BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

A few ED + PCD questions

I'm picking up my E92 M3 at the Welt in a couple of months (ordered through one of the forum affiliates). I have the trip roughly planned and will do The Ring, a few cities, etc.

I just have a few clarifying questions after perusing the ED and PCD threads:

1) Should I request PS2s, or will they be the default tires?

2) Will wheel locks be installed from the get go?

3) The ED confirmation says standard floor mats (not M ones) will be installed in Europe. I'm fine with those, but will those come back to the US?

4) I'm hearing PCD adds about 1-2 weeks to the delivery time - does this sound about right?

5) I live in a no front-plate state - the PCD won't drill in a front holder will they? The Euro front plate is supposed to be taped on according to what I've heard.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
vdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 M3, E46 M3, E36 M3

Congrats on your upcoming ED-picking up my E90 at the Welt last October was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Here's what I experienced.

I tried to request PS2s however, my dealer told me that they had no control over what tires the factory installed. When I first saw my car at the Welt, I was a little disappointed that it came with Contis and asked if there was any way possible to switch to PS2s prior to taking delivery-unfortunately there wasn't. My friend picked up a near identical E90 on the same day & got PS2s & wheel locks so I guess there's a little luck involved. The Contis were actually decent but I ended up switching to RE-11s whan I got new rims.

See above

3) The ED confirmation says standard floor mats (not M ones) will be installed in Europe. I'm fine with those, but will those come back to the US?
I received standard floor mats but negotiated m mats with the dealer upfront (so now I have two sets of mats)

5) I live in a no front-plate state - the PCD won't drill in a front holder will they? The Euro front plate is supposed to be taped on according to what I've heard.

I was worried about the same thing. My dealer advised me to take the US Spec holder (which should be in the trunk) with me when dropping the car off. This will avoid the prep guys at PCD/port from "proactively" installing the front plate mount. While you're at it, take the warning triangle from the trunk (as this will most likely be taken) and leave a large note on the dashboard asking the delivery center not to take the Euro plates (ED shipping company no longer allows you to take the plates off as souvenirs prior to shipping)

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdude View Post
Congrats on your upcoming ED-picking up my E90 at the Welt last October was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Here's what I experienced.

I tried to request PS2s however, my dealer told me that they had no control over what tires the factory installed. When I first saw my car at the Welt, I was a little disappointed that it came with Contis and asked if there was any way possible to switch to PS2s prior to taking delivery-unfortunately there wasn't. My friend picked up a near identical E90 on the same day & got PS2s & wheel locks so I guess there's a little luck involved. The Contis were actually decent but I ended up switching to RE-11s whan I got new rims.

See above

I received standard floor mats but negotiated m mats with the dealer upfront (so now I have two sets of mats)

I was worried about the same thing. My dealer advised me to take the US Spec holder (which should be in the trunk) with me when dropping the car off. This will avoid the prep guys at PCD/port from "proactively" installing the front plate mount. While you're at it, take the warning triangle from the trunk (as this will most likely be taken) and leave a large note on the dashboard asking the delivery center not to take the Euro plates (ED shipping company no longer allows you to take the plates off as souvenirs prior to shipping)

Hope this helps.
He covered it all. ENJOY
      04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Bimmer Freeeek!
Live Fast. Die Young.
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ///M3

1) It is luck. But it seems that everyone with 219M 18s gets PS2s.

4) For me, PCD added about a month. My car arrived stateside during the holidays and apparently this is why it took a bit longer than usual. If I had taken dealer delivery, I would have had it before the new year but I decided to be patient and just go for PCD as planned. Some people get lucky and get ED/PCD within 4-6 weeks, but for me it took exactly 8 weeks. Yes, the wait is killer!

2012 M3 E92 SS-II
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
ramuman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Thanks so much guys, that seems to have covered all the bases. I'll try to get wheel locks and the mats thrown in upon pickup at the PCD.

It's a competition package so, 359m rims.

