BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The biggest advantage of the Corvette vs the M3 is the weight. The Corvette weighs 400-500 lbs less than the M3! So even if the M3 has more power, the Corvette has the advantage in performance driving situations because of it's lower weight and lower center of gravity.

My friend had a C6 Z06 and in stock form it was a monster. The biggest complaint is the crap stock seats with no support but otherwise it is a great car. The M3 can't even come close to the performance of the vette. On track, I've watched the Vette pull away on straights and corners like the M3 is standing still. He changed out the stock suspension for coilovers on all 4 corners and added bigger and stickier tires.
Starting with the C5 Z06, and continuing with the C6 Z06 and ZR1, and now the C7, Corvettes have really turned into world-beaters... Even before you factor in the cost advantage over the competition.

Enjoy the new ride, OP - post some video from the 'Ring!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Isn't the new Vette Stingray going to a different engine platform? i thought there supposed to be a 4.4L or something?

Nice lookn Vette you got OP.
      06-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

sick color. I need to take a ride in a z06 one day. Never heard anything less than the word monster to describe it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #26
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Starting with the C5 Z06, and continuing with the C6 Z06 and ZR1, and now the C7, Corvettes have really turned into world-beaters... Even before you factor in the cost advantage over the competition.

Enjoy the new ride, OP - post some video from the 'Ring!
fun with the GF

first time on semi-slicks

GP track, street tires

Spa wet laps... dominated

some fun
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #27
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Isn't the new Vette Stingray going to a different engine platform? i thought there supposed to be a 4.4L or something?

Nice lookn Vette you got OP.

i think it's 6.2 still, but some different tech in it (4 valves and some other alien tech). It gets like 450hp/450tq vs the c6 is at 436hp i think.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #28
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
sick color. I need to take a ride in a z06 one day. Never heard anything less than the word monster to describe it.
Thanks! Yea, i was looking for this specific color. My last 3 cars were black, so i swore off black, too hard to keep clean. With z06's you have ton of blacks, reds and yellows and silvers. Yellow and red (I noticed) fetch least $, i could have gotten some really good deals if i could live with those colors. Silver, is just a little plain... i'm not flashy person, i like subtle and tasteful, but silver just didn't do it for me on this car. Yes, blue is flashy, but i think it fits the car really well! I noticed that for the year, this color fetches the most $$ and is easist to sell. In perfect world i'd get white, but u can't find that (newer years only).

Monster compared to stock m3, yes! Even compared to supercharged m3. M3 was still civil under full throttle, and tamed at low rpm. Z06 is just pulling in low rpm like a train, but ones you wind it up, he is just a monster that you need to be able to handle. I can't wait to get on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #29
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Looking forward to taking an uncivil, hard to handle "monster" out on the Nordschleife... You're a far braver man than me! Looks like you've got lots of experience, thouhg - be safe out there, OP!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #30
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

The z06 was surprisingly one of the easiest cars to drive on the track from my experience. Your going to love it. And once you figure out the limits the semi vague steering is a non issue on track. There wasn't a soul that had a ride in my z06 that didn't walk away impressed or even flabbergasted.

My first track day in that car was my first time out at Laguna seca in a torrential down pour and I was still able to hit 2:01.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #31
GrumpyBimmerFan
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
The z06 was surprisingly one of the easiest cars to drive on the track from my experience. Your going to love it. And once you figure out the limits the semi vague steering is a non issue on track. There wasn't a soul that had a ride in my z06 that didn't walk away impressed or even flabbergasted.

