BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #23
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I have google maps as well on my Curve. Just as convenient.
Ok, I didn't mean to compare it to your phone and say that one is better than the other... I was just stating why I like my phone. Although, i'm sure the way that you use google maps is slightly different without the same touch screen interface. I guess size and design is also a factor that some people don't take into consideration.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #24
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
if your phone is for work, go with the blackberry

if it's for play, iPhone.
+1, that and my company is strict with security and won't allow company email to be sent to any phone other than a blackberry
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #25
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

unlocking the iPhone is soo easy. If you have the latest update 1.1.1. On your iPhone you go to www.jailbreakme.com install the app which takes like 2 mins.
And download anysim using the installer app.

I did all that on the train..on the way to work. Asked my colleague if i can borrow his sim on the train..and boom T-mobile.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

My blackberry 8800 is amazing. When the iphone gets gps (always having gps even on foot is great, I take it with me on runs and it records my actualy distance, instant/avg speed and ET), will allow me to tether through bluetooth to my macbook (slow but its faster than dial up but it works in a pinch and I don't get charged extra), and comes to t-mobile then I'll probably pick one up. Until then, the blackberry does everything I need and more, not to mention the battery life is the best out of any device I've ever used (except when the gps is on).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #27
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
if you buy the iphone you're more into style than functionality. The reason being that the Curve can play music and take pictures too. It also has most, if not all, the features that the iPhone has.

Those commercials that are like "every moning I grab my ipod, cell phone, and camera and head out the door. Now I just grab the iphone and I'm set" are BS.
and why is that BS? that's exactly what i used to carry around, and now i just carry around my phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have Verizon, and so do others I have on my family plan, so I haven't seriously considered the iPhone.

The BlackBerry runs circles around the Windows driven Treo 700, but I wonder if the iPhone will really be a step forward or backward for my business application of syncing appointments, keeping track of emails, etc. I love anything Apple-related, but feel that the keyboard on the iPhone is difficult to use, because my fingers seem too fat? Seriously, how do you guys not mess up when aiming for the letters? I also find it easier to scroll using submenus, a wheel, and buttons, rather than pointing and pushing on a flat screen that requires me to use two hands.

No doubt the iPhone is the coolest new device in the industry, but not sure it would be practical for me.
      11-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #29
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Check out Howard Forums, it's discussed quit a bit.

General consensus is the iphone is not a pda/work phone, the Blackberry and other devices similar to it are and can't be compared. Trying to remember off of my memory, the Blackberry allows for a lot more email options than the iphone.

I've played with the iphone, and it looks cool and is nice, but it's still not worth it. I'm just one of those people who can't buy into the hype of apple products outside of their ibooks. I've wanted one of them for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #30
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
and why is that BS? that's exactly what i used to carry around, and now i just carry around my phone.
It's BS before they're making it look like the iPhone is the ONLY one that is able to play music, take pictures and make calls. I mean phones like the Sony Ericsson K850i will take pictures that are 100x better than the iphone and it plays music pretty well too. Also, that "so you dont have to carry your cell, ipod, and camera around" gig was pitched toward a niche market.

Not trying to offend anyone here- just stating my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #31
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Theyre not saying that they can do it better than everyone, they are just stating that they CAN do it
      11-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have both the BB 8830 and Iphone. The iphone is nothing more than a basic phone with better GUI, sorry to say it but its more of a toy than anything else. I have an unlocked iphone but I mostly use it as an ipod and camera since my 8830 doesnt have a camera. Like you said you need to be connected with exchange thats the BB specialty.

Someone asked me one day why I dont go to the iphone full time and why I have two phones.. (iphone user). I told them pull our their iphone send 1 text message and 1 email to me and I will do the same. I was able to send 2 text messages by the time he got 1, I was able to send 4 emails before he got 1 out.

