BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-07-2015, 03:13 AM   #1
timcoats
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Custom installed Gintani Axle-Back, Now Weird Noise Appears

I bought a used Gintani Axle Back from a fellow member on here whom swore it fit my E92 as he had it installed on his... Unfortunately when time came for installation it was apparent it was for an E90 as it was about 1-2inches short, although everything else lined up.

So the exhaust sat in my garage for a while till I had time to take it to the local exhaust shop to see what they could do. They eventually were able to cut and weld on a new piece to get it to fit onto the stock exhaust but this required cutting and removing stock axle back rather than just unbolting (wasn't super happy about this, but already made the time to get this done.)

Everything looked good until I took it for the first drive. Sounds great but upon decelerating there is a very noticeable and audible "clicking" almost like a bicycle with a playing car propped between its spokes. This sound seems to get better as the car warms up but its still present and very unsightly to say the least.

Has anyone had this issue before? Should I just take it back to the exhaust shop and have the stock welded back on? I feel like I just jumped down the rabbit hole and now I'm out the labor and cost I paid for this E90 Gintani. What happened to honest people?

Thanks for the input
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Did they cut anywhere near your oem resonators? I had my resonators cut before and when welded back in they would tick very loud for some reason. Also paired with gintani . Eventually I deleted the Res again and it stopped.

My thoughts is that when the exhaust heats up, it expands and puts some sort of pressure somewhere in the exhaust maybe with the mounting areas and such that it ticks like metal to metal
      08-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
timcoats
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

It does appear to be near the rear resonators. They basically cut right before where the OEM axle back bolts on. That maybe what is happening but then wouldn't it be making it during other times when driving? Im not sure what the fix would be then, exhaust is already very loud I couldn't imagine removing a resonator.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Arnold_Powers
that M guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Try starting it and putting it up on a bay and see if it does it with you under
      08-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep