BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #111
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Curious... why? Why would you not "feel right" keeping the car with the brand new engine. Just because you would remember that it broke? Like my post above, I'm not meaning to be difficult but I don't get the whole "I had a mechanical issue... it was fixed... but give me a new car anyway" thought process. Again, if it were a RECURRING issue, then I completely agree. There is nothing to suggest his car with a new engine will be one bit less reliable than mine or yours.
Personally I'd rather have my engine installed at the factory, by someone who installs dozens a day vs. a dealership by someone who installs dozens in their career.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #112
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
There is a positive side to keeping the car with a replaced engine: warranty. Won't you be getting a 100,000 mile warranty as part of that replacement? Not sure what the fine print is if any, but I remember this being the case for the E46 rod bearing failure victims. If you can get a new car, do it. If not, don't sweat it. They will take care of you if anything comes up later.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #113
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Personally I'd rather have my engine installed at the factory, by someone who installs dozens a day vs. a dealership by someone who installs dozens in their career.
That is a good point and the only valid reason, IMO, to want a completely new car.

Problem is that it will be an impossible argument with BMW... "I don't trust the BMW techs to be competent in replacing my engine so give me a new car"... I would bet $100 it would go nowhere fast. Having said that, I can't say I wouldn't have the same worry.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #114
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:

Installing an engine is not a rocket science, literally.

All techs have to go through a retraining and re-certification with BMW every year, its a must of you want to continue working at a BMW. Plus a job this big, that may seem to some, will be given to a tech who is best qualified and with the most experience.

And suing because there was white smoke coming out is not going to fly. Who are you going to sue once the warranty runs out and one of your radiator hoses pops and you have white smoke coming out?? Think about it.

Lets say you do get a new car. Who's to say an engine wont blow up in a new car? And if it does, will you expect a new car again??

Under lemon law, you would get a new car if the engine blew up 3 times under factory warranty, but, you far from it to be near lemon law, or the laws that are similar to lemon law since you are in Canada.

Asking for a new car is laughable.

Last edited by KGB7; 08-11-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #115
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Curious... why? Why would you not "feel right" keeping the car with the brand new engine. Just because you would remember that it broke? Like my post above, I'm not meaning to be difficult but I don't get the whole "I had a mechanical issue... it was fixed... but give me a new car anyway" thought process. Again, if it were a RECURRING issue, then I completely agree. There is nothing to suggest his car with a new engine will be one bit less reliable than mine or yours.
I know what you mean, However, the memory of it all might just be an issue, we are not all the same. Once in BC way above MacKenzie I took the north route back home and on one of the back routes I hit a dear with my then 3 year old MB M Class (It was on a gravel road, a timber truck over took me since I was driving to slow for him and I was surrounded by dust then the dear came out from nowhere). I soon traded her in for a Jag. Perhaps that is why I posted like I did As I said we are all different and that's a good thing yes

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #116
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Although I completely understand the desire for a new car, does it make financial sense for BMW to give him a new car? Nope. Will they do it out of the goodness of their heart...? I don't think so.

It's like someone who buys a car. Big accident. Needs lots of repairs. Car not totalled because... car is a high-priced car and is still worth more than the repair bill.

Owner can't drive the car any more because of the memory of the accident. Owner can't sell the car because no one wants to buy a car that was in such a big accident. Owner stuck with car. Will the insurance company give him a new car for his peace of mind? I don't think so...

That said, I *hope* OP can work out a deal to get a new car in some way (maybe "trade in" this car for a new car??), without it costing him too much. I think I'd want the same thing.
      08-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #117
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
Installing an engine is not a rocket science, literally.
Neither is installing a tire, doing an alignment, getting your oil changed, getting your tranny or diff serviced. How many times have people complained about it not being done properly? I happen to trust my dealer enough to have them do it. But this guy, JUST got his car and the motor blew. If I were a manager at BMW and this landed on my desk, I would give him a new car and win a customer for life.

Quote:
All techs have to go through a retraining and re-certification with BMW every year, its a must of you want to continue working at a BMW. Plus a job this big, that may seem to some, will be given to a tech who is best qualified and with the most experience.
I would agree that a well run shop should assign a senior tech.

Quote:
And suing because there was white smoke coming out is not going to fly. Who are you going to sue once the warranty runs out and one of your radiator hoses pops and you have white smoke coming out?? Think about it.
Who are you telling to think? I said nothing about him suing for a blown motor that is covered by the warranty. I said if there is any case to be made, it is that the car has less value because the motor blew and was changed. The same way a car which has been in a major accident, but fully repaired, has a decreased value. I went on to say that establishing what this decrease in value actually is will likely prove difficult.

