BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #815
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight flexin View Post
Didn't get ogs speed but My speedo said 180 something lol
Insane! 180 in turn 1-2!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #816
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Went to Laguna Seca with PCA-GGR. Nice people. Nice event. INCREDIBLE weather! Sound limit was 90 db.....I kept getting black flagged for sound--they said my supercharged M3, with full stock exhaust except track pipes was 94 db.....so I had to do my best to stay within the sound limits. I put my old stock x-pipe-with-track-pipe on just for Laguna......I'm frustrated because during my trip to Laguna in July, I requested a sound check. On that trip, I had an Akra X-pipe with a stock exhaust, and I only tested at 92.9db......so the track is telling me that at wide open throttle, the stock x-pipe with track pipe is louder than the Akra x-pipe........whatever.....

E90 M3
Track/course: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:39.04
Brakes: AP Racing - Cobalt Friction XR2 front/XR3 rear
Tires: Hoosier R6 - 295/30/18 square on Volk G2 10"
Suspension: JRZ RS Pro
Other mods: VF620, Track pipes with stock exhaust, (no aero parts, full interior)

This was my first time on Hoosiers R6. Nice tires! They hook up the blower's power very nicely. I still need more time to get used to them. Anyway, I was stuck in traffic most of the time. But they had a time trial, so I got two open track laps. With minimal work 1:38 will be easy with R6. The data shows I was on an easy mid-1:38 pace on the second time trial lap through the Corkscrew, and then gave it all away in Turn 9. My line through Turn 9 has been all wrong. My goal is 1:37 now at that track with R6. (Ran 1:39.2 on Hankook TD)

Anyway, I took second place in the time trial. First place went to forum member Ti-Jean, who had his GT3 out there! He ran 1:38.6 I believe, and this was his first visit to the track. With the sound limit, no truly fast track-dedicated Porsches could even show up. And the 997-GT3's simply blew sound constantly. Geez, the event organizer's 997-GT3 was constantly blowing the sound limit and he had angled pipes. He was tippy-toeing up that hill to make the limit.....Is it true that most track days will be 90 db next year? What a shame for such an amazing place......
T9 is where you can pickup a lot of time, but gotta be careful. That's where Wayne Rainey died, hence T9 being called "Rainey Curve." A lot of people go off-throttle and just roll down through there.

TiJean 1:38 on first visit? Awesome!

Quote:
Didn't get ogs speed but My speedo said 180 something lol
Jezuz... when I ran 1:53 in February (TD tires on their 2nd day, no aero), the speedo showed ~155 at T1 on a very windy day. Probably could reach 160 on a calm cool day.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 11-26-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #817
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Jezuz... when I ran 1:53 in February (TD tires on their 2nd day, no aero), the speedo showed ~155 at T1 on a very windy day. Probably could reach 160 on a calm cool day.
His time is nuts. I managed 1:55:1 on rs3 (no power mods) my speedo got right below 160 so I'm sure you will hit 160+ on the TD's without wind easily on a cool day (noting that the speedo always read high. Feel like mine reads 7-8mph plus when going around turn 8 at WSIR)

Last edited by TheKosherStogie; 11-26-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #818
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
His time is nuts.
Yeah, S/C plus TD plus aero plus 3-way KW! But, even then, all those things must've clicked.

Quote:
I managed 1:55:1 on rs3 (no power mods) my speedo got right below 160 so I'm sure you will hit 160+ on the TD's without wind easily on a cool day (noting that the speedo always read high. Feel like mine reads 7-8mph plus when going around turn 8 at WSIR)
mCorsa & Kaiv, who've both run 1:53 at ACS on R-S3, re-iterated the need to get out of that last turn as fast as possible to build up speed on the front straightaway, and it worked out for me (I had run 1:56 prior to that). But yeah, with TD's, it should be faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #819
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
That 1:36 was on low boost, 2 generations old aero, the RF tire bottoming into the unibody trying to turn me to the right in the banking, and an open diff streetcar trans because the input shaft on the race transmission snapped in half in practice. Cutting the RR tire in the middle of T2 at 148mph was a lot of fun too... It would probably do a sub 33 now.

