BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Yokohama AD08 vibration?

Any one have vibration issues with Yokohama AD08?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Have had them on the car for a few weeks now, 19's, and love them. Have found them to be a bit more sensitive to road conditions, notice a crappy road more than before ( which were stock 18's, so that seems obvious). Haven't noticed anything crazy or anything, can still drive on the highway at 80 good road with very little vibration but a bit is to be expected, and have pushed over 150 mph a few times and feels great... Not sure what you're experiencing
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

They're stiff sidewalls, but I haven't heard of any vibration issues.

If it is always present at a certain speed, it is likely a balance issue. Could be an out of round tire, could be an incorrect balance, or the tire could have shifted on the wheel after the balance was done, or (may the wheel gods forbid) a wheel could be bent.

If it vibrates for a while at the start of the drive, and then smooths out, it may be temporary flatspotting.

Or it could be something I'm not thinking of, but those are the most likely suspects.
      08-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have them. No abnormal vibration at all. Greatest street tires (in terms of performance) I've ever bought.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
FruitCake
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3

Nope, on my 3rd set, no vibration issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
They're stiff sidewalls, but I haven't heard of any vibration issues.

If it is always present at a certain speed, it is likely a balance issue. Could be an out of round tire, could be an incorrect balance, or the tire could have shifted on the wheel after the balance was done, or (may the wheel gods forbid) a wheel could be bent.

If it vibrates for a while at the start of the drive, and then smooths out, it may be temporary flatspotting.

Or it could be something I'm not thinking of, but those are the most likely suspects.
Ben please explain out of round! I have a case with tire rack Yokohama agreed to take the tires back at 50% value. When i first had these tires installed in May 2010 they were amazing in all aspects. Then in July when the rear tires were 7/32 i thought i had some rear diff noise on decel and it became worse. After some dealer visits it was the tires causing the noise. Then at the beginning of August the fronts started makinfg some vibration at speed of 100 Mph plus and then got worse lots of vibration at 20 Mph like a thump, thump, thump. I talked to a German tire dealer he said the tires weren't designed for high speed use they can become out of round when heating up and cooling down? is this true? I know for sure these tires would never ever expierence these conditions in The U.S. I never had this problem with michelin PS2 or PS2 cups and I drove both those tires to 1.5mm. I currently have the rims and tires off the car need to get them dismounted to ship back to tire rack for my refund.

Any explanations would be great ben both tires are sitting at 6/32 with lots of life left what gives ive never ever expierenced these conditions before and i have been driving here in Germany for the past 15 years
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Ben please explain out of round! I have a case with tire rack Yokohama agreed to take the tires back at 50% value. When i first had these tires installed in May 2010 they were amazing in all aspects. Then in July when the rear tires were 7/32 i thought i had some rear diff noise on decel and it became worse. After some dealer visits it was the tires causing the noise. Then at the beginning of August the fronts started makinfg some vibration at speed of 100 Mph plus and then got worse lots of vibration at 20 Mph like a thump, thump, thump. I talked to a German tire dealer he said the tires weren't designed for high speed use they can become out of round when heating up and cooling down? is this true? I know for sure these tires would never ever expierence these conditions in The U.S. I never had this problem with michelin PS2 or PS2 cups and I drove both those tires to 1.5mm. I currently have the rims and tires off the car need to get them dismounted to ship back to tire rack for my refund.

Any explanations would be great ben both tires are sitting at 6/32 with lots of life left what gives ive never ever expierenced these conditions before and i have been driving here in Germany for the past 15 years
Ah, OK. I was not aware that you had them for that long. When I said out of round, I was talking about the type of case where a tire is not built quite right, and does not balance properly. This would be discovered immediately.

The Yokos are designed for high speed use, they are generally rated for 168mph (W) or 186mph (Y). The AD08's were originally built for the Japanese market, and have generally held up very well to hard driving, drifting, and light track duty.

Heating up and cooling down may be a reference to the temporary flatspotting I mentioned. You run a tire, it gets hot, then you park it, and it cools down. In whatever position it stops, the bottom of the tire gets "smushed" and flattens out a little, and once it cools it wants to stay in that shape.

Then when you start out the next day, it can thump/vibrate/shimmy etc. If this were the cause, a few miles of driving would smooth them out, unless you left the car parked in one place for months or years.

From your description, it sounds like the tires have developed some type of uneven wear or defect or damage. I am glad that customer service was able to help you. If you can PM me your invoice number, I can try to find out what the diagnosis is when they get back.