BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
PKE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 Diesel

M Perf or Akra Slip - anyone in Connecticut?

Anyone in Fairfield County, CT have either the BMW Perf exhaust or an Akra Slip on? I'd like to listen to either.

Thanks.

Current: 13 X5 Diesel, 991 Carrera S 50th Anniversary Edition

Gone: 11 E90 M3 ZCP, 07 328i ZSP, 05 330i ZHP, 04 996 GT3, 02 525iA, 02 996 C2, 01 Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

If you're going slip-on only I'd suggest M Performance. It's a much more aggressive sound than titanium. But if you think you want full system, then Akra for sure is a great choice
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

I have an AKRA Slip-on with a Challenge Engineering "Street" X-pipe (http://www.challenge-usa.com/v2/exhaust/bmw/street.htm) in Massachusetts if that is of interest to you.

MJM
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
M3Monster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I have an AKRA Slip-on with a Challenge Engineering "Street" X-pipe (http://www.challenge-usa.com/v2/exhaust/bmw/street.htm) in Massachusetts if that is of interest to you.

MJM
How does this sound? Any sound clips?? I also have the Challenge street X-pipe and I'm trying to figure out which axle back i want to go with...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
MJM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does this sound? Any sound clips?? I also have the Challenge street X-pipe and I'm trying to figure out which axle back i want to go with...
This combination sounds great! I was looking for something not too loud as my comparison was to other higher-end exotics which have a classy sound but are quiet and livable yet still alive when accelerating. It has no drone and has for me "Just the right sound level" when you get on it, noticeable but not that raw race track sound. Most other high-end performance cars I have observed have that nice mix.

As for which slip-on to get, don't underestimate the value of appearance in this decision. The AKRA looks THE BEST from the back (and underneath) mostly because of the minimal visibility of the exhaust cans hanging down and its beautiful construction. This coupled with the beautiful exhaust tips (Titanium or Carbon Fiber) again present a classy package. After all, don't you buy a Mod for performance and looks??

Also for me, this combination was the best of both worlds as it passes State Vehicle inspection here in Massachusetts.

Every time I go to my dealer, everyone there always comments very positively and asks me what exhaust system I have. As they stated, it looks like a million bucks and sounds great without being obnoxiously loud.

Sorry I don't have any sound clips.

MJM
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
This combination sounds great! I was looking for something not too loud as my comparison was to other higher-end exotics which have a classy sound but are quiet and livable yet still alive when accelerating. It has no drone and has for me "Just the right sound level" when you get on it, noticeable but not that raw race track sound. Most other high-end performance cars I have observed have that nice mix.

As for which slip-on to get, don't underestimate the value of appearance in this decision. The AKRA looks THE BEST from the back (and underneath) mostly because of the minimal visibility of the exhaust cans hanging down and its beautiful construction. This coupled with the beautiful exhaust tips (Titanium or Carbon Fiber) again present a classy package. After all, don't you buy a Mod for performance and looks??

Also for me, this combination was the best of both worlds as it passes State Vehicle inspection here in Massachusetts.

Every time I go to my dealer, everyone there always comments very positively and asks me what exhaust system I have. As they stated, it looks like a million bucks and sounds great without being obnoxiously loud.

Sorry I don't have any sound clips.

MJM
the challenge street x pipe requires cutting of the oem mid section correct?

agreed regarding looks of the akra slip compared to others long with sound.

sometimes I think about swapping my akra slip on for the m performance, but I can't get over how much it looks like the oem exhaust, which was just an important reason of wanting to go with an aftermarket set up.

op, glws....
      11-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I can't find anything to top my M Performance. Looks great, totally in character for the M3 and the sound is superb, nothing else sounds like it and the fact that it doesn't drone at all is so nice.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
MJM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the challenge street x pipe requires cutting of the oem mid section
Yes it does but it's a very easy install and the fit is perfect. For this effort you also get added great sound and an extra 10hp!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Yes it does but it's a very easy install and the fit is perfect. For this effort you also get added great sound and an extra 10hp!!
I'd love to hear the M Performance with the street xpipe. I'm not a catless rasp fan so I'm a little hesitant. Although the street sounds perfect on paper since it keeps the primary's intact. I do wish the M Performance had just a touch more volume sometimes.
Appreciate 0