E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question for TOMTOM Navigator 5 users.

02-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
liverpoolfc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Question Question for TOMTOM Navigator 5 users.

I just bought TOMTOM Navigator 5 software for my wife's PDA (Ipaq) which works wonderful with the Bluetooth GPS receiver . However, I can’t figure out how to navigate through states :mad: . So lets say I have the Washington DC map loaded, how will I enter the destination in Florida?
      02-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

I am not specifically familiar with TomTom, but I have used other GPS navigation software. Generally you have to have all the maps loaded from the origin and the destination and everywhere in between necessary to generate the route. So, in your example, you need Washington D.C., Florida, and all the states in between loaded in order to generate a route. There may be a map that just includes the interstates of the whole nation that you could load that would help with an interstate trip.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
loopsandsounds
Rep
Drives: X7M50, GT3RS, Taycan, Raptor

You need to put the Tom Tom 5 Map CD 1 in your PC and make a map package to install on your PDA (or memory card) that includes all states from DC to Florida. This is not the default behavior, Tom Tom normally uses regions (Northeast, MidAtlantic, Southeast), so you'll need to manually pick the states you want. You'll probably need a 256MB or better SD card.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
blasman
Rep
Drives: 06 325

You either need to install the areas that cover all states along the way, or there is another way. Install the beginning state, ending state, and the major roads of america. If you do this, however, you can't route from beginning to end all in 1 step. You can start navigating with the first state loaded, then once you get to an interstate road, switch the map to the major roads of america. Navigate to the destination city. Once you get in the destination state, switch the map from major roads of america to the destination state. Then you can navigate to the destination address.

It's very annoying having to do it this way, but that's how TOMTOM works.
Appreciate 0