Quote:
Lets say you do get a new car. Who's to say an engine wont blow up in a new car? And if it does, will you expect a new car again??
Absolutely would not expect them to, but I would certainly ask. Bottom line, as BMW will tell you (unless they blame the owner), is that it is their fault and your inconvenience.

Quote:
Under lemon law, you would get a new car if the engine blew up 3 times under factory warranty, but, you far from it to be near lemon law, or the laws that are similar to lemon law since you are in Canada.
Same in PA.

Quote:
Asking for a new car is laughable.
You clearly have never worked in customer service.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #118
JCE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan

Quote:
Couple of comments on your updates...

1st... congrats that all is working out... great news.

2nd... I think it is a little nuts that you are considering getting a lawyer, etc. Mechanical things will break down. It happens. I completely understand your frustration and such but if every car manufacturer could be sued when a mechanical issue occurred it would happen every day. It was really just poor luck and that stuff happens. Clearly given how few major problems the M3 has had, it isn't a design flaw. Anyway, just my two cents.

3rd... if the rest of the car is perfect and you get a new engine, why would you not be comfortable with the car any longer and want a completely new one? The only reason I can think of is if you don't have faith that the dealership will install it correctly. Otherwise, isn't your car back to new again? That, to me, is almost like saying "my transmission went... I need a new car because I can't trust this one." If you get a new engine and it is installed correctly, why would you have any less faith in the car than a new one? I'm not at all meaning to be difficult but I don't understand the rationale behind wanting a brand new car because something went wrong with the one you have if it is completely fixed. I would understand if it were a recurring issue but there is nothing to suggest it would be in this case.

Anyway, very glad things are working out.
Yes, glad it is working out.

But, OP sounds like a whackjob.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #119
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

What's up with all these MY 2011 problems surfacing in the last few months??

Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #120
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Neither is installing a tire, doing an alignment, getting your oil changed, getting your tranny or diff serviced. How many times have people complained about it not being done properly? I happen to trust my dealer enough to have them do it. But this guy, JUST got his car and the motor blew. If I were a manager at BMW and this landed on my desk, I would give him a new car and win a customer for life.

I would agree that a well run shop should assign a senior tech.

Who are you telling to think? I said nothing about him suing for a blown motor that is covered by the warranty. I said if there is any case to be made, it is that the car has less value because the motor blew and was changed. The same way a car which has been in a major accident, but fully repaired, has a decreased value. I went on to say that establishing what this decrease in value actually is will likely prove difficult.

Absolutely would not expect them to, but I would certainly ask. Bottom line, as BMW will tell you (unless they blame the owner), is that it is their fault and your inconvenience.

Same in PA.

You clearly have never worked in customer service.

I wasnt arguing with you, i was speaking to everyone in general.

I worked at a dealership as a service adviser my friend. So i have seen a lot of things. Some cars would get a new engine, some cars would just get new pistons. And every case is different.

And having a new engine vs a car that was fixed after a car accident is no where near the same. Getting new engine is like getting new pair of shoes. Fixing a car after an accident is like having your legs broken then healing back.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #121
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Thanks for all the support guys. As for the negativity from certain posters about me getting a lawyer involved, any actions or decisions I make are of my own prerogative, I will obviously do everything in due time not just rush and call in a lawyer when BMW are already taking care of me.

BMW Fanatic
I don't think anyone was trying to be negative at all, we were just stating the fact that you were jumping the gun on contacting a lawyer for an issue that didn't exist....... there was no accident, injury, or warranty denial, and, BMW even footed the bill to tow your car to the dealer.

One of the major problems with society today is people filing lawsuits over anything and everything. In an event like this, take a few notes, keep all documents and allow reasonable time for BMW/your dealer to resolve the issue. Please realize that filing suit against a company worth billions of dollars is most likely a losing battle for a person like you or me and would take years to hash out in court (if it went that far)

I hope everything works out for you and your car gets fixed/you get a replacement car (I doubt you will get a replacement car without losing some money though...... the warranty states that they will repair your car, not replace it) and are back on the road soon.

One thing you must realize is a car is a machine and machines break, even BMW's...... if they didn't break dealers wouldn't need mechanics and cars wouldn't have warranties. You were unlucky that your car was one of the ones that did break however it will be fixed/replaced and in a few months you will have forgotten all about this.

Good luck!

Jamie