BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

02-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW

Middle Class???

Can someone define the standard of Middle Class living?

At what point does one move from Lower class to Middle class. Middle to Upper class? Is it based on income, net worth, living conditions....etc???
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

I'd say it's based on income
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

So at what income do you make the crossover between classes? At 100k does that mean you are upper middle class?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
I'd say it's based on income
i'll go with income as well but legal income
      02-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
i'll go with income as well but legal income
haha word dude!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i think middle class can't be defined by income alone. cost of living has much to do with it. i think if you were to define a class, it would be better definable by how much money is left after all the bills are paid. for example: someone making $50k year after taxes could easily be middle class in somewhere like texas, where the cost of living is low; whereas the same person would almost be in a lower class in california, where the cost of living is high.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i think middle class can't be defined by income alone. cost of living has much to do with it. i think if you were to define a class, it would be better definable by how much money is left after all the bills are paid. for example: someone making $50k year after taxes could easily be middle class in somewhere like texas, where the cost of living is low, whereas the same person would almost be in a lower class in california, where the cost of living is high.
Good point.

Factor in income, cost of living and overall lifestyle...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

you can even add education in there if you want. maybe it's a person's overall net worth?
      02-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

Who cares about income....i have a friend who received inheritance and lives upppper class, although he only makes like 75k.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I think it's mostly income. A lower class is something like $10-20k. So if someone is making $50k a year he/she is considered middle class. Region-based incomes don't necessarily come into play and here's why: wages/salaries are usually reflected upon the area in which a person works. So let's take for example CA. A house in Sacramento is cheaper than here because there are less jobs there and there aren't as many people. Thus when there are job openings, the hourly wage is lower than in cities like Cupertino.

The standards of living are the still the same because it's not like McDonald's in Sactown is cheaper or more expensive than say in San Francisco. The cost of living is the same for both cities are virtually the same. I mean it's not like a person making $50k in cupertino (considered middle class) is all of a sudden in upper class in Sacramento.

As for lifestyle, well that's just personal preferences. If you're making $50k a year and spends $48k on stuff it doesn't mean that you're in the lower class. It just means you need to stop spending money on stuff you don't need. I mean if you're making $50k a year and spends $1,000 on a car lease every month, that doesn't mean you're poor. It just means that you're spending lavishly and probably are living above your means. While some people would argue that $20,000 a year is middle class in some areas, I don't believe that's true. I mean yes you can live on $20k a year but that's sure as hell not middle class. I don't care what your standards of living are or which area of the country you live in, $20k a year is not middle class. Even if you don't eat anything all year to save that $20k to spend on other stuff, it does not make you upper class.

So yeah, I think the separations between the classes are based on incomes and not much else. There was a thread a while back on how most Costco members are middle class customers. Guess what they based that on? That's right, income!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileydog View Post
Who cares about income....i have a friend who received inheritance and lives upppper class, although he only makes like 75k.
There is a difference between someone who is a true upper class vs someone that was born into upper class. Let me ask you this, if your friend continues to make $50k-75k a year, how long do you think he would remain in upper class? Unless he's inherited a fortune (and I mean something in the millions of millions), it wouldn't last long. Think about it: cars, property tax, & bills. What I'm trying to say is that you can't survive long in upper class by making only $50-75k. That's pretty much where the middle class lies.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

On average, I think upper middle class ultimately depends on level of education. People who obtain graduate degrees/MBA/MD/JD/PHD...etc...basically professional white collar jobs such as Dentist, Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor, Finance...those people usually make somewhere around $100K+ family income. These are your typical people that American society uses as the average family that we strive for.

Middle class is like your basic BS/BA degree from a University. They will work at places such as Govt jobs, retail, Admins, ..etc.

Upper class...those are people who are making like 500k+. It is common that they have positions of political power, CEOs, specialty doctors (brain surgeons)...etc. Most of them have IVY education such as Harvard MBA, standford medical school...etc.

