BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
E92 M3 stock exhaust vs. Borla ATAK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q26W7LWy4zk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Took this from Turner Motor Sports' page for their description of the Borla ATAK:
" This system is light, weighing in at only 34 lbs -- 21 pounds lighter than stock! This exhaust flows much more freely with less restriction than the stock rear muffler section, and features Borla's ATAK™ (Acoustically-Tuned Applied Kinetics) technology. This exclusive technology produces the highest available dB (decibel) levels in the BORLA® street-legal lineup, and is designed for high-performance purists who prefer exhaust notes over their stereos. The focus of ATAK™ is to pump the volume while retaining clarity of sound, at the same time avoiding the drone and distortion typically found in louder exhausts. With ATAK™, the sound output is tuned like a graphic equalizer to shape and focus sound waves for optimum high-volume output. It's made of the highest grade T-304 stainless steel, and has beautifully made symmetrical 3.5 inch quad exhaust tips."

The sound quality on this is amazing and although I've been told that the change in HP & Torque is minimal at 3% of stock by Turner, I can feel the difference. Maybe because of the loss in weight?

I also have an Evolve tune on my car which increases my HP by 10hp with increased throttle response so maybe they work well together.

As I learn more, I'll continue to post and as I do anything additional to the car, I'll post as well.

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
showcase
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Very nice, what sort of performance gains can be expected with this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by showcase View Post
If its just a muffler none
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

No drone either, great loud exhaust. Kudo's to Borla on their design!

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk
No drone either, great loud exhaust. Kudo's to Borla on their design!

Thanks! I'm new to this forum and I've just started tuning my car. I'm not really doing too much as I'm running the car in autocross which I'm fairly new to as well.

Mainly, i joined this forum so that I can learn from other M3 owners who have much more experience than me.

Short term goals: Intake, headers, KW Variant 3's, 18x10's w Hoosiers A6's (all obviously for autocross purposes)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

how do you post the YouTube videos to the thread like that?

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by showcase
I am still learning everything about tuning the car but I've spoken to Turner Motor Sports and RCT Performance who installed my exhaust and both have told me that the main benefits are the light weight of the exhaust which is 21 lbs. less than stock and a much louder exhaust sound. As far as performance, Turner said there is a 3% increase in HP and Torque which would equal out to roughly 12 HP.

Turner Motor Sports' Description:
"This system is light, weighing in at only 34 lbs -- 21 pounds lighter than stock! This exhaust flows much more freely with less restriction than the stock rear muffler section, and features Borla's ATAK™ (Acoustically-Tuned Applied Kinetics) technology. This exclusive technology produces the highest available dB (decibel) levels in the BORLA® street-legal lineup, and is designed for high-performance purists who prefer exhaust notes over their stereos. The focus of ATAK™ is to pump the volume while retaining clarity of sound, at the same time avoiding the drone and distortion typically found in louder exhausts. With ATAK™, the sound output is tuned like a graphic equalizer to shape and focus sound waves for optimum high-volume output. It's made of the highest grade T-304 stainless steel, and has beautifully made symmetrical 3.5 inch quad exhaust tips."

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
Welcome to the forum Rae. If what you have is just an exhaust, no gains can be had, but you will have a nice sounding car. To really see and feel a difference, I would suggest getting an X-Pipe with High Flow Cats, Intake, Pulleys, and Tune. Some folks in NY run catless, but fail emissions test. Also you should have done a baseline dyno before putting the exhaust on. Just my 2 cents, I'm pretty sure someone here can chime in and give better suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z
Welcome to the forum Rae. If what you have is just an exhaust, no gains can be had, but you will have a nice sounding car. To really see and feel a difference, I would suggest getting an X-Pipe with High Flow Cats, Intake, Pulleys, and Tune. Some folks in NY run catless, but fail emissions test. Also you should have done a baseline dyno before putting the exhaust on. Just my 2 cents, I'm pretty sure someone here can chime in and give better suggestions.
what's up brother? yea I posted this up cuz I've noticed that there were no sound comparisons for the Borla ATAK anywhere. im gonna start working on the mid pipes and yea catless would mean I wouldn't pass inspections. I'm waiting till my season is over before I do the majority of the work on the car because if I do one thing, I'm out of class and then I'm competing with fully tuned cars for the class. Everything I'm doing will probably run my roughly 10-15k on top of what I've already done and if I do one thing, I gotta do em all.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
You don't really need all that power for what you are doing unless you want to move up class. KW V3 with EDC would probably do you more good than any other mods. Also put your car on a serious diet, Gixxer is selling his Roll Cage and Recaro seats. I have a list of things I want to do, but will have to wait till I move to NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
what's up brother? yea I posted this up cuz I've noticed that there were no sound comparisons for the Borla ATAK anywhere. im gonna start working on the mid pipes and yea catless would mean I wouldn't pass inspections. I'm waiting till my season is over before I do the majority of the work on the car because if I do one thing, I'm out of class and then I'm competing with fully tuned cars for the class. Everything I'm doing will probably run my roughly 10-15k on top of what I've already done and if I do one thing, I gotta do em all.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Thanks! I'm new to this forum and I've just started tuning my car. I'm not really doing too much as I'm running the car in autocross which I'm fairly new to as well.

