BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #23
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeung330xi View Post
some of mentioned renting a car and driving...

i am most concerned about reading road signs... any issues?

and did you rent from local car rental facilities or the major chains that we have here
all the signs are in English
just recognize the no speed limit areas (bars through the posted limit), ask for a car with GPS, and do not go over the speed limit, you will get caught
If someone is coming up behind you in the left lane faster, move over to the right one. Left blinker in the left lane means "I want to pass you, move over"
don't drive like the tards in North America (yeah, people drive like tards in NA) and be courteous on the roads!

it is super fun and easy to drive in Germany
      08-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #24
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
all the signs are in English
just recognize the no speed limit areas (bars through the posted limit), ask for a car with GPS, and do not go over the speed limit, you will get caught
If someone is coming up behind you in the left lane faster, move over to the right one. Left blinker in the left lane means "I want to pass you, move over"
don't drive like the tards in North America (yeah, people drive like tards in NA) and be courteous on the roads!

it is super fun and easy to drive in Germany
I've encountered some pretty terrible European drivers as well in my 7+ years living here.... Especially when you come flying up in the fast lane and they don't feel like moving...
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #25
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
I've encountered some pretty terrible European drivers as well in my 7+ years living here.... Especially when you come flying up in the fast lane and they don't feel like moving...
but in general, I've found they are a bit more aware of their surrounding than in North America
      08-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
but in general, I've found they are a bit more aware of their surrounding than in North America
Usually the people that are in your way are people with 3 letters in the license plate. One Letter, like S for Stuttgart or F for Frankfurt represent big cities, and are more acustomed to autobahn driving. Two letters, like BA for Bamberg or SW for Schweinfurt, are also well acustomed to autobahn driving as well. It is the 3 letter little towns (NUE or WAK for example), usually in the country away from major roads that are terrible drivers for the most part. But yes, compared to North America, the highway flow is usually much more efficient.

Here is an example of what I meant....

1 Letter (Major City of Frankfurt):

Two Letters would have two before the registration stickers, and three would obviously have three.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
Usually the people that are in your way are people with 3 letters in the license plate. One Letter, like S for Stuttgart or F for Frankfurt represent big cities, and are more acustomed to autobahn driving. Two letters, like BA for Bamberg or SW for Schweinfurt, are also well acustomed to autobahn driving as well. It is the 3 letter little towns (NUE or WAK for example), usually in the country away from major roads that are terrible drivers for the most part. But yes, compared to North America, the highway flow is usually much more efficient.

Here is an example of what I meant....

1 Letter (Major City of Frankfurt):

Two Letters would have two before the registration stickers, and three would obviously have three.
I know what you mean.. I used to be in HH :P
      08-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Watch on the autobahn in particular when it goes from no limit to a posted speed limit. I was riding over there (motorcycle) two months ago and I certainly took notice of going from doing 170+ km/hr to 80 km/hr pretty quickly.

I'm sure Germany has it's bad drivers but most, at least on the autobahn, are familiar with moving right after passing.

Ausfahrt means exit, not a rest area LOL
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I rented it for 10 days and it came to about 660 USD. The gas mileage was a ridiculous 45-50 mpg, and we drove over 2000 km during the trip.

The car was limited to a top speed of 190 kmph. I actually found the smaller german roads and driving in switzerland and italy more enjoyable than driving at top speed on the autobahn. Didn't come across any left lane hoggers like here in the US but there were many who flaunted the speed limits in all these three countries. I just stuck to what everyone advises here regarding not going over the speed limit.

Quote:
^

wow its pretty cheap to rent a 1 series $30 USD a day with unlimited kms...

is this true or is there some hidden fees i dont see yet.

Last edited by Gesler; 08-28-2012 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Gas prices over there are ludicrous LOL. Makes any $4/gal complaint in the US look like STFU.

We spent on average 40-50 Euro a day filling up two motorcycles
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #31
BLK_08E90
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E70 X5d

Just spent 3 months there, Ingolstadt which was just north of Munich. Watch out for the signs on the autobahn, I got 3 tickets and the rental company will just bill you after a month or so. Definitely go to Prague, 2-3 hr drive from Munich, and have come Absinthe ice cream. Also find out if there are any festival going on, usually got a good beer garden with regular brew beer and sometimes special festive beer.
Other places to go that are close by Munich:
- Ulm Munster, pretty old gothic church and you can climb the 768 steps
- Salzburg Austria castle, salt mine tour and eagles nest (specially if your military)
- Zurich and rhinefall Switzerland
- Belgium, closer to cologne though
- Neuschwanstein castle, packed with tourist though
- BMW museum, Audi museum (Ingolstadt 40 min north of Munich on A9), porsche in Stuttgart
- BMW welt an factory tour, if you need a specific part for your bmw and need a part number, just ask one of the staff and they will kindly get it for you
- Hops museum in WolNzach if your a beer brewer
- Dacau concentration camp
- hofbrauhaus is over rated but still a must, good pork knuckle
- Berlin if you have tim, 5-6 hr train ride from Munich,pack some beer forthe train ride

Try all the beer you can if your a beer drinker, downside is it will suck when your back in the states. Have fun and be safe
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #32
yeung330xi
Jordan aka The GOAT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Garage List
^ thanks!
I will def be going to some of those places you mentioned.

I just booked my factory tours this morning! super excited for that

How is the Dacau concentration camp?
      08-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #33
yeung330xi
Jordan aka The GOAT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330XI

Garage List
and this maybe a stupid question but you can get by with just english?
i don't know a spit of germany
      08-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #34
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and this maybe a stupid question but you can get by with just english?
i don't know a spit of germany
You'll be fine
Germans are actually friendly.