The two primary things that would bother me would be holes for the front plate and the tires. Seems there's an easy solution to the former

If it doesn't come with wheel locks, it'll be the first order of business for me along with a keyhole delete (retaining the cylinder behind it). I guess a hundred bucks or so in "mods"
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Thanks so much guys, that seems to have covered all the bases. I'll try to get wheel locks and the mats thrown in upon pickup at the PCD.

It's a competition package so, 359m rims.

The two primary things that would bother me would be holes for the front plate and the tires. Seems there's an easy solution to the former

If it doesn't come with wheel locks, it'll be the first order of business for me along with a keyhole delete (retaining the cylinder behind it). I guess a hundred bucks or so in "mods"
I have never heard of an ED car coming with wheel locks, myself. Since it's a dealer installed option, I don't even know how the factory would have those as an option on your build sheet during assembly.

You don't have to worry about the front plate being drilled, anywhere. When you pick up your car at the Welt, they will hand you both front and rear plate brackets. Just pack those in your bag. When you pick your car up at PDC, they will ask you if you'd like the front plate removed. They have to pull off the rear zoll plate in for to put on the temp tag before you leave the PDC parking lot.

As mentioned, you'll want to take the warning triangle, hazard kits, and mounting brackets for warning triangle.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
acevo8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Evo 8

Based on past experiences, how far in advance do they give a heads up coming from ED to PCD? I know the car can be held up at customs or what not, so that would change when someone books their airfare to PCD.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I have never heard of an ED car coming with wheel locks, myself. Since it's a dealer installed option, I don't even know how the factory would have those as an option on your build sheet during assembly.

You don't have to worry about the front plate being drilled, anywhere. When you pick up your car at the Welt, they will hand you both front and rear plate brackets. Just pack those in your bag. When you pick your car up at PDC, they will ask you if you'd like the front plate removed. They have to pull off the rear zoll plate in for to put on the temp tag before you leave the PDC parking lot.

As mentioned, you'll want to take the warning triangle, hazard kits, and mounting brackets for warning triangle.
Being a European delivery you will also get a first aid kit. Take that home with you as well. Don't leave it in the car.

I didn't have wheel locks on my car in Europe but they were on it in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
Being a European delivery you will also get a first aid kit. Take that home with you as well. Don't leave it in the car.

I didn't have wheel locks on my car in Europe but they were on it in Canada.
Yes, I meant first aid kit when I typed hazard kit. Definitely take that with you! You can also take the manuals. I didn't. They're easily replaceable via a dealer if something happens to them. First Aid kit is not as easy
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Yes, I meant first aid kit when I typed hazard kit. Definitely take that with you! You can also take the manuals. I didn't. They're easily replaceable via a dealer if something happens to them. First Aid kit is not as easy
Yes

I took my manuals home with me as well, and had them read before the car got here. I knew more about it than the guy who was doing the delivery briefing.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
BMWSpeedFreek
Lt Col. …who can’t wait for his next track day!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Basically, take anything not nailed down.

One other story ---

I heard from a friend that the ocean crossing wasn't nice for his E90 M3sedan when the shipping guys accidentally leaned on the rear window switch, cracking them both open about an inch...unnoticed...something like 2 inches of sea water in his car on arrival in Jersey...lesson to pull window fuses before dropping off!

GL! & Enjoy Germany! (I do!)
•'12 E92 M3 Space Grey/M-DCT/ZCP/ZPP/DINAN/ACM Test Pipes/BPM StageII Tune & Coding/M Perf Exhaust, Race seats, Alcantra V2 steering wheel, gloss grills/ModeCarbon GTS wing/GTS DCT Tune, CF int trim, door sills/LUX H8 V3/CSF race oil cooler/Trackspec hood vents/GT4 Rep CF splitter & rotor ducting/Hawk DTC60/KW CS 2way NR/B'world/Hotchkis/Eibach/Apex
Appreciate 0