BB 8830 pros with iphone cons inserted.
Email always connected- it dosent take forever to send message, also on the iphone it takes a lot longer to send texts vs the BB.
Keyboard- yea you can text fast on the iphone but you cant beat me on my crackberry.
EVDO on the BB eats EDGE, its slow so it basically makes the iphones internet unusable if you dont have wi-fi. But when you have wi-fi safari is the best mobil web browser I have ever used.
Battery life--- no brainer BB easily surpasses the iphone.
GPS- comes in very handy
3rd party apps can be installed on the BB, my iphone is full of them but they have nothing useful besides games vs productivity tools for the BB.

Either phone is good, but when it comes down to business and a need for email and long battery life then the Blackberrys have that market tied down. The iphone was and is always going to be for consumers and not for business people.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #33
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Just wanted to add that I have had the treo 700p 755p, PPC 6800.

Treos are crap avoid them at all costs.

PPC 6800 runs windows mob 6, I hated every second I had to use WM, it was about as unstable as palm os. Once I switched to the BB I was in disbelief on how stable the OS is. On the treo I would have 2-3 crashes a day, WM about the same. BB I get maybe 1 crash a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #34
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Hmm... I guess it depends what you are doing when you are on edge, but I was skeptical about buying this phone because everyone was complaining about how slow edge was. Since I have gotten my phone the speed of edge really hasn't been an inconvenience yet... its no where near wi-fi speeds, but it loads fast enough to make web browsing fine IMO. Each page usually takes a few seconds to load, sometimes it will take 10 seconds, but most of the time its more like 5 or 6 seconds and its loaded. I guess it depends on your area also, but i'm in wilmington, NC, its not like its a major city or anything.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #35
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Hmm... I guess it depends what you are doing when you are on edge, but I was skeptical about buying this phone because everyone was complaining about how slow edge was. Since I have gotten my phone the speed of edge really hasn't been an inconvenience yet... its no where near wi-fi speeds, but it loads fast enough to make web browsing fine IMO. Each page usually takes a few seconds to load, sometimes it will take 10 seconds, but most of the time its more like 5 or 6 seconds and its loaded. I guess it depends on your area also, but i'm in wilmington, NC, its not like its a major city or anything.
Before I got my iphone one of my buddies had it and was talking about how fast EDGE was and how he tested at 40 something kbps.. I told him to go to any speed test site as we were eating lunch.. Showed me something in the 40's I ran the test on my BB 8830 and pulled over 1mbps.. I normally hit 1.2-1.8mbps on my phone.. But I will say the blackberry browser isnt that great but surfing the net on the BB with EVDO is much faster and better than surfing on an iphone with EDGE, but when the iphone has wi-fi its another story it runs circles around the BB. But again I can run all around town and while in a car on the freeway have constant high speed data, its even good enough that I use my BB to tether to my laptop and can watch streaming TV via my slingbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #36
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

what's tmobile like in Manhattan?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #37
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

OP Here...

Ideally, what i'd like to do is keep my BB for business and during the week, but get an Iphone for other times.

I'd like to keep moving one SIM back and forth between the two because I do not want a second phone number. Not sure if this is even possible, but on HowardForums somebody has said that if you simply activate the Iphone SIM and add the Blackberry Data package, it will work.

I also wish there was an easy way to get the Iphone to work with Exchange.

I wish the second generation iphone would come out sooner rather than later...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #38
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

I have a BB 8830 through Sprint at work and my wife has an iPhone.

I will echo what others have said on here. For work/business the BB wins hands down. Push e-mail, task management, and full keyboard are far better than on the iPhone.

iPhone is nice for casual business use and the iPod and camera functions are nice, but I would go nuts if I had to use it for business as my only device.

Also... 8830 has GPS navigation built in that works quite nicely. Plus EVDO speed is far better that lame EDGE on iPhone.

Now when they come out with an iPhone with GPS and a true 3G speed network and real task management, you might have something.

Even then, I think a real keyboard will always be better than the iPhone touch keyboard for heavy users.

Hope this helps you decide.
Appreciate 0