Mainly, i joined this forum so that I can learn from other M3 owners who have much more experience than me.

Short term goals: Intake, headers, KW Variant 3's, 18x10's w Hoosiers A6's (all obviously for autocross purposes)

Forget the headers, the ones that have been shown are vaporware and they don't really add any hp in the rpm range you will be using this car,forgetting the fact they are uber expensive. The factory headers are a work of art.

Heres a pic of the S65, notice the OEM headers.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z
You don't really need all that power for what you are doing unless you want to move up class. KW V3 with EDC would probably do you more good than any other mods. Also put your car on a serious diet, Gixxer is selling his Roll Cage and Recaro seats. I have a list of things I want to do, but will have to wait till I move to NM.

Quote:
I think the most expensive mod I'm doing to the car are the suspension which I'm getting mixed responses on because I might do KW V3's with Vorschlag camber or KW Clubsport but I've gotten some people to recommend Moton's which obviously are best except they are expensive and they are custom so I'd need to gve them the specs rather than an adjustable KW coil over.

lol I was gonna throw in the VF supercharger but decided its dumb to have 700 horses running around New York City.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:

Forget the headers, the ones that have been shown are vaporware and they don't really add any hp in the rpm range you will be using this car,forgetting the fact they are uber expensive. The factory headers are a work of art.

Heres a pic of the S65, notice the OEM headers.

Dave
yea you're the 3rd person to tell me to leave the headers alone. I kinda still want the intake cuz I want the volume it'll add even tho the performance differential will not be too noticeable.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
yea you're the 3rd person to tell me to leave the headers alone. I kinda still want the intake cuz I want the volume it'll add even tho the performance differential will not be too noticeable.
I have an AFE intake Sgt. 2 that uses the OEM box but the snorkel is different. Maybe worth only a few more hp than a OEM filter replacement such as a AFE, K&N, Green, BMC...to name a few. However, the intake sound along with the exhaust is intoxicating.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [6.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I have an AFE intake Sgt. 2 that uses the OEM box but the snorkel is different. Maybe worth only a few more hp than a OEM filter replacement such as a AFE, K&N, Green, BMC...to name a few. However, the intake sound along with the exhaust is intoxicating.

Dave
yea that's exactly what I want it for. Who cares about horsepower? LOL. Bean by Bean, 5 hp here, 12 hp there, all of a sudden you're working with 475hp and lightening the car will definitely make that extra hp go a long way!

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #15
M3william
Enlisted Member
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mineral White E92 M3

Hey, sorry for coming into an old thread, but I'm looking currently for a good exhaust.
This exhaust caught my attention both because of price and sound, so I was wondering if you could tell me more or less how louder is the ATAK system with just the axle-back and OEM x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
Redline Bandit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

I am looking at this exhaust as well. Are you still happy with it? How loud is it really?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

The ATAK is a race exhaust, in the realm of an AA Signature or Eisenmann Race for example.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
CP Louie
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Race Car

NICE
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #19
dtm4me
Peachstate CCA member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3, 05 Gallardo, 91 964

Good stuff! Gonna be loud and mean with test and x pipes when you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Michael.db
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Bmw

E92 M3 Exhaust

Hey Guys, i'm new to this forum just reading some of the comments on different exhaust set up's great to see there are people out there that pass on information. i'm doing some mod's to my M3 and not sure on what to do with the exhaust, as i have recently found out the price on good quality aftermarket exhaust systems come with a hefty price tag.
Does anyone have some Dyno graphs to share with OEM exhaust to Aftermarket exhaust systems ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #21
Drift Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

I have Borla Atak on my e90. It's actually pretty mellow inside and it sounds great on the outside. Not too quiet or too loud. Just right.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #22
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

I also have the atak on my e90 however i also have it paired with turner test pipes and the thing screams! oh and add a BPM tune...forget about it!

2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue - mOBridge DA1 \ Helix DSP Pro \ HAT Legatia L4SE Carbon \ HAT L1 Pro R2 \ HAT Clarus C10SW-D2 (2) \ Jehnert XE200 \ Hertz HDP1 \ Hertz HDP 4 \ Hertz HCP 2
Appreciate 0