My first track day in that car was my first time out at Laguna seca in a torrential down pour and I was still able to hit 2:01.
Thanks! That actually put me at ease. Nurburgring is a dangerous race track, a lot of speed and little run off. What traction mode did you use (if any)?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #32
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post

Thanks! That actually put me at ease. Nurburgring is a dangerous race track, a lot of speed and little run off. What traction mode did you use (if any)?
I left it on race mode, and I was still able to get my tail around nearly 70* and drift entire corners. Surprised the crap out of me and I had to recheck if my tc was still on. Can't wait to see what times you'll put down at the ring with the z06!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
i think it's 6.2 still, but some different tech in it (4 valves and some other alien tech). It gets like 450hp/450tq vs the c6 is at 436hp i think.
still a two valve pushrod which has its advantages and disadvantages. very compact and light weight for what it does. it does have DI and a lot of combustion chamber optimization.

i've put about 15kmiles on my C6Z. seriously considered buying an e92M DCT a few months back; between that car and my friend's e92M with a manual trans, i have a couple hours' seat time in the M.

my thoughts:

1) both Ms are stock. no 600hp insanity.
2) C6Z absolutely dominates the M on the performance front. much better brake feel, spectacular on the twisties, and the obvious power advantage. especially when one isn't in the RPM zone the M needs to be in to move.
3) M seats and interior in general dominates the Z.
4) the 1980's F15-looking HUD in the Z is surprisingly useful. wish the M had one.
5) i really like the driving position and shifter in the Z.
6) M is a 'nicer' car. cool headlights which follow the steering, trick exposed CF roof, trick gauges with the shift light, incredible seats, DCT. all the cool nuances of a BMW.
7) Z's weight and center of mass advantage shows up any time you stop, go, turn.
8) M engine sounds wicked at idle. i've been told the Z sounds pretty wicked from the outside, but from the inside, it sounds very tame. although the accelerations are anything but tame.
9) the Z totally comes alive in the twisties. i haven't driven another car which comes close.
10) for anyone considering a Z, good tires are a must. i put pilot super sports on it (ditching the supercars) and the car went from scary (and not in a good way) to extremely predictable and fun. and it could finally put down power, even in first gear.

my Z is presently parked and i have 2500$ in Ti valves on order. it can be done more cheaply, but my goal is to keep things stock without increasing the exhaust valves' mass since IMO this engine is somewhat critical on that front. also, it is my opinion the moly coating will be necessary on the intake valves when going to bronze guides, therefore 16 new valves. IMO, the exhaust valve issue is a real thing and i am dropping the $$$ to preemptively correct it. one detail tho: i have 15k miles where the car only demanded tires, gas, and oil changes. it's been very reliable.

bottom line:

these cars will often be at the same price point depending on year, miles, and condition compared. get the M if you want a capable car which is also a very nice car. get the Z if you want an incredible grin machine. i intend to add an e92M (replacing my 330ci) and own both in a few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #34
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

is the Z06 kinda like a Viper in terms of rawness?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #35
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
is the Z06 kinda like a Viper in terms of rawness?
i don't have seat time in a viper, but from what i've heard in the C6Z forum (similar threads about C6Z vs viper ownership with several respondents who have (or do) own both), no. from their comments, the C6Z is a better performer than some generations of the viper and it's a lot more liveable than pretty much all gens of viper, but the viper is supposed to be about as raw and hair raising as it gets for its price point. not sure about the most recent viper, but i imagine a C7Z will be a better comparison if and when it happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #36
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
The Corvette is a great race car, but it wreaks of mid life crisis. Around here I think the Corvette is more of a status symbol than a race car. Most of the guys I see driving them are just cruising the speed limit and it seems they are more focused on listening to talk news radio rather than having an awesome driving experience.
Up until your post, this was a string comparing cars and their merits.

Your own mental attitude about cars is that you measure yourself by what you drive, and are mightily concerned about your image.

BMW drivers are often criticized as being image conscious, and of course that's sometimes true (you, for instance), but really, so what. People buy cars and other things for all kinds of reasons.

If old guys buy Vettes, so what. The cars are killers on track, benign on the street, and get very good mileage.

Try ignoring your image a bit. You'll be a happier person, without the worries of caring what other people think.

And by the way, that's "reeks", instead of "wreaks", as in "wreaks havoc", which Vettes routinely do on track against many other sports cars.

Bruce
Appreciate 0