BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
InterJon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

ABS/DSC Track Malfunction - Running without ABS

Had an awesome session at Barber yesterday. Around one-half way through second session I get an ABS/DSC malfunction. The error would not reset. I checked fluid, brakes and everything appeared fine. I continued to run another two sessions without ABS (this took some getting used to) and DSC (which I do not run with anyway). The error (which shows brake light and ABS) continues. Other than no ABS or DSC, car drives great.

I am running APEX 18x10 with NT01s and PFC 08s. All else, other than fluid, is OEM hardware.

Anyone had a similar issue and/or know the problem? (I searched and could find nothing similar). I suspect I cooked the ABS sensor or wheel-speed indicator.

A second question, anyone intentionally run without ABS? I took me a while to get used to true threshold braking, but, once I warmed up to it, I like it. I saw where some of the e46 guys intentionally defeated the feature, by pulling a fuse. Anyone do or thought of doing something similar with their e92?

As always, thanks in advance.

Last edited by InterJon; 04-13-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I've seen this happen in other cars when the brake fluid is not full. Is your fluid at the max line?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I've seen this happen in other cars when the brake fluid is not full. Is your fluid at the max line?
I wouldn't recommend running with it all the way at max, especially if you're not running brand new pads. If you do, retracting pistons or even hard use at the track that heats the fluid can cause fluid to be ejected from the reservoir. The vacuum booster sensor can be damaged by brake fluid and cause a limp mode, and unfortunately that sensor is directly under the brake fluid reservoir. Ask me how I know.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I wouldn't recommend running with it all the way at max, especially if you're not running brand new pads. If you do, retracting pistons or even hard use at the track that heats the fluid can cause fluid to be ejected from the reservoir. The vacuum booster sensor can be damaged by brake fluid and cause a limp mode, and unfortunately that sensor is directly under the brake fluid reservoir. Ask me how I know.
How? Just kidding!!!
OP, which event was this?? I was told that Barber is a very fun track!! Went to TGPR few weeks ago and that track was fun but extremly harsh on brake / tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Ideally you bleed or top off the reservoir when you put in new brake pads front and rear. Leave it there...you shouldn't ever have a level issue.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterJon View Post
Had an awesome session at Barber yesterday. Around one-half way through second session I get an ABS/DSC malfunction. The error would not reset. I checked fluid, brakes and everything appeared fine. I continued to run another two sessions without ABS (this took some getting used to) and DSC (which I do not run with anyway). The error (which shows brake light and ABS) continues. Other than no ABS or DSC, car drives great.

I am running APEX 18x10 with NT01s and PFC 08s. All else, other than fluid, is OEM hardware.

Anyone had a similar issue and/or know the problem? (I searched and could find nothing similar). I suspect I cooked the ABS sensor or wheel-speed indicator.

A second question, anyone intentionally run without ABS? I took me a while to get used to true threshold braking, but, once I warmed up to it, I like it. I saw where some of the e46 guys intentionally defeated the feature, by pulling a fuse. Anyone do or thought of doing something similar with their e92?

As always, thanks in advance.
I had the ABS/DSC malfunction light come on right after I had the alignment and wheel balancing done last week but they went away with a reboot/restart. Not sure why yours would persist, sounds like a wheel sensing problem, given that your brakes mechanically worked OK.

It was good to meet you on Sunday, Jonathan. A great weekend for sure!

-Bill

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Sounds like what happened to me a couple of years ago - replaced the speed sensor and that fixed it up in my case.

It happened during a long straight and when I tapped the brakes it locked the wheels up which made it interesting when slowing from 260 km/h

PS - Love Barber, was there last Thurs/Friday with Porsche for the first time and was fortunate to have Hurley Haywood show us the track and line - doesn't get any better than that!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
InterJon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
I had the ABS/DSC malfunction light come on right after I had the alignment and wheel balancing done last week but they went away with a reboot/restart. Not sure why yours would persist, sounds like a wheel sensing problem, given that your brakes mechanically worked OK.

It was good to meet you on Sunday, Jonathan. A great weekend for sure!

-Bill
Nice to meet you. I hate we never had an opportunity to run together. I saw you once across the way, and you looked quick. 1:42s in an e92 is blazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Weird.

Mine turned off but it was because the track was hot and I melted my street tires (Michelin PSS) and so I was spinning the rear tires in every gear. When that happens, ABS/DSC malfunctions temporarily.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0