BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

For $$ wheels, do you hand torque or impact wrench

I'm gong to throw this out there...
For $$$ , if not using studs, and a standard bolt sits deep inside the hole, even with the ~best~ thinnest thinwall socket out there, if you hand tighten the bolt and then hand torque, it will deflect the socket.....to a degree. Deflect to a point where it may rub the side. (this is from a avid hand torque wheels only - no impact tools).

However, I've started using the impact more lately....unless I'm going crazy but just due to the mechanical differences on how the socket is driven, as long as the socket is held stead...I let the torque stick do most of the grunt work and either I back off when it's clicking or I just give it a final hand torque.

Just throwing this out there and seeing what your methods are...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

just buy the socket with the plastic cover or make your own. Problem solved /Thread

I thought everyone generally used the covers. I use an impact gun and I have some pretty bling wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

or just tape your socket with electrical tape, or painter's tape... improperly using an impact could cause more damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
just buy the socket with the plastic cover or make your own. Problem solved /Thread

I thought everyone generally used the covers. I use an impact gun and I have some pretty bling wheels
Yup, can get those fairly cheap on various web sites.
      12-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

i don't use those nylon covered sockets.....it's the same as tape ..
and I have done the electrical tape thing but that's not going to help if the socket is so close to the clearance hole that it's close to metal on metal.

I find the impact in use helps when it's applicable to a lug bolt sitting DEEP inside a wheel hole that has very minimal clearance. It really depends on the design of the wheel.

I even have a custom set of full fiberglass core sockets but when the clearances are so thin....I would rather minimize the deflection of the socket via hand torquing then using the lug wrench where it's deflects less . Hard to explain until you've worked on a wheel where the bolt is sitting deep in the hole.

Impact wrench like any tool is only is good as the operator using that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
i don't use those nylon covered sockets.....it's the same as tape ..
and I have done the electrical tape thing but that's not going to help if the socket is so close to the clearance hole that it's close to metal on metal.

I find the impact in use helps when it's applicable to a lug bolt sitting DEEP inside a wheel hole that has very minimal clearance. It really depends on the design of the wheel.

I even have a custom set of full fiberglass core sockets but when the clearances are so thin....I would rather minimize the deflection of the socket via hand torquing then using the lug wrench where it's deflects less . Hard to explain until you've worked on a wheel where the bolt is sitting deep in the hole.

Impact wrench like any tool is only is good as the operator using that.
I had a few sets of wheels where the lug bolt was deep inside the hole. Never had a problem with the nylon sockets as the worst that will happen is you get a little color from the plastic rub off onto your wheel which is easily removable with some cleaning products. Personally, I hate when the dealer or some tire guy takes the impact wrench to my lug bolts as its so easy to over-torque the bolts that way and as someone else mentioned, the risk of major disaster looms with the impact wrench if you make a little mistake.
      12-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I have a full set of air tools, and have never used an impact wrench on my wheels. And if at all, I'd only use them to break the lug nuts/bolts loose. I don't have a rubber cover for my sockets either, but never needed it. If you're careful, and use a proper extension, no need to, but sounds like good insurance. Much better to know your wheels are properly torqued by hand. And don't forget you're supposed to incrementally torque them. Good day.
Appreciate 0