BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Fivefingers > *

I have a retarded high arch, so I need support in every other shoe, but my vibrams force me to run on the ball of my foot so arch support isn't an issue.
You should be careful on how often you use those.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Anybody who is serious about running (runs more than a measly 5 miles) knows that these are a joke and take some serious time to adjust to.
Please spew your ignorance elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Sigh
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
hate the shox... love the nike vomeros... also a fan of the nimbus 12s from asics
I had the nimbus 12s, there was too much gel for me. my feet and toes would go numb/fall asleep after a mile or 2.

I have mizuno wave rider 14s now. they've been treating me well.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Please spew your ignorance elsewhere.
Do explain, in the most bro fashioned way possible <3
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #28
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Vibram 5 fingers advocates seem to be similar to hybrid drivers, or Mac users. (Sweeping generalizations ahead!!! Guaranteed to piss someone off!!!)

Depending on a person's needs, they provide distinct advantages over the more traditional offerings. This is true with all products and is why not everyone buys the same products as everyone else. However, in those that choose these "alternative" offerings, which they do so because it fits their requirements, the owner somehow tends to develop a sense of superiority and look down upon those who utilize products with different characteristics more suited to their own needs.

Have a computer virus? Should've bought a Mac. They don't get viruses.

Gas prices going up? Should've bought a Prius. You can even put your Apple sticker on the back!

Joint pain when running? Should've bought "barefoot" shoes. Your Prius even has space in the trunk for them!

People wanna buy Vibrams go for it. The advantages for certain styles of runners are well documented. However, there is a very valid reason that not everyone runs with them, from the professional level down to your most basic amateur. The same reason not everyone has a Mac, or drives a hybrid:

Preferences
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
check out the asics 33s... also excellent
I was going to get the 33. It will be my next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #30
varcity23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90 6MT

LOL I guess im the only person that doesn't have a problem with shox... LOL. I bought a new pair called nike shox agent.... Just wondering how people felt about them... I only run 2-3 miles, every time I go for a decent run.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #31
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Vibram 5 fingers advocates seem to be similar to hybrid drivers, or Mac users. (Sweeping generalizations ahead!!! Guaranteed to piss someone off!!!)

Depending on a person's needs, they provide distinct advantages over the more traditional offerings. This is true with all products and is why not everyone buys the same products as everyone else. However, in those that choose these "alternative" offerings, which they do so because it fits their requirements, the owner somehow tends to develop a sense of superiority and look down upon those who utilize products with different characteristics more suited to their own needs.

Have a computer virus? Should've bought a Mac. They don't get viruses.

Gas prices going up? Should've bought a Prius. You can even put your Apple sticker on the back!

Joint pain when running? Should've bought "barefoot" shoes. Your Prius even has space in the trunk for them!

People wanna buy Vibrams go for it. The advantages for certain styles of runners are well documented. However, there is a very valid reason that not everyone runs with them, from the professional level down to your most basic amateur. The same reason not everyone has a Mac, or drives a hybrid:

Preferences
You aren't going to see a competitive runner, or someone that was a competitive runner wearing these. Not that it makes it right or wrong, that's just the way it is. You'll see people newer to running wearing these because they are the 'new hot thing', but people that are really 'runners' know better (not to say that you can't get good use out of them in certain circumstances). They might have their place, but it's not a high mileage program.
      04-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I used to run only in Nike structure tiax series... I now switched to Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11's. AMAZING difference, Brooks are great.
      04-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #33
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I run in Brooks as well. They make a solid shoe.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
You aren't going to see a competitive runner, or someone that was a competitive runner wearing these. Not that it makes it right or wrong, that's just the way it is. You'll see people newer to running wearing these because they are the 'new hot thing', but people that are really 'runners' know better (not to say that you can't get good use out of them in certain circumstances). They might have their place, but it's not a high mileage program.
Where do you people come up with this bullshit?

The human foot evolved to run barefoot...duh. Just read any article about barefoot running or studies done that compare injury rates between shod and unshod runners.

