use? i don't think government spawns drug use... i think its the environment the individual is in... which causes drug use. and by environment im talking less about society and more about the localized interaction among people be it teachers, friends, family, people you see on the street etc.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
^^^

were not finished... ill get back to u wen i get home.
      03-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #17
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
no i dont... youths see law in a negative light and losing confidence in their government leads to drug use? i don't think government spawns drug use... i think its the environment the individual is in... which causes drug use. and by environment im talking less about society and more about the localized interaction among people be it teachers, friends, family, people you see on the street etc.
I agree with this. I never smoked because non of my friends did. The first time I smoked was after living with a roommate that smoked a lot for over a year. It has a lot to do with environment and the company you keep.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I agree with this. I never smoked because non of my friends did. The first time I smoked was after living with a roommate that smoked a lot for over a year. It has a lot to do with environment and the company you keep.
Your both thinking about this in micro perspective........

Kiemyster is talking about the nation as a whole, and the psychology behind the human mind. The simplest way to understand it and the two best examples I can think of off the top of my head are these:

In europe, for example and particularly in Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands, women's breasts have not become as forbidden as they have in the USA. Women line the beaches of europe topless, advertisements on television are not afraid of exposing breasts, and there is no censorship against them. Therefore, psychologically, people have become used to them for they are readily available and seen all over the place. Versus here in the USA where breasts have become "tits" and "boobs" and to see a set of breasts you have to have a g/f, look at porn, or go to a topless bar. They are also censored and banned from all public use. So now, since its more taboo and more difficult to obtain women's breasts in the USA, the natural human psyche takes over and creates a more vivid and lustful feeling towards something that is rather meaningless in Europe (since its readily available in Europe).

Or take weed and the Netherlands for another example. Weed is so easily obtainable and readily available that people no longer create an aura of taboo and need for it. Versus here in the USA where people make it a bigger deal then it is because its not legal.

So basically, and in laymen terms, something illegal and taboo will attract a lot of people to it because of that. Versus when something is common and thought nothing of, people are less likely to go over board with it. Now, in a micro point of view, I can understand how people's friends and environment can influence their tendencies to smoke. But not when we're talking about the government and it's effect on the nation's psyche as a whole.

**EDIT** The problem with Americans and Europeans are that they are raised different. IMO, Europeans can handle having things like marijuana and women's breast be legal. But Americans are all about more, bigger, better, and so on. So based on the different mentalities, I think Americans are the type of people who would abuse something more if it were made legal, versus Europeans who know how not to go over board with certain things.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #19
Kiemyster
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Garage List
^^^

thanks buddey. you saved me the pain of having to write that myself. good vibes bonnah
      03-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #20
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^^

thanks buddey. you saved me the pain of having to write that myself. good vibes bonnah
no problem man hah

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Your both thinking about this in micro perspective........

Kiemyster is talking about the nation as a whole, and the psychology behind the human mind. The simplest way to understand it and the two best examples I can think of off the top of my head are these:

In europe, for example and particularly in Spain, Italy, and the Netherlands, women's breasts have not become as forbidden as they have in the USA. Women line the beaches of europe topless, advertisements on television are not afraid of exposing breasts, and there is no censorship against them. Therefore, psychologically, people have become used to them for they are readily available and seen all over the place. Versus here in the USA where breasts have become "tits" and "boobs" and to see a set of breasts you have to have a g/f, look at porn, or go to a topless bar. They are also censored and banned from all public use. So now, since its more taboo and more difficult to obtain women's breasts in the USA, the natural human psyche takes over and creates a more vivid and lustful feeling towards something that is rather meaningless in Europe (since its readily available in Europe).

Or take weed and the Netherlands for another example. Weed is so easily obtainable and readily available that people no longer create an aura of taboo and need for it. Versus here in the USA where people make it a bigger deal then it is because its not legal.

So basically, and in laymen terms, something illegal and taboo will attract a lot of people to it because of that. Versus when something is common and thought nothing of, people are less likely to go over board with it. Now, in a micro point of view, I can understand how people's friends and environment can influence their tendencies to smoke. But not when we're talking about the government and it's effect on the nation's psyche as a whole.

**EDIT** The problem with Americans and Europeans are that they are raised different. IMO, Europeans can handle having things like marijuana and women's breast be legal. But Americans are all about more, bigger, better, and so on. So based on the different mentalities, I think Americans are the type of people who would abuse something more if it were made legal, versus Europeans who know how not to go over board with certain things.
Thank you for writing down everything that I was too lazy to type.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
ohh yeah. When i first started driving, and i went on the highway in florida (the 441), i was scared shitless. i was so uptight about it. i always frowned upon driving with a lil herb in my system. but one night, i was put into a position where everyone who could have driven was fuckin drunk, and i had to drive high on the 441. wow. ill never forget it, i was in the fuckin zone. i swear, it was like the only thing that i could have focused on was the road! after that, i took the car to a open lot, and started testing my parking skills, maneuvering, and whatnot. had my buddy spectate (sober) to evaluate me, and it was impossible to tell the difference. hell, i probably drove better ahaha
People like you make me scared to drive on public roads.

Eventually you'll convince yourself you can drive drunk.

If you smoke a lot, and drive, your skills are going to be fucked up, and so is your decision making.

If you smoke a little and drive, is it manageable? Yes. I don't doubt that at all. The effects of drinking on driving are much worse than smoking, I'm not going to deny it. But it all depends on how much you take in.

When you are risking other people's lives, it is not worth it. Smoke at home, wherever, wait until the high dies and then drive.

Note: I have no problem with chiefing. The only thing that deters me from wanting to believe it should be legal is people that will abuse it and drive after they've smoked themselves retarded, just like people who drive drunk
Appreciate 0