The car should be sub 1:17s at WSIR and we'll see in a week or two what we can do at BW
You think if the car was perfectly dialed in and the right day with the right tires you could run a 1:30? Those 1:30s make it seem like I'm doing a parade lap with my car at a 2:02. I did pick up an RS that has higher wing uprights and front bumper scopes so I should be able to crack the 2 minute mark on my next visit.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #820
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Went to Laguna Seca with PCA-GGR. Nice people. Nice event. INCREDIBLE weather! Sound limit was 90 db.....I kept getting black flagged for sound--they said my supercharged M3, with full stock exhaust except track pipes was 94 db.....so I had to do my best to stay within the sound limits. I put my old stock x-pipe-with-track-pipe on just for Laguna......I'm frustrated because during my trip to Laguna in July, I requested a sound check. On that trip, I had an Akra X-pipe with a stock exhaust, and I only tested at 92.9db......so the track is telling me that at wide open throttle, the stock x-pipe with track pipe is louder than the Akra x-pipe........whatever.....

E90 M3
Other mods: VF620, Track pipes with stock exhaust, (no aero parts, full interior)

This was my first time on Hoosiers R6. Nice tires! They hook up the blower's power very nicely. I still need more time to get used to them. Anyway, I was stuck in traffic most of the time. But they had a time trial, so I got two open track laps. With minimal work 1:38 will be easy with R6. The data shows I was on an easy mid-1:38 pace on the second time trial lap through the Corkscrew, and then gave it all away in Turn 9. My line through Turn 9 has been all wrong. My goal is 1:37 now at that track with R6. (Ran 1:39.2 on Hankook TD)

Anyway, I took second place in the time trial. First place went to forum member Ti-Jean, who had his GT3 out there! He ran 1:38.6 I believe, and this was his first visit to the track. With the sound limit, no truly fast track-dedicated Porsches could even show up. And the 997-GT3's simply blew sound constantly. Geez, the event organizer's 997-GT3 was constantly blowing the sound limit and he had angled pipes. He was tippy-toeing up that hill to make the limit.....Is it true that most track days will be 90 db next year? What a shame for such an amazing place......
That's a great time man. You'll only get faster as you get used to the R6s. PCA GGR definitely puts on a great event and is the best CA/NV PCA group in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to do a few days with them at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill. I meet a great group of guys from Nor Cal.

As for Laguna Seca, what a bunch of BS with that 90db limit and yes most of the 2014 track days will have the low 90db limit (and they'll keep lowering it too in the future is my guess). A stock 997 GT3 will do about a 93-95db so most guys have to plug the exhaust by-pass value so the side mufflers don't close above 4,000rpm (this is how the side mufflers get fried and crack) so they can pass the 93db limit days. At 90db there is no 997 GT3 that will pass sound even with angled pipes. Why don't they just go ahead and outlaw all gas powered cars and only allow electric cars and get it over with? Hell, the only car I'll ever be able to take up there for their 90db track day is my electric Prius.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #821
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
T9 is where you can pickup a lot of time, but gotta be careful. That's where Wayne Rainey died, hence T9 being called "Rainey Curve."
Interesting story, but he's not dead

It's still a very intimidating corner at speed.
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #822
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:

E90 M3

Impressive times! You and that GT3 would be competitive in the Grand-Am CTSCC with your stock cars (and yours with no aero)!

Have any pics of your car? How much whp are you putting down?

I think you could be flat through Turn 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I think that was the straightaway speed. I'm sure he dropped 40-50mph through T1 and T2. FWIW stock cars dont go much faster than 155mph through the apex of 1-2. We were about that speed too (155) in the NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
You think if the car was perfectly dialed in and the right day with the right tires you could run a 1:30? Those 1:30s make it seem like I'm doing a parade lap with my car at a 2:02. I did pick up an RS that has higher wing uprights and front bumper scopes so I should be able to crack the 2 minute mark on my next visit.
That's 4 seconds faster than what we did under less than ideal conditions, so with the new aero and chassis improvements, I would say its attainable.

Last edited by Billj747; 11-26-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #823
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
Interesting story, but he's not dead

It's still a very intimidating corner at speed.
So, he isn't (I just google'd). I blame a CA at Long Beach BMW for that mis-info.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #824
Straight flexin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747
Quote:

E90 M3

Impressive times! You and that GT3 would be competitive in the Grand-Am CTSCC with your stock cars (and yours with no aero)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I think that was the straightaway speed. I'm sure he dropped 40-50mph through T1 and T2. FWIW stock cars dont go much faster than 155mph through the apex of 1-2. We were about that speed too (155) in the NSX.