Education will drive job category. Job will drive Income. Income drives lifestyle. The underlying theme is level of education.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileydog View Post
On average, I think upper middle class ultimately depends on level of education. People who obtain graduate degrees/MBA/MD/JD/PHD...etc...basically professional white collar jobs such as Dentist, Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor, Finance...those people usually make somewhere around $100K+ family income. These are your typical people that American society uses as the average family that we strive for.

Middle class is like your basic BS/BA degree from a University. They will work at places such as Govt jobs, retail, Admins, ..etc.

Upper class...those are people who are making like 500k+. It is common that they have positions of political power, CEOs, specialty doctors (brain surgeons)...etc. Most of them have IVY education such as Harvard MBA, standford medical school...etc.

Education will drive job category. Job will drive Income. Income drives lifestyle. The underlying theme is level of education.
there are plenty of drop outs that have made themselves very very successful. i wouldn't say education is THE underlying reason.
      02-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there are plenty of drop outs that have made themselves very very successful. i wouldn't say education is THE underlying reason.
I am saying on Average. Yes there are the outliers who quit school and start Microsoft or just go straight to the NBA. But those are rare situations. On average to make a decent salary...most people need education.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I think middle class is a relatively new concept and defined by income and profession.

Lower-middle = office worker, postmen
middle-middle = middle management, electrician
upper-middle = doctor, lawyer

On a side note, I remember there are 2 tiers for upper class; lower and upper. People who have made their wealth on their own are considered lower-upper class (Bill Gates) and upper-upper class is something you need to be born into (Paris Hilton). So taking that into consideration class has to be defined by more than money alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Lower = less than 30k/year
upper = over 100K/year

cheers.
      02-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Class Structure in America:

High Upper Class: (>$500k/yr income)
multi-millionaires, celebrities, powerful execs
Top 1%

Upper Class: (household net worth ~$1M or more)
graduate degrees, engineers, doctors, lawyers, upper management, execs
the next 4%

Middle Class: (household income <$100k/yr)
college educated working professionals, desk workers, etc
the middle 45%

Working Class: (household income ~50k/yr)
blue collar, high school educated, low job security
the next 40%

Poor: (below poverty line)
low quality jobs, food service, government handouts, etc
the bottom 10%
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

It's all a matter of how much taxes you pay. Lower class pays no taxes because they have little income. Upper class pays little to no taxes because they can afford to invest in the loopholes of the tax system to avoid paying taxes. The middle class is the class that pays the taxes because we have income but not enough to afford the ways to not paying taxes.

So the question you should ask yourself is if you pay any taxes. If you do then you are midlle class otherwise you're not.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #19
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
High Upper Class: (>$500k/yr income)
multi-millionaires, celebrities, powerful execs
Top 1%

Upper Class: (household net worth ~$1M or more)
graduate degrees, engineers, doctors, lawyers, upper management, execs
the next 4%

Middle Class: (household income <$100k/yr)
college educated working professionals, desk workers, etc
the middle 45%

Working Class: (household income ~50k/yr)
blue collar, high school educated, low job security
the next 40%

Poor: (below poverty line)
low quality jobs, food service, government handouts, etc
the bottom 10%
Dang! I know at least 50 doctors that make >$500K!
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Dang! I know at least 50 doctors that make >$500K!
I never said it couldn't be done. I know a couple also. This is far outside the norm, however. Most doctors can hope to pull a couple hundred thousand at best. As with anything, there are a few who fall outside the norm.

Remember though, for all intents and purposes, this is a loose guide of who typically make up certain classes...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 01:38 AM   #21
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Id say
Low= under 30k/year
Middle=50k/year
Upper=100k/year
High Upper=200k/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
I agree. I never completed college, but anyone who knows me will agree I am one of the more intelligent people they know. Not all learning is done in a classroom. And there are plenty of good jobs out there with more or less no ceiling for income with only a high school education.
Appreciate 0