Here's one: http://www.oandp.com/articles/2010-04_06.asp - Don't have time to dig up any more right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The popularity of barefoot running goes back to 1960, when Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia won the Olympic marathon in Rome barefoot after finding that his team-issued shoes hurt his feet. Bikila had done a significant amount of barefoot training prior to the Olympics.[7] British runner Bruce Tulloh also competed in many races during the 1960s while barefoot, and won the gold medal in the 1962 European Games 5,000 metre race.[8] During the 1980s, a South African runner, Zola Budd, became known for her barefoot running style as well as training and racing barefoot. She won the 1985 and 1986 IAAF World Cross Country Championships and competed in the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, California.[9] Kenyan runner Tegla Loroupe began running barefoot 10 km (6.2 mi) to and from school every day at the age of 7. She performed well in contests at school, and in 1988, won a prestigious cross country barefoot race. She went on to compete, both barefoot and shod, in several international competitions, marathons, and half-marathons. She won the Goodwill Games over 10,000 metres, barefoot, and was the first African woman to win the New York City Marathon in 1994, winning again in 1998.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
One barefoot runner, Rick Roeber, has been running barefoot since 2003, and has run more than 50 marathons, 2 ultra-marathons of 40 miles, and over 17,000 miles (27,359 km) all barefoot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #35
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I use Reebok Easytones.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #36
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The human foot evolved to run barefoot...duh. Just read any article about barefoot running or studies done that compare injury rates between shod and unshod runners.

Here's one: http://www.oandp.com/articles/2010-04_06.asp - Don't have time to dig up any more right now.

So, do you run barefooted?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe you will get this through your head eventually: All feet are different. There is proper running technique, which utilizes the basic anatomy of the foot to act as feet have evolved. My feet, like many others, have far from a perfect natural shape. Were I to run without any arch support, I would experience much more pain and injury than running with the proper shoe. Ask me how I know.

You like them, they work for you, great, now shut the fuck up before you continue to prove my original statement about barefoot running advocates. You have no idea what the best shoe is for anyone but yourself, and even that is questionable, considering the basis for your mandate that Vibrams are the best running footwear is an anecdote about someone running wearing a shoe that was obviously wrong for him and an article relaying uncited evidence about injuries and a few quotes from people who like to run in the grass, condescendingly reporting how marvelous the world is when you run in bare feet.

Newsflash - improper technique and improper footwear cause injuries. There are plenty of shoes that encourage this, and should be avoided, but barefoot running is far from the blanket solution to those experiencing injuries.

The bottom line is, every time these threads pop up, is to have your feet looked at, your gait analyzed, and anyone who sells running shoes who's worth their salt will be able put you in the most ideal footwear given your own unique anatomy. Your feet might need no support whatsoever. Most people do. Either way, you're going to get a better recommendation than you will from absolutist posts which always inevitably fail to consider that feet are all different.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #38
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Doug, I don't think people are doubting the "possible" benefits of running barefooted. It's just that most advance runners still prefer running with traditional runner shoes - as we can all observe at any marathons.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #39
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:

Let's just call it 'practical experience'. You're going to debate based on what you've read on the internet, and I'm going to debate based on what I've observed and experienced for over a decade of running thousands and thousands of miles.

I'm not speaking for the casual runners who go out and do 2-5 miles at a time 3-4 days a week.

I'm talking about serious runners putting in 60-100 miles a week. If you're a casual runner, but you are consistent over a long period of time (years), I would be concerned. If you're really putting in the miles, I'd be concerned day 1. Even if you're not running 60 miles a week, if you're rapidly increasing your mileage week to week I'd be concerned.

This is all assuming that you are getting the right shoe for your build, your program, your foot, and your mechanics.

Last edited by bolinp78; 04-29-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #40
brizzom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bumping an old thread, but I don't run in anything besides my vibrams now. Try it out for yourself before you dismiss it. Make sure you ease into it slowly though.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #41
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Yeah I'd maybe wear the toe-shoe things if I was running on grass. Pavement? No thank you.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0