Quote:
That's 4 seconds faster than what we did under less than ideal conditions, so with the new aero and chassis improvements, I would say its attainable.
Going in to T1 I'm flat... my speedo said 180 Something. But at the apex I'm probably at 160 on speedo. I dunno how far off this is, it could be 20mph slower. I dunno because I didn't get gps speed. It's crazy how much speed you actually scrub and my right rear tire hitting the inside of the wheel well I'm sure slows me down a lil too .
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #825
Straight flexin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747
Quote:
^ he also runs a 1:18 at WSIR and a 1:39 at Buttonwillow C13 I believe...its an insane nsx with around 800hp
That 1:36 was on low boost, 2 generations old aero, the RF tire bottoming into the unibody trying to turn me to the right in the banking, and an open diff streetcar trans because the input shaft on the race transmission snapped in half in practice. Cutting the RR tire in the middle of T2 at 148mph was a lot of fun too... It would probably do a sub 33 now.

The car should be sub 1:17s at WSIR and we'll see in a week or two what we can do at BW
Are you going to big willow on dec 1? And are you running redline timeattack next year?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #826
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks for the comments guys!

@ Billyj747----these are slo mo times compared to the stuff you guys do--hahaha--but I'm out there having fun regardless! Guys like Cody are tearing it up out there. I'm happy with my 1:57 at BW 13CW for now.

My M3, according to the dyno at EAS, has about 550whp, on 100 octane and track pipes.

Here are a few pics. The corkscrew was from this weekend. Ti-Jean's GT3 is right behind me. The sideshot is from Buttonwillow. And I included a current street setup pic. The car is still totally streetable----I put street pads into the AP calipers, dial back the JRZ and put street wheels back on. No one has any clue what the car really is.

Flat through Turn 1 at Laguna-----hehe, i think that would require more balls than what I bring to the track! My GPS says I was doing 125mph going over that hill on some laps as it is.....is it possible at that speed for the front wheel to catch air at the crest? I felt at least once like the front wheel lifted......that was an-----interesting moment....hahaha

Are you going to be in the SoCal area doing time attack stuff soon? If so, which events?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #827
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

^You're still doing CTSCC race-pace lap times in a 4door street car. Very impressive. I think there's a 36-37 in there

I will be at the ExtremeSpeed event at BW in the NSX to on the 7-8th.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #828
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Here are a few pics
Man, IB must be the chameleon of M3 colors.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #829
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
^You're still doing CTSCC race-pace lap times in a 4door street car. Very impressive. I think there's a 36-37 in there

I will be at the ExtremeSpeed event at BW in the NSX to on the 7-8th.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm definitely working for the 1:37's. For me, doing a 1:36 would take some super clean/consistent driving------and no worrying about sound limits! Unfortunately, I don't get up to NorCal that often. Got there twice this year.

Good luck at ExtremeSpeed!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #830
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
That's a great time man. You'll only get faster as you get used to the R6s. PCA GGR definitely puts on a great event and is the best CA/NV PCA group in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to do a few days with them at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill. I meet a great group of guys from Nor Cal.
You still havent been to one of my events.
      11-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #831
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
You still havent been to one of my events.
Post up your 2014 schedule up so I can check out the dates and plan ahead.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #832
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Big willow -WSIR
1:32:8

E92 M3 DCT
Tires - 275/18 Rs3 square
Brakes - stock w/ hawk dc70 front and stock rear
Exhaust/Engine - stock with Dinan muffler
Suspension - kw clubsport
No aero

Also congrats to Mcorsa putting down a 1:32:0 in his stock 996 GT3 (on rs3 tires that are smaller than stock 235/275)

And monster times to
Rif 1:30 (ad08r/jrz/bbk/full exhaust/aero) and
Cody/str8flexin 1:27(TD/kw/full exhaust/bbk/Ess SC/aero)

Last edited by TheKosherStogie; 12-01-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #833
Straight flexin
Private First Class
Rep

Wsir

Big willow
1:27.1
Streets of willow ccw
1:21.5
2013 e92 m3
285/30/18 hankook td- volk te37
Ess600, kw 3way clubsport, apr gtc-250, apr splitter, brembo gt bbk
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #834
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Big willow
Streets of willow ccw
2013 e92 m3
1:27:1 OMG
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #835
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

^^ seriously thats fast
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #836
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Big willow -WSIR
1:32:8

E92 M3 DCT
Tires - 275/18 Rs3 square
Brakes - stock w/ hawk dc70 front and stock rear
Exhaust/Engine - stock with Dinan muffler
Suspension - kw clubsport
No aero
1:32 on RS3 & no aero, that's fast! All ballz.

Quote:
Big willow
Streets of willow ccw
2013 e92 m3
1:27!! You're on a tear!
Appreciate 0